Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > All Air Teams Chatter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 176 (176 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30807 comments Mod
Harpy Eagles Flying Squirrels
Draco Lizard Brahminy Kites

Chat with your fellow Air Teams here!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30807 comments Mod

message 3: by Amanda (last edited Jun 10, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments

Air Teams Pre-Wobble Challenge

Note: This is an optional challenge and not for Wobble points. Any books read for this mini-challenge will not count toward Wobble. Any books started now and not finished before the 17th will not count toward Wobble.

Choose any task, or read them all!

Task 1: Read a book with an air animal on the cover
Task 2: List 5 of your favorite books. Now read a book from any other member's list of favorites
Task 3: Read a book from your favorite genre
Task 4: Read a book with your favorite color on the cover
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not in the mood to start a book yet? Help us get to know you in this fun game! Answer this question "What is your favorite book of 2016 so far?" and then ask a question of your own. The next person answers both questions and adds one of their own questions to the list, and so on.

message 4: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments .

message 5: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments .

message 6: by Minx (last edited Jun 08, 2016 02:42PM) (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments ha ha, I love the pics! Minx here stopping by to say hello to any other of my All Air Team Members that may check in.

message 7: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1854 comments hi guys I made team Harpy. We have some cool characters here.

message 8: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments oooh team Harpy, so cool. When I hear harpy my first thought is a movie from my childhood, The Last Unicorn, that has a harpy, lol. Soooo old.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Definitely old, but a great movie. I'm team Flying Squirrel.

Cute little things.

message 10: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Oh heck yeah they are! Super cute!!

message 11: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

what team are you on Minx?

message 12: by Kerri (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:01PM) (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments Aww, look at the cuties! Team Draco lizard here :)

description

message 13: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments I am on Brahming Kites! Heck Yeah!! Guess I should have started out with that, ha ha ha.

message 14: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 696 comments Another from team Draco Lizard!!!!

message 15: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Hello Team Draco! Nice to have you here! All air teams have had a representative, nice!

message 16: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Nothing to SEA here....

message 17: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Kirsten wrote: "Nothing to SEA here...."

ha ha ha, sea, funny.

message 18: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Kirsten wrote: "Nothing to SEA here...."

Which team are you on? :)

message 19: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Kirsten wrote: "Nothing to SEA here...."

SPY!!

message 20: by Vicky (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:26PM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Hello fellow air critters! I'm the captain of the Brahminy Kites (hopefully I will be able to spell that without sounding it out in my head every time by the end of this challenge! lol). Looking forward to chatting with you all during this challenge, even as a 5 challenge veteran, there are mostly new faces among the skies here!

All of the air team captains are working on a little pre-WOBBLE getting to know you fun, so look out for that soon!

In the mean time, let us know what you're currently reading, just finished or getting ready to read!

I'm working through Tower Lord and my third read through of Outlander. My only 5 star read this year has been The Duchess War by Courtney Milan - if you like historical romance but hate a lot of the tropes of the genre, you should definitely check her out!

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm currently reading Blood Ninja by Nick Lake, and it has been great so far. I'm also just about to start reading Bed of Roses by Nora Roberts. I just finished the first in the series, Vision in White, today and it was a 5 star book. so if you like romance then this series is a good read.

message 22: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's really entertaining to read the first Superman comics because he's completely different from the Superman we know today. I was reading an issue yesterday where Superman was doing a bunch of property damage to cars, scaring the wits out of people, and running from the police in order to have people drive safer! It was awesome :) Anyway, I'm also reading The Name of the Wind which I am COMPLETELY in love with right now and House of Leaves which I'm having a difficult time reading at night already because it freaks me out. I'm hoping to pump out Name of the Wind by Friday and House of Leaves by the time Wobble comes around.

message 23: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's really entertaining to read ..."

AHHH The Name of the Wind! I <3 Patrick Rothfuss. Now if only that third book would appear. ;)

message 24: by Lauri (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:25PM) (new)

Lauri Saplad (otwlauri) | 1207 comments Aloha, everyone! I'm Lauri from Hawaii and I'm on Team Harpy Eagles, too. My current reads are: Midnight Bayou, Living Reed: A Novel of Korea, The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree, Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead, Blood Rights and Killer in High Heels.

Midnight Bayou by Nora Roberts Living Reed A Novel of Korea by Pearl S. Buck The Darling Dahlias and the Cucumber Tree (The Darling Dahlias #1) by Susan Wittig Albert Mrs. Jeffries Forges Ahead by Emily Brightwell Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1) by Kristen Painter Killer in High Heels (High Heels, #2) by Gemma Halliday

message 25: by June (new)

June | 385 comments Another Team Draco here.
Just finished The Murder at the Vicarage and it was good. Agatha of course messed with my mind and threw me off at the beginning. I was expecting more Miss Marple but think I like her more than Hercule. He is too much at times. My little grey cells are no match.

Now reading The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian.

Next up - The Postman or Chains

Read and loved the Name of the Wind but for some reason can't keep focus with The Wiseman's Fear. But I will fool myself that I'm slowing down until the next book is out.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's really entertaining to read ..."

I've been meaning to read The Name of the Wind forever, I hear it's really good.

message 27: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (daughterofoak) | 3473 comments Vicky wrote: "AHHH The Name of the Wind! I <3 Patrick Rothfuss. Now if only that third book would appear. ;)..."

From your lips to Mr. Rothfuss' ears! ;)
Have you seen his review of book #3? Hilarious.

message 28: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's really ente..."

Really good is putting it lightly. The summary the book gives you seems simple - Kvothe talking about his life, but it is SO much more. If you're into fantasy, it's a MUST. I can't believe I didn't hear of this series until recently. You truly should check it out.

message 29: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Lauri wrote: "Aloha, everyone! I'm Lauri from Hawaii and I'm on Team Harpy Eagles, too. My current reads are: Midnight Bayou, Living Reed: A Novel of Korea, [book:The Darling Dahlias ..."

Hi Lauri!! That's a lotta books chica :) Living Reed: A Novel of Korea sounds like a good one! (I'm half-Korean so I love books like this) Can't wait to hear what you think!!

message 30: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's really ente..."

I've been meaning to read that one forever too! Can never seem to fit it in. Maybe we can push each other to read it during this challenge!

message 31: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Hi everyone from Team Flying Squirrels! I'm currently reading

Marcus (Hell Squad, #1) by Anna Hackett (need for my NRPG) and
Midnight Secrets (Wildefire, #1) by Ella Grace (select audio from Scribd)

Just trying to finish a lot of the smaller ones I have before the start of this game!

message 32: by [deleted user] (new)

Cathy M. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's..."

that's an awesome idea, I own it, just haven't gotten around to reading it yet. I was saving it for one of my NRPG challenges since it's so long. Maybe there will be a time in this challenge when we need a group buddy read, and we can all read it together.

message 33: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Amy wrote: "Cathy M. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for ..."

That sounds like a plan :D

message 34: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Amy wrote: "Samantha wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm definitely up for some pre-Wobble fun :) I'm currently reading Superman: The Golden Age Omnibus Vol. 1 that I got for my birthday. It's..."

If we're talking about Name of the Wind, I'm already 3/4ths of the way through, so I probably won't join ya, but I'm finding that I'm reading in about 80-page chunks because I'm so captivated. What's nice is that every once in a while, there's an interlude which can also help you find natural breaks in the story :)

message 35: by Cathy M. (new)

Cathy M. (mccathy77) | 5663 comments Yep we are. That's good to know, thanks Samantha!

message 36: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Cathy M. wrote: "Yep we are. That's good to know, thanks Samantha!"

No problem! Happy reading :)

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments The Genre Minx wrote: "Kirsten wrote: "Nothing to SEA here...."

Which team are you on? :)"

whaha Leafy Seadragon! Sea you all later! ;)

message 38: by Shan ~A~ (new)

Shan ~A~ (thebookglutton) | 696 comments With everything that's going on this week, I have been trying to get through Two for the Dough (Stephanie Plum, #2) by Janet Evanovich . It is unusual for me not to have more than one book going at a time, but I have barely had time for this one. Once we are on the road back home, I will be able to get to it. We have been up every morning by 5:30 - 6:00am and back to the room late in the evening just to get ready to start all over again.

That being said, I am enjoying my son (who I haven't seen since March and will not see again till August/September) too much to complain.

message 39: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Well I finished the book I was reading, Stifled (Summoned, #2) by Rainy Kaye , and now I have 3 more that I am committed to reading:
Flight from Mayhem (Fly by Night, #2) by Yasmine Galenorn
Cat With a Clue (A Bookmobile Cat Mystery, #5) by Laurie Cass
Gone Too Deep (Search and Rescue, #3) by Katie Ruggle

Go Team Brahming Kites!

message 40: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

Currently, I'm doing the Outlander BOM and finishing up A Gathering of Shadows. I should have been done with that one forever ago, but I'm in the process of preparing my family for a move across country and finding the time to read has been a bear! Luckily, everything is pretty much in place, now, so I have more reading time.

message 41: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

Currently, I'm doing the Outlander BOM and finishing up [book:A..."

I am intersted to know if you liked A Gathering of Shadows after reading A Darker Shade of Magic? I loved the world construction but I was a bit bored with the first book. Thanks!

message 42: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments The Genre Minx wrote: "Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

Currently, I'm doing the Outlander BOM and finish..."

I'm enjoying the book, so far, but it's really taking it's time to get exciting, in my opinion. I'm almost done with the book and the main event mentioned in the blurb is just now about to start. I think you get a lot more from the characters in this book, though, because the threat is not as urgent. You get to learn more about their motivations. And there are some interesting tensions going on! If you were bored with the first one, I'm not sure the action will hold your interest in this one, but it is still an enjoyable book.

message 43: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3206 comments Popping in from team Brahminy Kites.

Just have to thrown my 2 cents in there and say I also loved The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss . I don't read a lot of fantasy but this is a must-read. After I finished it, I went out the next day because I HAD to buy book #2 (although I haven't read it yet)

message 44: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3206 comments I'm thinking of starting Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes next. Its a looong book and I've been putting it off for almost a year but the time feels right now and it has amazing reviews. Has anyone here read it?

message 45: by SandyL (new)

SandyL | 4374 comments Hi Fellow Air Teams - from Draco Lizards! I don't read much fantasy, but talk by my fellow teammates has convinced me I need to try the Game of Thrones books!

message 46: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 09, 2016 10:24AM) (new)

Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

Currently, I'm doing the Outlander BOM and finishing up [book:A..."

I really wanted to do the Outlander BOM, but the book was already out at the library. I've go it on hold so I may join in for the last couple chapters. Are you enjoying it so far?

message 47: by Kerri (new)

Kerri (kerrimcbooknerd) | 965 comments Amy wrote: "Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

I am enjoying it! There is one part, so far, that kind of threw me off. If you look at the reviews for it on Goodreads, you'll probably be able to figure out what I'm talking about. I am enjoying it for what it is, though... a historical fiction with a heavy dose of romance.

message 48: by [deleted user] (new)

Kerri wrote: "Amy wrote: "Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

Currently, I'm doing the Outlander BO..."

I love Historical Romance, no matter how unreal or cheesy they get. Now I really can't wait until I can get my hands on this book, Glad you are liking it!

message 49: by Samantha (new)

Samantha Harvey (missymaysreadingnook) | 795 comments Amy wrote: "Kerri wrote: "I'm totally in for a Name of the Wind buddy read if we decide to do it! I've been wanting to read that book for awhile.

I read Outlander a few months ago and enjoyed it. Definitely on the romance side :) Some people don't necessarily like the relationship between the two of them, but as long as you approach it with the mindset that the relationship doesn't go along with today's culture, I think you'll enjoy it :)

message 50: by Judith, Yeah Boi! (new)

Judith (brownie72011) | 4727 comments Mod
Hello Everyone!!

I'm swooping in from Flying Squirrels and the team's captain. As Vicki mentioned, we should have a mini challenge starting soon which should be a lot of fun. And a nice warm up for Wobble :)

I fully support the reading of Name of the Wind, it's a great book. I have the next one on my bookshelf waiting for me to read it. But due to other reading challenges, I've been reading shorter books instead. Maybe it'll work well with Wobble depending on the game.

« previous 1 3 4