Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

What Are You Reading? > What Are You Reading? May 2014

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kellismith) | 183 comments Mod
Welcome! This ongoing discussion is your place to share what you are reading and what you think about it! It's fun to see what other people are reading in the community... plus you might discover a new book to read!

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I'm just about to finish a Confederaces of Dunces by John Kennedy Toole. Well written, but I cannot stand the main character. I wish his valve would close up for good.

message 3: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I stared Nineteen Minutes last Friday, and have been enjoying it. It about a school shooting and has the viewpoints of several different characters including the student that did the shooting. However, i sat it down and haven't had time to figure out where I placed it.

This morning I picked up Matilda for a quick light read. Sometimes it is good to read those classic children's books I either skipped or don't remember. Kinda nice having light reading with something heavy.

message 4: by Deb (last edited May 23, 2014 09:29AM) (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
I'm reading "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin (which the So Many Books discussion group is talking about on Sunday). I'm not used to this much excitement in one of our book group reads--already a man has gotten shot in a chest, a dead body has been found, and there are two people who have gone missing (one in the past, one in the present). The book jumps around from the present day to 30 years before quite a bit, which is taking some getting used to. Still, I can't wait to see how it all ties together!

message 5: by Kelli (new)

Kelli (kellismith) | 183 comments Mod
I've picked up Christopher Moore's latest, Serpent of Venice. If you enjoyed Fool, I have a feeling you're going to enjoy this book. Plus, who doesn't enjoy stories tied to Shakespeare? :)

message 6: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Deb wrote: "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter
I'm reading "Crooked Letter, Crooked Letter" by Tom Franklin (which the So Many Books discussion group is talking about on Sunday). I'm not used to th..."

I loved this book, and I wish I could have made the book discussion. I kept thinking of the song "Hazard" by Richard Marx while reading this book.

message 7: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments I just finished reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and had a hard time putting it down. Friendship and love. Family pride. Those in our lives that will do everything they can for us. This story just grabbed me.

message 8: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Melanie wrote: "I just finished reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and had a hard time putting it down. Friendship and love. Family pride. Those in our lives that will do everything ..."

Glad to hear you are liking it so well...makes me look forward to reading it for book group!

message 9: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 212 comments Deb wrote: "Glad to hear you are liking it so well...makes me look forward to reading it for book group! "

I'm trying to get my "required" reading done first. With June being the month of two vacations I didn't want to get too sidetracked.