Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > All Land Teams Chatter

Comments Showing 1-50 of 102 (102 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 08, 2016 12:47PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod
Slender Loris Tapir
Plumed Basilisk Red Panda

Chat with your fellow Land Teams here!

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30933 comments Mod

message 3: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:30PM) (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14336 comments Mod
Slender LorisTapirRed PandaPlumed Basilisk

Land teams mini challenge

Just for Fun! While waiting for wobble to start

Books with a READ date of June 8-16 and 100 pages or more count.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To Play:

Read books with:
- Land animals in the title (max. 2 per book) for 20 points each
- Land animals in the book as characters (max. 5 per book) for 10 points each
- Land animals mentioned in the book (max. 5 per book) for 5 points each
- Land animals on the cover for 10 points (max. 5 per book)

BONUS: Read a book that someone on a different land team has read for 20 points! (You can include your mod mentor Karen here too)

Notes:
*Shapeshifters DO count.
*If a land animal is being claimed as a character, it can not also be counted as a "mention".
*When reading a book a team member from another land team has read, it may have a read date before or during this mini challenge

You CAN mix and match for lots of points.

For example:

Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews

Land animals in the book as characters (Derek-wolf, Curran-lion, Jim - Jaguar, Andrea - Hyena, Barabas - Mongoose): 50 points
Land animal (lion) on the book: 10 points
Bonus: Someone {name} on Land team {name} has read for 20 points
So my book is worth 80 points! (50+10+20)

Remember: This is NOT for Wobble points, it is just for fun and to get to know your fellow Land team players.

Land teams are:
Slender Loris
Tapir
Red Panda
Plumed Basilisk

message 4: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

reserved

message 5: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

reserved

message 6: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:30PM) (new)

reserved

message 7: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments Hey guys! Maddie from Slender Loris here!

message 8: by Miranda (new)

Miranda (miranda82) | 351 comments hey... im team Tapirs...

message 9: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments Hey!

message 10: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:39PM) (new)

Hello Hello

Sorry, still working out all the threads here :)

Ok, I have posted our Pre-Wobble mini challenge above for easy access.
For the BONUS points of reading a book another team member on a different land team has read, you can also include my books seeing that I am your Mod for this challenge and I am not in a team :)

A bit about me...
I am *cough*40*cough* (can't beleive it, already!) and I live in Sydney, Australia. I have 2 kids under 4 and I'm currently on maternity leave with the youngest.
In 2012 I joined Goodreads, but I didn't really use it much until 2013 when I stumbled on this group for Tower Teams II and..well.. I guess the rest is history. I soon became a moderator here and I read most of the BOMs and run some team challenges. For WOBBLE I'm glad to step back a bit because I'm feeling a bit fatigued after a few reading challenges in a row. So I'm looking forward to just being a helper to you all and not being a player.

I read about 180-ish books a year ; about half on audio. I get 99% of my books for free, mostly from the libraries around me (and then a few sites like librivox and audiobooksync, and NetGalley books) . I also do mosaics, although I have a wrist injury which has stopped me from doing anything for the last few months, but if you are interested I keep pictures of what I do here: http://tawnyhill.weebly.com.

Questions for all of you:

What is your favourite land animal and why?
Any part of WOBBLE you are most looking forward to?
Any hobbies other than reading?

message 11: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Hey everyone! Drishti from Slender Loris here!

Actually, I don't like land animals at all. (Please don't kill me!) As a toddler, I had a really bad experience with an animal which I never want to think about again. So yeah, I've my reasons. :3

Any part of WOBBLE you are most l ooking forward to?
Olympics, Battleship and Labor of Bookules! Especially Labor of Bookules because anything with Greek mythology is interesting! And I'm also looking forward to some fun interactions with all you awesome peeps here!

I like playing chess. (No, wait, that's an understatement!) I've been playing chess since I was in kindergarten. :p But sadly, no one I know shares this interest.
I also watch a lot of tv shows and movies. (Wait, do we call that a hobby?) So when I'm not reading or playing chess, I'm sitting in front of my tv while munching on some snacks.

message 12: by just kat (new)

just kat (clutteredbooks) | 2193 comments Karen, where do we make our completion posts? Here in the general thread or specific team threads?

message 13: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Hello Land Teams!
I'm Elise, 31, from Sydney, and I'm captaining Team Slender Loris.

If we're going to be specific, it would be my two terrors of dogs - Charlie Brown (a very naughty toy poodle) and Billy Bob (an almost as naughty moodle)...but in general, I'm a fan of the meerkat

It's a bit cheeky to say winning... :)
I'm most looking forward to the Olympics part of the challenge.

Other than trying to control the above-mentioned dogs, I love baking, arts and crafts, and expanding my wine collection.

message 14: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Probably in your own team threads Kathleen seeing that the captains need the info to update the spreadsheet. May get lost in here :)

message 15: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments *whispers*I'm with you about that cheeky bit about your favourite part of the challenge, Elise :p*whispers*

message 16: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Maddison wrote: "*whispers*I'm with you about that cheeky bit about your favourite part of the challenge, Elise :p*whispers*"

Ha Ha...sshhhhh...don't stir up the other animals ;)

message 17: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments Alright we'll keep it on the dl :p

message 18: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Hello Everyone,

I'm Mandiann, 30, from Canada, paart of team Slender Loris.

Probably a dog. I just love how loyal and friendly they can be. I would be lost without my dog, Gus. If you are looking for something more exotic, probably Moose because they taste so yummy.

Getting to know more GR members.

I enjoy playing video games (Don't Starve is my favourite at the moment), keeping aquariums, sewing, gardening and slowly working on home improvements. I just finished planting my vegetable garden this morning and hope to reseal my concrete driveway this weekend (while listening to audiobooks).

message 19: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Hello everyone! I'm from Team Tapir.

I love animals in general and my 20 year old daughter is a huge animal lover, so I've had many varieties of pets throughout her growing up years. I love horses, so they are up there in the favorites department, but my golden retriever, Jack, is my favorite animal because he is wonderfully loyal and friendly and lovable.

I'm new to this group and have never done one of their challenges. I'm looking forward to the experience in general!

I enjoy fabric arts - embroidery, cross-stitch and quilting. I'm usually listening to an audiobook while I do handwork or machine sewing! I also like binge-watching BBC series on Netflix and my husband and I are beer aficionados, so we enjoy going to breweries and tap rooms and experiencing local craft beer (I'm from Oregon, which is also known as beer-vana!).

message 20: by BarbaraAnn (new)

BarbaraAnn Hi Everyone, I'm BarbaraAnn from Slender Loris

I like most animals. Probably dogs are my favorite.

all of it

I like to knit, although I'm a beginner. I also like to explore - due to my job, that mostly means local items like the zoo, museums, etc.

message 21: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Drishti wrote: "Hey everyone! Drishti from Slender Loris here!

Actually, I don't like land animals at all. (Please don't kill me!) As a toddler, I had a really bad expe..."

Hopefully you'll learn to love the Slender Loris by the end of the challenge and that can be yuour favourite land animal :)
Chess is a great hobby. I've always been too impatient, but I admire people that can play well. Ditto for Mah Jong players

message 22: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Mandiann wrote: "Hello Everyone,

Probably a dog. I just love how loyal and friendly they can be. I would be ..."

Welcome Madiann! I was not expecting that about Moose! haha. I don't think I've ever had the opportunity to try it. Even when I lived in Canada (only for a short time about 15 years ago)

message 23: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Moonlight Reader wrote: "Hello everyone! I'm from Team Tapir.

I love animals in general and my 20 year old daughter is a huge animal lover, so I've had many varieties of pets t..."

Oh welcome to the group! I hope you enjoy the challenge. It can get crazy, but it is such a fun way to get to know other GR users and learn about lots of books.
I used to do lots of cross stitch, and I have loads of unfinished projects. I think when I started mosaics I got a finished product much sooner and I like the gratification of seeing something finished :o

message 24: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

BarbaraAnn wrote: "Hi Everyone, I'm BarbaraAnn from Slender Loris

..."

Oh I think I like the sound of your job if you get to explore places like that! :D

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Hi everyone. Carmen from Team Tapirs. I haven't had any luck with the book I finished so I'm hoping the next one will have some animals in it. If not I'll keep trying

message 26: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 577 comments What is your favourite land animal and why?

I love chimpanzees, monkeys, gorillas, etc. I find their intelligence (and cuteness) so fascinating. I do have two pet cats that I love though.

The whole thing. I haven't participated in a NBRC challenge in so long. It will also help in getting me to read more!

Blogging, watching Netflix, scrapbooking and playing tennis.

message 27: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Mandiann wrote: "Hello Everyone,

Probably a dog. I just love how loyal and friendly they ca..."

Yeah it is something that isn't available easily as it is not allowed to be sold. You need to hunt (or know someone who hunts).

message 28: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Drishti wrote: "Hey everyone! Drishti from Slender Loris here!

Actually, I don't like land animals at all. (Please don't kill me!) As a toddler, I had a..."

Perhaps I will learn to love the Slender Loris by the end of this challenge. We have got a great team!

I'm usually very impatient! But when it comes to chess, something just speaks to me. Perhaps that's where I get the patience from.

message 29: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments BarbaraAnn wrote: "Hi Everyone, I'm BarbaraAnn from Slender Loris

..."

I love to explore museums! We don't have any local museums where we live. But whenever we go on a vacation and there's a museum anywhere nearby, there's no stopping me! Lol. My family is sick of this! :p

message 30: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments Yeah I like chess too, and for once I'm not the worst at it :p I like the way there's multiple things you can do each turn, multiple possibilities, and once you know the game it's incredible to know how this piece moves here and can get this piece, but then they can get me with that, but then if I sacrifice and take it then I can also get that if they don't know :p I tend to play with my hand too, so when I'm thinking my hands doing all the moving as if it's moving the pieces :p Does that even make any sense?

message 31: by Plethora (new)

Plethora (bookworm_r) | 2239 comments I'm Plethora/Bookworm/BR depending on what you'd like to call me. I'm one of the co-captains for Team Tapir. I live in the Pacific Northwest auth husband and my not so young anymore daughter (she recently became an adult).

My reading plans always exceed the time I end up with each month. I really enjoy non-fiction history.

Questions for all of you:

I really love big dogs, we had Malamutes and they thought they were tiny, not the massive dog that they were. They didn't make unnecessary noise and loved you unconditionally.

There are so many magnificent animals that I'm not sure what else I'd pick.

Finding books to fit tasks that hopefully will make some small dent in my own TBR pile and not just library books.

I used to scrapbook a bunch, but haven't in ages. I do some sewing or other type of crafts.

message 32: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Maddison wrote: "Yeah I like chess too, and for once I'm not the worst at it :p I like the way there's multiple things you can do each turn, multiple possibilities, and once you know the game it's incredible to kno..."

Actually, it makes perfect sense. That's the best thing about chess. There are multiple possibilities each turn. Many times, my opponents didn't get to know what hit them when I made the final move. And the worst thing is that you can be caught off guard too!

Unlike you, I tend to play with my brain. I actually visualize the chess pieces in my brain and plan my next moves. (Wait, this is making sense, right?)

message 33: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments Hi Landies! Has anyone read Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins or Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty??

Thought it would be easier to ask rather than stalk you all :D

message 34: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments i have read Miss Mayhem.

message 35: by ☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ (last edited Jun 10, 2016 05:54PM) (new)

☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎ | 7187 comments Ashley wrote: "Hi Landies! Has anyone read Miss Mayhem by Rachel Hawkins or Three Wishes by Liane Moriarty??

Thought it would be easier to ask rath..."

I saw Kimberly for Team Plumed Basilisk and I am currently 1/3 into the book Three Wishes. I hope that helps

message 36: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 1439 comments Thanks :)

message 37: by Christine PNW (last edited Jun 10, 2016 06:29PM) (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) I am finishing a reread of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Someone has to have read that on one of the other teams - anyone? I'm assuming that rereads are acceptable.

message 38: by Nancy (new)

Nancy | 577 comments Is there any easy way to see what books members of the other land teams have read or just ask in this thread?!!

I just finished The Lilac Girls.....has anyone besides those on my team (The Tapirs) read it?!

message 39: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Moonlight Reader wrote: "I am finishing a reread of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Someone has to have read that on one of the other teams - anyone? I'm assuming that rereads are acceptable."

I have read that one.

message 41: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Ashley wrote: "Thanks :)"

NP.

message 42: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) Mandiann wrote: "Moonlight Reader wrote: "I am finishing a reread of The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Someone has to have read that on one of the other teams - anyone? I'm assuming that rereads are acceptable...."

Thanks for letting me know!

message 43: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1198 comments For the 'book has been read by another land team member', does that mean it has to be read by a member of another team, not your team? And when it says 'read', does it mean another member is currently reading it, or has read it in the past (because that would be so much easier)? Also, can you get more than 20 points, if let's say, two people have read your book?

message 44: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Yes it can only be a member of a team outside your own (or Karen).
I think it has to have a read date...I would assume you can't claim points for it being read by another player if they haven't actually finished it yet...but I'm sure the points could be added in if the other team player ended it before the end of this mini-challenge.

message 45: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) And you can only claim the bonus points for another team member reading it once :)

message 46: by Kat (new)

Kat | 1198 comments Thanks (again) for answering Elise. :)

message 47: by Christine PNW (new)

Christine PNW (moonlight_reader) I'm currently reading Blackout by Connie Willis. Any non-Tapir team members who've previously read it?

Mandiann, I've read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater.

message 48: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Moonlight Reader wrote: "I'm currently reading Blackout by Connie Willis. Any non-Tapir team members who've previously read it?

Mandiann, I've read Shiver by Maggie Stiefvater."

Thanks!

message 49: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Mandiann wrote: "Has Anyone read:

Shiver
Stranger and Stranger
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making"

I've read The Girl Who circumnavigated.... etc.
;)

message 50: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Karen ⊰✿ wrote: "Mandiann wrote: "Has Anyone read:

Shiver
Stranger and Stranger
The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making"

I've read The Girl ..."

Thanks!

« previous 1 3