Goodreads Authors/Readers discussion

Groovy Lee
This topic is about Groovy Lee
XI. Misc > AMAZON GIVEAWAY--How do you like it?

Comments Showing 1-39 of 39 (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Groovy (last edited Jun 08, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments So, I did the Amazon Giveaway--And let me say it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. In fact, I really like it. I thought it would last until the contest expired, but it was over in a matter of hours. I think it's better than spending a lot of time contacting bloggers who, nine times out of ten, won't respond back. Readers see your Giveaway, enter to win, and I think the odds of reviews are about the same as if you sent a free copy to a blogger. I' going to do another one now:)

Hopefully, I'll get some reviews:) I don't know how this will help in sales, but we'll see. I'd like to know how other authors are doing with this Giveaway. Any tips? Has it helped your sales?

message 2: by Christine (new)

Christine Hayton (ccmhayton) | 324 comments Groovy wrote: "... I thought it would last until the contest expired, but it was over in a matter of hours. ..."

How did you get it over with so quickly ????

message 3: by KarenK2 (new)

KarenK2 (kaykaykay60) I love entering the giveaways. I have read some great books because of them. I will give an honest review!

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia Ehrhardt (aliciabutcherehrhardt) Groovy wrote: "So, I did the Amazon Giveaway--And let me say it wasn't as scary as I thought it would be. In fact, I really like it. I thought it would last until the contest expired, but it was over in a matter ..."

Was that an ebook or print giveaway? Thanks.

message 5: by Don (new)

Don Sansone | 37 comments I created an Amazon Giveaway just after I released my latest book a few weeks ago, and I chose the option for the first (3) people to enter... I thought that would cause people to click. Unfortunately, I was a little confused because it gave me three links instead of one link where it would just end after the 3rd person won. I was sending them out via twitter and a created a group here on Goodreads to advertise. I think I got one taker from Twitter and one from Goodreads and third one was never claimed. I'm going to try it again when I have my Goodreads Giveaway going on starting this weekend...

The good part, at least from my perspective, is that it's cheaper than a print copy giveaway on Goodreads. I pay $2.99 for each copy I give away (priced at $2.99) but I get about $2.00 back in commission, so it only costs me about 99 cents and no shipping to give away a book...

I'll keep sharing my results but it's too early to tell. Right now, it helps me to feel like I'm doing "something" to spread the word... so it helps morale at least... :-)

Don Sansone
Light Along the Narrow Path by Don Sansone

message 6: by Groovy (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:00PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Christine wrote: "Groovy wrote: "... I thought it would last until the contest expired, but it was over in a matter of hours. ..."

How did you get it over with so quickly ????"

Christine--It may have been because I only did three. I wanted to test it out to see if there would be interest. Plus I put the word out on all of my forums.

Alicia--It was an ebook giveaway. And like Don mentioned, I like it better than print--so much cheaper and easier.

I'm doing another one right now for a different ebook for only 3 entrants. And if it does as well, I'm going to increase the number I giveaway.

I would love to hear how everyone is doing. Don, keep us posted:)

message 7: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Karen wrote: "I love entering the giveaways. I have read some great books because of them. I will give an honest review!"

Thank-you, Karen. I guess that means you were one of the winners. Thank-you for taking the time to enter--And for the upcoming review:)

message 8: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Well, I did a second giveaway, and it was over in a matter of hours, also. I think I'm hooked. I get so excited setting it up, then seeing the response; but I'm going to control myself. It seems as if you get a much better and quicker response than by contacting readers or bloggers to review your work. And the odds of getting reviews this way are about the same. You may get some reviews, you may not. But you are getting exposure.

I'm going to be hosting more of these giveaways. I recommend this to other authors.

message 9: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Spread it out to gain followers and exposure. Click on the option that they must follow you on Twitter to enter. My last giveaway I did 5 books. Every 150th entrant was a winner. I gained 750 followers. That's a lot if new readers exposed to the book.

message 10: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Wow, Effie. That's a great tip!!

message 11: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments My pleasure. My goodreads giveaways were also very successful. I've had over 800 people enter. i've done 3 goodreads giveaways, i believe. Let me know how your amazon giveaway goes. BTW I tried the new Amazon kindle edition giveaway. It was not nearly as successful. I'm not sure why.Maybe it was too new.

message 12: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Hey y'all. Silly question and I'm guessing that I totally overlooked the answer somewhere...

But do you have to be enrolled in KDP Select to do a giveaway? Like I see the button to set it up in Amazon.com, but when I log into Amazon.ca (Canadian here *hugs*) I can't find it anymore...?

Thanks for the help, guys!!
Hugs,
Ann

message 13: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments I don't believe you have to be in select. Up until recently, the giveaways were only done for the print books and they have nothing to do with select. Try going onto Amazon.com and not Amazon.ca and see if that makes a difference. I know when I do a countdown deal on the kindle I can only do it for US and Canada. Maybe it's the same with the print promotions.

message 14: by Don (new)

Don Sansone | 37 comments Effie wrote: "Spread it out to gain followers and exposure. Click on the option that they must follow you on Twitter to enter. My last giveaway I did 5 books. Every 150th entrant was a winner. I gained 750 follo..."

Yes, great idea, Effie! My first try was with nothing required... I'll give that a try next. I also have a Goodreads giveaway starting tomorrow. Hoping there is some synergy between the two promotions...
Thanks for sharing!
Don

message 15: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Effie wrote: "I don't believe you have to be in select. Up until recently, the giveaways were only done for the print books and they have nothing to do with select. Try going onto Amazon.com and not Amazon.ca..."

Ah, perhaps this is the problem. When I log in (because I'm Canadian) it prompts me to go to Amazon.ca. I'll have to see if there's a way to override this...hmm...yeah....thank you very much, MIss Effie!! :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 16: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Do you have author central accounts on Amazon.com and Amazon UK? It would be a big help, I believe. I tried to do one on Amazon.ca but I didn't see a way to do it. Not every amazon has access to it.

message 17: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Effie wrote: "Do you have author central accounts on Amazon.com and Amazon UK? It would be a big help, I believe. I tried to do one on Amazon.ca but I didn't see a way to do it. Not every amazon has access to it."

Yes, ma'am! I have an author central account on Amazon.com (I don't think it gave me another option?) Annnnd, now, I just checked and I can't even find the giveaways button on .com anymore LOL. I think I've gone blind. Or lost my mind. Or both. Yikes. Shall do some digging tonight and report back :)

Hugs,
Ann

message 18: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Click onto your book. scroll all the way to the bottom of the page, after the reviews. There will be a yellow button asking, do you want to start a giveaway. Make sure you are on the format you want to do the giveaway on.

message 19: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Miss Effie! :)

Thank you for the help, ma'am!! I still can't find it. And I know I've seen it before. Unless I totally imagined that LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Hart-Broken-Bo...

Am I missing something? *gulps*

Hugs,
Ann

message 20: by Groovy (last edited Jun 10, 2016 07:08PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Annie wrote: "Miss Effie! :)

Thank you for the help, ma'am!! I still can't find it. And I know I've seen it before. Unless I totally imagined that LOL

https://www.amazon.com/Hart-Broken-Bo......"

Annie, you're saying you went to Amazon.com, typed the title of your book in the search section, when book appears, clicked on book cover, then scrolled down after reviews to the button that prompts you to "start a giveaway", and it's still not working?

Maybe you should ask Amazon Help why?

Hope you get it worked out:)

message 21: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Are you logged into amazon? If you go in as a buyer you will not see it. you have to log into your amazon account and then it should be there on your book page

message 22: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Groovy: Yeppers. That's exactly what happened at first. But now...the button's totally vanished...*sniffles*

Seriously, though, I'll have to contact Amazon Help. Shall report back :)

Effie: Yes, ma'am. I'm logged into my Author Central (?) account...but...nothing... *narrows eyes at technology*

message 23: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Then I agree. At this point contact them for help. I have found their reps to be helpful and to be able to fix any glitches I was having

message 24: by Annie (new)

Annie Arcane (anniearcane) | 59 comments Effie wrote: "Then I agree. At this point contact them for help. I have found their reps to be helpful and to be able to fix any glitches I was having"

Just wanted to say thank you, Miss Effie. That is all :)

message 25: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments You're welcome. Let us all know when you straighten it out.

message 26: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments In March, I did one, giving away 5 copies to every 50 people. The duration was for 2 weeks, but it ended within a day. For the winner's message, I mentioned if they could retrieve, read, and leave their thoughts about the book. So far, I haven't received any reviews from it.

I'm currently doing one for each of my books, Net Switch and Fogged Up Fairy Tale. I'm giving 7 eBook copies away for every 100, duration is 2 weeks, and I request they follow me on Amazon. Even if I don't get the amount of signups, I can either get gift codes for the remainder eBooks or do another giveaway for the remaining without additional costs.

If anyone is interested, here are the links to my giveaways"

Net Switch by Denise Baer - https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/1d187fa875e9780f

Fogged Up Fairy Tale by Denise Baer - https://giveaway.amazon.com/p/195445aa60a0ee0f

message 27: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments I'd love to know how your results are Denise. My print giveaways were far more successful than my e-book giveaway. I'm not sure why. I did the e-book giveaway the first week they began that promotion. that may be why. Also, having the giveaway linked to your twitter is a great idea. I got a lot of new followers that way. Once I tried the giveaway requesting that they follow me on amazon and the response wasn't as good.

message 28: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments Effie wrote: "I'd love to know how your results are Denise. My print giveaways were far more successful than my e-book giveaway. I'm not sure why. I did the e-book giveaway the first week they began that promoti..."

I'll let you know Effie. I did the follow me on Amazon because I'm not a Twitter fan. I know, I probably should learn it, but I don't spend much time there. Maybe it will lower the response, I don't know. I just hope I get some reviews from these giveaways.

message 29: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Let us all know, Denise:)

It's like I mentioned above, this is a lot easier than contacting readers or bloggers and asking them to review your work (it takes time sitting at your computer and going down a list) Nine times out of ten, bloggers are too busy to respond to your request; and it's been my experience that even though some readers will promise to give you a review, it usually doesn't happen for various reasons. So, the odds are about the same with giveaways.

I don't know about other authors, but if I send out 20 free books for HONEST reviews, I'd only receive 2 in return. So, I'm really excited about this new Giveaway from Amazon.

But like Effie said, I'm going to spread it out, don't do it all in one sitting, though I'm tempted:)

message 30: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments I resisted twitter at first also, Denise, but I was convinced it was a great marketing tool. and it was. In addition, I've made some really terrific contacts and I've developed relationships. I don't spend too much time on it. I just check in throughout the day and share posts and promos.

message 31: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments Groovy wrote: "It's like I mentioned above, this is a lot easier than contacting readers or bloggers and asking them to review your work (it takes time sitting at your computer and going down a list) "

Very true, Groovy. I sent out several requests to review bloggers, followed their instructions to the T, but only heard from a few. I'll definitely return to this thread to let you know the results.

Effie wrote: "I resisted twitter at first also, Denise, but I was convinced it was a great marketing tool. "

Many people love Twitter. It's entirely me. I'm a lazy promoter, I don't like reading online, and I haven't bothered to grasp the gist of it. When I go to my feed, it's links after links of promotions. It just feels like a lot of noise out there. As I say, everyone wants to be heard, but no one wants to listen. I just don't have the patience to go through the links and such, and I can't keep up. It's too quick for me, plus, I don't like the 140 constriction.

message 32: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments Denise I can agree with that. The 140 characters that is. It took me a while to get used to it. Not a huge fan but it has helped me.

message 33: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments I'm like Denise, I'm sorry to say, Effie. I'm so glad Twitter is working for you, but I don't like having to read and talk a lot. She hits it right on the nail when she states it's like a lot of noise.

I'm a very quiet person, so being on Goodreads, Facebook, which I don't like either, and I can be neglectful at times, and other promotional avenues, is quite a step up:)

message 34: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments I get it. I really do. I've taken advantage of every avenue I can find to promote my book and it seems to be working. It's time consuming and i'd rather use the time doing something else, but until the day comes that I can hire an assistant or PR person to do it for me, I'm stuck with it.

message 35: by Groovy (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:08PM) (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments I read this article from the Goodreads' Newsletter about the success of The Nightingale by Kristin Hannah that came out a year ago. One of the avenues that was successful was the Amazon Giveaway. And it isn't even in paperback yet. I've added a portion of what was written about it below:

St. Martin’s Press wanted to build a groundswell of reviews before publication. They knew that if they got the book into the hands of enough readers early on, the power of the story in The Nightingale would drive that all-important word-of-mouth buzz that can make a great book take off. They went big and ran giveaways for more than 200 copies of the book on Goodreads before publication.

"Giveaways are a fantastic way of generating early buzz and those crucial early reviews," said Laura Clark, Senior Marketing Director, St Martin’s Press. "What we love the most about giveaways on Goodreads is how when someone enters a giveaway, this also gets shared with their friends and followers in their newsfeed, creating a series of mini alerts about a book and helping more people discover it. Our team knew this book was something special – it became the book everyone wanted to read at the office – so we decided to go bigger than usual and commit to 200 books in giveaways."

The giveaways drove the first bit of sustained interest in the book on Goodreads. But giveaways alone won’t keep the momentum on any book, no matter how good. For that, you need to keep reminding people about a book. And to do that, paid advertising can be a powerful tool.

Of course the book has to be well written, but this really inspires me to do more Giveaways, and to offer more than just 3 at a time.

I'm doing as much as I can as regards to promoting my books. One other avenue I'm trying is magnetic car signs. They get a lot of attention. Of course, you have to drive in an area where book readers gather:) I've just started, but I hope this helps sales, too.

message 36: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments I read Nightingale and I loved it. However, I am already a Kristin Hannah fan. she's already a best selling author and is going to get automatic sales from readers waiting for her next book to come out. So this article is helpful somewhat, but it won't have the same impact for the unknown author.
You are correct, though. You have to use every means you can. That has been my experience so far. The giveaways have been great exposure and I've even received a few reviews from them. I have done a lot of advertising. I'll be happy to share the sites that worked for me and the ones that didn't. The most successful was bookbub during my last countdown. I was worried about investing the 620$ but my friends who used them assured me I would make my money back and then some. I sold thousands of books and got exposure to unlimited readers. I'm still seeing the benefits. My ranking pre countdown/bookbub was 119,000. The best rank that week was 123 in all kindle books and 33 in women's fiction. I've been holding around 19,000 now.
I've used :
kindle book review
e reader news today
my book cave
free kindles books and tips
just kindle books
good kindles

I've also done 3 blog tours They are great for exposure and reviews.

I'm lucky to have a niche audience. The Greek community. I've taken out ads on greek sites and joined greek Facebook pages. If you can zero in on a niche audience it's great.

There are a ton of book Facebook groups where you can post and promote your book info.

I'm sure you all know some of this or all of this but if not, I hope it helps.

message 37: by Denise (new)

Denise Baer | 321 comments Thanks for the information from the article, Groovy. I'll have to keep it in mind for future publications.

Effie, I don't understand the concept of a blog tour. I need to really look into this as a possibility. Isn't Bookbub a site that has to accept your book? If so, congratulations. As for the other sites, I'm going to look into those too. Thanks much.

I give you both a lot of credit for the amount of promotion you put into your books. Maybe the sales hasn't been a big deal to me yet. I don't know. I've tried Facebook and it does nothing except if I pay to boost my posts. Since I'm not a fan of Zuckerberg or Facebook, I'm not about to put my money there.

I've joined many groups on Google +, and try to join in conversations on LinkedIn and Goodreads. Since I now live in Germany, personal advertisement is limited. One thing I have created are magnetic bookmarks. Each bookmark has a unique quote from one of my books. I'm in a book club, and might join a writing group, so I plan to hand out a few of these at the next meeting.

Additional promotions I'm considering are a book sell sheet; when we finally get a house, put my books in a bird house in front for anyone to take and read; and do a Hangouts meeting for readers interested in my book and offer a copy or two. I have created a Storyboard on Pinterest for my first book, https://de.pinterest.com/denisebaer7/net-switch-storyboard/ . I need to do one for my second novel.

I wish you both luck with sales! You deserve it.

message 38: by Groovy (new)

Groovy Lee | 0 comments Effie, thank-you for such good advice. I'm going to try some of those avenues. Seems like Bookbub is a winner!

Denise, I hope all of your efforts go well for you. Keep us posted. I like your bookmark and the additional promotions part. Keep up the good work:)

message 39: by Effie (new)

Effie Kammenou (effiekammenou) | 720 comments It is a winner. Denise is correct. You do have to be accepted. If you don't get in the first time try again. It's worth it. Denise, you have certainly thought outside the box with your promotions. Let us know how it goes.