Bailey's/Orange Women's Fiction Group discussion

The Glorious Heresies
This topic is about The Glorious Heresies
2016 Book of the Month > July 2016 The Glorious Heresies

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Val (last edited Jun 08, 2016 12:16PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val We will be reading the winner of the 2016 prize in July:
http://www.womensprizeforfiction.co.u...

For those who have already read it, what do you think?
Would you have preferred a different book to win?

message 3: by JenniferD (last edited Jun 09, 2016 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

JenniferD (booktrovert) | 343 comments Val wrote: "For those who have already read it, what do you think? Would you have preferred a different book to win?"

i have read The Glorious Heresies already. i was only so-so about it because it felt inconsistent (some parts were great and others were less so), and messy. (though the book straight out says it's messy. heh!) but definitely a good debut and mcinerney certainly evoked a raw slice of one side of cork. there's a lot to digest and talk about in the book, so it should make for a great discussion book for you all in july.

i was quite hoping The Portable Veblen would win - this book delighted me so much! :)

message 4: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I liked it, but then I like black humour a lot and was perhaps more prepared to overlook the inconsistencies and patchy quality. It is messy, but that suits the lives of the characters in a way, they are all quite messy too.
Veblen, on the other hand, annoyed the **** out of me.

message 5: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri | 49 comments I am waiting for this to come out as an e-book here in the US next month.. in the meantime, I read the Portable Veblen (loved it's angst) and the Improbability of Love (disappointed- I usually really like art world capers but this one felt clunky and needed some edits).

Jayme This book is on order for my local library, so I am hoping to get it by the end of the month. In the meantime trying to knock out the short list.

message 7: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I was quite disappointed in The Improbability of Love too Sheri. It isn't bad, but it could have been a lot better with a bit more liveliness and, as you say, a sympathetic editor.

message 8: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 680 comments Mod
still waiting for copy from library.

Diane Penny wrote: "still waiting for copy from library."

me too!

message 10: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 114 comments I've had a library hold for ages so I just checked, and the copies are still on order. I'll read this when it arrives but it won't likely be July now.

message 11: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val This win seems to have taken all the libraries by surprise.
The discussion thread will stay here, so please add your thoughts when you do get hold of a copy and read it.

message 12: by Jen (new) - added it

Jen | 114 comments I will do, thanks Val!

Jayme I'm also still waiting for my library hold :(

message 14: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val I have left this discussion as top priority, since several of you are still waiting for the book.

message 15: by Sheri (new) - added it

Sheri | 49 comments Fingers crossed, I hope it is worth the wait!

Jayme I finally was able to get my hold for the book and finished it today. It isn't what I usually read and I almost abandoned it around page 60, but I'm glad I decided to plow through it. It wasn't so much the subject matter that I found difficult, but the Dublin slang. I kept having to stop and look up terms to get the full meaning of the dialogue.
There is nothing redeeming about these characters (which I usually don't like in a book, but I knew it would be that way going in) as they claw their way through poverty, bad choices, and uterus roulette, but it made for very interesting reading.
I never would have read it if it wasn't for the fact that it won the Bailey's/Orange Prize and it was a group read, so good choice.

message 17: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val They are a bad lot and it is difficult to find anything positive to say about these characters. If any of them have any redeeming feature it would be that several of them have someone they care for (mother, girlfriend, son, friend, etc.) and might be even worse if they didn't have that person. I think that is intentional by the author, saying even low-life types can love and be loved.

message 18: by Penny (new) - added it

Penny | 680 comments Mod
Well Jayme you did better than me - I ploughed on for around a 100 pages and then I just didn't want to read any more. And as I am so behind in reading this year I gave up - and I waited so long for it too!! I think the 'black humour' was lost on me a bit. I find that type of satire or wry comments difficult sometimes to 'get' and I read it as straight. I even read Agatha Raisin as serious and thought 'what a load of waffle' and then heard it dramatised and really enjoyed it and found it funny. Maybe I would be better with this in a different format.
Still I tried!

message 19: by Val (new) - rated it 4 stars

Val You gave the book a fair chance Penny.