A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - Chat/Banter/Review Your July Read

Comments Showing 1-50 of 179 (179 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5751 comments Mod
This thread is where you can chat about all things PIFM, ask questions and once books have been read, review your selected reads. A complete free for all.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Thanks.

message 2: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Wow Dana;;;
What an awesome list of choices for this month! No matter which book is chosen you will enjoy a great July read. I love The Surgeon so that helped with my choice, but I love many of the books on your list.

message 3: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 583 comments Thanks! I was thinking about starting a new series... haven't read a good one in a while

message 4: by Dana (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 583 comments Also, my favorite thing to do in the summer is read by the pool, so hopefully I will get to read more than one on my list!

message 5: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8102 comments Melanie has a great list! So many of those books are already in my TBR list, but I'm hoping she'll be the next In Death convert!

message 6: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Kirsten & Melanie, I had really hard time to decide for a book - great lists!

message 7: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Agnieszka, I enjoy thrillers and found your list hard to pick just one.

message 8: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale My list is up. #9 is a tribute to Kerry, a member of the GR group A GOOD THRILLER. She died earlier this year at age 20 from complications of diabetes. I put it on my TBR after reading HER TBR.

message 9: by Perri (new)

Perri Vicki, I thought it was funny your list starting out Good Father then Mother. YOu could have added Good Son, Good Dog... :)

message 10: by Perri (new)

Perri Stephanie-welcome to the friendliest group on GR. I laughed at your rule worry-we're so laid back! I have both of your selections on my TBR list-tough choice!

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8102 comments I second what Perri has said. This is the friendliest group I've ever been in. No worries here (except when we worry about each other).

message 12: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Stephanie - I picked The Girl In The Ice only because two people I generally agree with gave it rave reviews. However, both sound great. I will add them to my tbr list.

message 13: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8102 comments Melanie - don't forget to vote for me!

Some seriously hard choices in this month's lists!

message 14: by Perri (new)

Perri Daisy, I loved The Dovekeepers and The Museum of Extraordinary Things and just started The Marriage of Opposites. I just added Faithful to my TBR list

message 15: by Daisy (last edited Jun 09, 2016 08:20PM) (new)

Daisy | 328 comments Perri wrote: "Daisy, I loved The Dovekeepers and The Museum of Extraordinary Things and just started The Marriage of Opposites. I just added Faithful to my TBR list"

Perri, I haven't read any of those yet. I read one of hers years ago, the name just flew away as I typed this. I really enjoyed it, though. I'm looking forward to reading all her books.

I had to look it up because it was driving me crazy. The book was Seventh Heaven.

message 16: by Vicki Willis (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments Perri wrote: "Vicki, I thought it was funny your list starting out Good Father then Mother. YOu could have added Good Son, Good Dog... :)"
LOL So true! Had I seen those titles I would have added them!

message 17: by Agnieszka (last edited Jun 10, 2016 03:12AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Stephanie,
I loved My Sister's Grave very, very much. It made it into my top five last year :-) And I only read it because of Christine's great review of the first short prequel The Academy: A Short Story and I really recommend to start with this one. The prequel is not really suspensful (more fun and dramatic) but great to get a feeling for Dugoni's style and what to expect of Tracy (and I love her character very much - especially the character development within My Sister's Grave). Until a few minutes ago I wasn't aware there is another prequel - have to grab it before I read the second book in October :-)

Daisy,
I added a cover for Murder, Inc... in the GR library. If you have any other (Netgalley) books with missing covers I'll fix it if you let me know just PM me.
I never heard of the Secrets of the South Mysteries and the series sounds so great I set all three books on my TBR :-)

Vicki & Amber,
I had a hard time to decide between two of your books In case you have a tie feel free to change my vote :-) (Amber: J.R.R. Tolkien & Pop Sonnets / Vicki: Before I Go to Sleep & Good Father)

message 18: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Sophie,
I had a hard time to decide between Toward the Sound of Chaos & Room. In case you have a tie feel free to change my vote :-)

message 19: by Sophie (last edited Jun 10, 2016 09:03AM) (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments My list/vote is up, can't believe we're into July already!

Thanks Agnieszka, I will bear that in mind :)

Welcome to PIFM Stephanie, I have no doubt you'll fit in fine and have lots of fun.

There were a couple of lists that I really struggled with this month but Perri yours had to be the hardest! I love, love, love The Name of the Wind and have The Last Unicorn and The Spook's Apprentice on my TBR list (in fact I remember you commenting on it when I listed it as one of my PIFM books months ago - still haven't got round to it!) and have heard great things about Ready Player One and We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves so I really had to think about my choice haha

message 20: by Perri (new)

Perri Sophie, we have Kerry Hunter to thank for that list. She really had eclectic reading tastes, and I could have doubled that list of books I want to read. I hope we pick a good one that she would have loved

message 21: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments I read Amber's post about Kerry. I didn't know her but if that's her TBR list then she sounds like she must have had quite similar tastes to me! It makes me sad to hear of people taken so early, hopefully you can do her TBR list justice :)

message 22: by Patricia (last edited Jun 10, 2016 10:21AM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments Sophie, I have had a signed copy of The Last Unicorn on my shelves since 1975. I met Peter Beagle at a conference for Teachers of English in San Diego. I am embarrassed to admit I haven't read it nor another book, A Fine and Private Place. I usually provided them to students to read and somehow didn't take the time to read them myself. Oh, what a shame!

Thanks for mentioning the book. It is now sitting next to me.

message 23: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 328 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Stephanie,
I loved My Sister's Grave very, very much. It made it into my top five last year :-) And I only read it because of Christine's great review of the first short prequel [book:The Academy:..."

Thanks, Agnieszka. I dont know how to fix the covers so I will let you know anytime I find one.

message 24: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments Hi Kirsten

I voted for The Girl Who Played with Fire. It is showing on my iPad but other things are not showing up. I don't know what the glitch is.
Please let me know if/when you see my vote and this message. I will tinker later on the computer in order to fix the problem.

message 25: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Agnieszka wrote: "Stephanie,
I loved My Sister's Grave very, very much. It made it into my top five last year :-) And I only read it because of Christine's great review of the first short prequel [book:The Academy:..."

No ties anymore at the moment.

message 26: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Sophie wrote: "I read Amber's post about Kerry. I didn't know her but if that's her TBR list then she sounds like she must have had quite similar tastes to me! It makes me sad to hear of people taken so early, ho..."

If you mean the list I posted for PIFM, all but the Pop Sopnets are from MY TBR list: https://www.goodreads.com/review/list... LOL. More than 80 pages worth of books I want to read.

message 27: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Daisy wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "Stephanie,
I loved My Sister's Grave very, very much. It made it into my top five last year :-) And I only read it because of Christine's great review of the first short prequel ..."

You have to be librarian to add covers after a book was once created.

message 28: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 328 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Daisy wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "Stephanie,
I loved My Sister's Grave very, very much. It made it into my top five last year :-) And I only read it because of Christine's great review of the first ..."

That makes sense. Thanks for the info!!

message 29: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 328 comments I need a little help. I accidentally added a book twice to my Goodreads reading challenge list and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know how to remove the double?

message 30: by Patricia (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments I did that once myself. If I remember correctly, I pulled one of them up and punched edit and hit delete. Try that and let me know if that worked.

message 31: by Agnieszka (last edited Jun 11, 2016 04:28AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Daisy wrote: "I need a little help. I accidentally added a book twice to my Goodreads reading challenge list and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know how to remove the double?"

Patricia wrote: "I did that once myself. If I remember correctly, I pulled one of them up and punched edit and hit delete. Try that and let me know if that worked."

Or you go over the 'find duplicates link' below your shelves and you'll get a list of all your duplicates.

And then go one title after another:
1. Klick 'view all my editions'
a) delete the duplicate
b) if you don't see immediately which is the edition you want to delete, just right-klick with the mouse on the title and select the option 'open in new tab/window' (depending what you prefer) on both titles and compare the entries. Delete the one you don't want to keep. If you get confused which one belonegs to which link - see which one you want to keep, close both tabs or windows and open only the first link and see if it's the one you want to delete. It it's the one - klick 'delete review' if not take the other link's 'delete review'
2. Klick on 'duplicates' and continue until you are finished - or finished for now ;-)

If you have several copies of one book e.g. paper and ebook or different languages they usually appear as duplicates so after some times of this nice 'play' you'll know you can skip those. In my case these are the Blue Castle or Pride and Prejudice entries :-)
I try to clean up each six month all the duplicates. It happens more often than you think :-)

message 32: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 328 comments Patricia wrote: "I did that once myself. If I remember correctly, I pulled one of them up and punched edit and hit delete. Try that and let me know if that worked."

Thank you, Patricia, it worked.

message 33: by Daisy (new)

Daisy | 328 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Daisy wrote: "I need a little help. I accidentally added a book twice to my Goodreads reading challenge list and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know how to remove the double?"

Thank you for the detailed instructions, Agnieszka. I wondered if there was a way to clean up my lists. I will be doing this today!

message 34: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments @Amber, I know the books were from your TBR list, I just meant I read your post about what happened to her

message 35: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Daisy wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "Daisy wrote: "I need a little help. I accidentally added a book twice to my Goodreads reading challenge list and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know how to remove the dou..."

Have fun ;-)

message 36: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Sophie wrote: "@Amber, I know the books were from your TBR list, I just meant I read your post about what happened to her"

Sorry, Sophie.

message 37: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) | 8102 comments Wend - don't forget to post your votes.

Melanie - your votes are there. It seems there's a second Melanie that only posted votes for two people.

message 38: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 178 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "Wend - don't forget to post your votes.

Melanie - your votes are there. It seems there's a second Melanie that only posted votes for two people."

All my votes are there now Kirsten. I didn't have time to finish the first time. (I am Melanie from the US and the other is Melanie from Canada)

message 39: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments @Kirsten and @Melanie USA

Glad it all got sorted. I will try to remember to tag my votes etc with a CAN in future to assist

Such sad news out of the US today Melanie. My daughter brought the news to my attention as i had not had TV on today. We were thinking of the victims and their families this evening. There aren't any "right" words.

message 40: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (meldoc) | 649 comments @Melanie USA: I can't post properly from the iPad...my vote for you will be "The Absent One" I really enjoy Adler-Olsen, however if my memory is correct that novel is definitely a bit dark...if you read it I will look forward to your review

message 41: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Stephanie wrote: "Agnieszka wrote: "Daisy wrote: "I need a little help. I accidentally added a book twice to my Goodreads reading challenge list and I don't know how to fix it. Does anyone know how to remove the dou..."

You welcome :-)

message 42: by Sophie (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments I've got a tie at the moment between Black-Eyed Susans and Room. Quite excited to read both to be honest so will be interested to see if either of them win or if my other favourite, Six of Crows will overtake them!

message 43: by Melanie (new)

Melanie | 178 comments Melanie wrote: "@Kirsten and @Melanie USA

Glad it all got sorted. I will try to remember to tag my votes etc with a CAN in future to assist

Such sad news out of the US today Melanie. My daughter brought the new..."

It is horrible. People just out having a good time (here, Paris, Boston). I'm not sure what the answer is but something needs to change.

message 44: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Perri: Still waiting for your vote.

message 45: by Perri (new)

Perri Amber wrote: "Perri: Still waiting for your vote."

Fixed now :)

message 46: by Amber (new)

Amber Martingale Thank you, Perri. Will check it and add it.

message 47: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments I'm late to the game this month. Sorry!!

My list is up now and I've posted my votes.

Lots of great lists this month and some pretty hard choices.

Stephanie, welcome to PIFM! I hope you have fun! I HAD to pick My Sister's Grave for you!

Is Wend really participating or did Wend not understand PIFM?

message 48: by Agnieszka (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments Brenda wrote: "I'm late to the game this month. Sorry!!

My list is up now and I've posted my votes.

Lots of great lists this month and some pretty hard choices.

Stephanie, welcome to PIFM! I hope you have fun!..."

No idea about Wend.

Looks like I'm not the only Tracy Crosswhite fan here :-)

Since I had really hard time to decide between the first two of your titles feel free to change in case you have a tie :-)

message 49: by Perri (new)

Perri I'm thinking perhaps Wend doesn't understands it, but I hope she joins us.

Sophie don't forget to count my vote for Room. I liked Black Eyed Susans too, but thought Room was unique

message 50: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Agnieszka wrote: "Looks like I'm not the only Tracy Crosswhite fan here :-)..."

That's right, Agnieszka! I recently read all the Tracy Crosswhite books and loved them. Did you know there's a fourth one coming? The Trapped Girl

I'm reading Dugoni's David Sloane series now. I'm on the third one. I think I like Tracy better, so far anyway.

« previous 1 3 4