Books on the Nightstand discussion

Podcast Episode Discussions > Sweepstakes question

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (new)

Daniel | 9 comments I'm excited to hear about the sweepstakes on today's episode. I didn't hear it specified, will the list be published somewhere so that we can all enjoy the books if we buy them ourselves?

The other thing I wanted to mention was about the listeners question about Apple possibly discontinuing podcasts. Did they hear podcasts specifically? I had read the news story about Apple possibly discontinuing iTunes downloads (music) to force more of us onto their music streaming service. But I thought that was just music, though I could be wrong. Also does anyone know, do we even need Apple for podcasts? I thought podcasts were just RSS feeds and since there are non Apple podcast apps I would think and hope that podcasts could continue. Again I don't know enough about this so I could be wrong.

message 2: by Lori (new)

Lori | 5 comments You don't need Apple for podcasts. There are several other apps. I like PocketCasts.

I'm looking for the list, too. I assume the winners were announced - somewhere? Not sure how I missed that but I guess I can unsubscribe from Penguin's emails now - right? :-)

message 3: by Variablestar (new)

Variablestar I was also wondering about the winners. I was also hoping that there would be a list of the books they won. I thought there was supposed to be an email, but I haven't seen it. Anyone know? Thanks

message 4: by Linda (new)

Linda | 2805 comments Mod
The first e-mail went out on October 2. Ann picked The Nix and Hero of the Empire: The Boer War, a Daring Escape, and the Making of Winston Churchill and Michael picked A Truck Full of Money.

The second e-mail went out on October 31. Ann picked The Trespasser and Michael picked Hag-Seed

message 5: by Variablestar (new)

Variablestar Thank you so much!

message 6: by Lori (new)

Lori | 5 comments OK, now I gotta find out what happened to those emails! Thanks. I can probably figure it out from the dates but - who was the sender?

message 7: by Linda (new)

Lori wrote: "OK, now I gotta find out what happened to those emails! Thanks. I can probably figure it out from the dates but - who was the sender?"

The first was sent by Ann and Michael and the second was sent by Books on the Nightstand.

message 8: by Linda (new)

The newest e-mail arrived today. Ann picked Swing Time by Zadie Smith Swing Time and Michael picked Born a Crime by Trevor Noah Born a Crime

message 9: by Lori (new)

Lori | 5 comments Thanks. I think I have my email filters fixed so I'll see these better now!

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 200 comments I thought it was interesting that Ann picked a book that she hadn't read. I'm reading Swing Time right now and am not overly thrilled by it, but will probably finish it.

message 11: by Ann (new)

Ann (akingman) | 2097 comments Mod
Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "I thought it was interesting that Ann picked a book that she hadn't read. I'm reading Swing Time right now and am not overly thrilled by it, but will probably finish it."

I had to order the books a few months ahead of time, so I had every intention of reading it, but never got to it, so decided to save it for my vacation.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 90 comments I really appreciate finding out the recommendations -- thanks so much. I was convinced I'd be one of the winners (I was not -- how did that happen? -- ha, ha), but it's fun to read about the book choices each month. I got very, very spoiled having a go-to source for recommendations and definitely miss BOTNS. There are eight million blogs, podcasts, book reviews (NYT, etc.), but it's time-consuming to decide who to trust. #firstworldproblem

message 13: by Anna (new)

Anna Lovisa | 8 comments Anyone who wants to update me on the books picked after November?

message 15: by Anna (new)

Anna Lovisa | 8 comments Thank you, Linda.

message 16: by Linda (new)

Anna wrote: "Thank you, Linda."

: > )