A Good Thriller discussion

PIFM - Archive > PIFM - July 2016 Read

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Janet , Moderator (new)

Janet  | 5752 comments Mod
Hello all!

The time has come to choose your book selections for your July 2016 read in the PIFM challenge.

The rules are:-

* You can choose any number of books. A minimum of two and up to a maximum of 10.

* Please, only ONE MESSAGE per member. That means NO REPLYING or CHATTING in this thread.

* Once you have made your selections and posted, when your votes start to come in you can then add your votes cast by other members beneath your book titles ie. the following might be how my list would look:-

Little Black Lies - Sharon Bolton
x 1 - Christine

Pretty Girls - Karin Slaughter
x 1 - Brenda
x 1 - Perri

How you post is your choice, you can link, do pictures, the above is just an example. The key is that you stick with the one message and update it as the votes come in. Your list can be placed when the July threads go up.

PLEASE NOTE:

PIFM is meant to be FUN and not to be taken seriously. I would appreciate it if all participants just chilled and not get worked up about voting, who votes, who doesn't, etc. Please bear in mind that some will just want to vote, many don't come on everyday and most of us have time constraints. I just want a relaxed approach to it all and for you all to just enjoy the process! I'd really appreciate your courtesy in this matter. Thanks.

reply | edit | delete | flag *

message 2: by Dana (last edited Jun 21, 2016 07:32AM) (new)

Dana (dkmckelvey) | 584 comments July reads:
1) The Surgeon - Tess Gerritsen - Melanie, Patricia, Amber, Vicki, Sophie, Mandy - *6*
2) Déjà Dead - Kathy Reichs - Kirsten *1*
3) Don't You Cry - Mary Kubica
4) The Kind Worth Killing - Peter Swanson - Melanie, Perri, Stephanie, Brenda, Sean, Amy - *6*
5) Along Came a Spider - James Patterson - Agnieszka, Daisy - *2*

The Surgeon (Rizzoli & Isles, #1) by Tess Gerritsen Déjà Dead (Temperance Brennan, #1) by Kathy Reichs Don't You Cry by Mary Kubica The Kind Worth Killing by Peter Swanson Along Came a Spider (Alex Cross, #1) by James Patterson

Thanks!

message 3: by Patricia (last edited Jun 18, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Patricia Bergman (marshop) | 1120 comments July picks

The Mercy Rule (Dismas Hardy, #5) by John Lescroart The Mercy Rule by John Lescroart
Dana - Daisy - Stephanie - Sophie - Brenda - Sean

The Eighth Day by Thornton Wilder The Eighth Day by Thornton Wilder
Melanie

The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers
Agnieszka - Perri - Vicki

Inferno (Robert Langdon, #4) by Dan Brown Inferno by Dan Brown
Kirsten - Amber

I'm Traveling Alone (Holger Munch & Mia Kruger, #1) by Samuel Bjørk I'm Traveling Alone by Samuel Bjørk
Melanie - Mandy - Amy

message 4: by Melanie (last edited Jun 18, 2016 07:00PM) (new)

message 5: by Kirsten (last edited Jun 19, 2016 08:50AM) (new)

message 6: by Agnieszka (last edited Jun 18, 2016 10:49AM) (new)

Agnieszka (agnieszka7) | 1424 comments July theme: Dream Destination (everything international)

3 Die Touristin (Mission Munroe #1) by Taylor Stevens = The Informationist by Taylor Stevens (Cameroon, Equatorial Guinea, Germany, USA) - Kirsten, Melanie (USA), Sean
2 The Illegal Gardener (The Greek Village, #1) by Sara Alexi (Greece, USA) - Brenda, Mandy
0 The Gilboa Iris A Thrilling Suspense Novel by Zahava D. Englard (Israel, Germany, USA)
2 Defender (Intrepid #1) by Chris Allen (Africa, Australia, USA) - Perri, Amy
1 Deployed (Called to Serve, #1) by Mel Odom (Somalia, USA) - Daisy
0 One Night in Tehran (Titus Ray Thriller #1) by Luana Ehrlich (Iran, USA)
1 Covering Home by Heidi McCahan (Japan, USA) - Vicki
1 The Icarus Prediction by R.D. Gupta (India) - Patricia
4 Due North (Butterscotch Jones Mystery #1) by Melanie Jackson (Canada) - Melanie (Ca), Dana (Ca), Amber, Sophie
1 Mission Compromised A Novel by Oliver North (Middle East, USA) - Stephanie

message 7: by Vicki Willis (last edited Jun 18, 2016 02:54PM) (new)

Vicki Willis | 927 comments My July picks have been chosen from reading the GoodRead feed. I have added them to my list after reading someone's comments or review.

The Good Father

The Good Mother
Patricia, Sophie

Before I Go to Sleep
Dana, Perri, Kirsten, Agnieszka, Melanie, Brenda, Mandy, Sean

Anything for Her
Daisy, Stephanie, Amy

If I Was Your Girl
Amber, Melanie

The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain The Good Mother by Amy Bird Before I Go to Sleep by S.J. Watson Anything for Her by Jack Jordan If I Was Your Girl by Meredith Russo

message 8: by Perri (last edited Jun 17, 2016 03:09PM) (new)

Perri From Kerry Hunter's TBR shelf:

The Name of the Wind The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss Patricia, Amber, Sophie, Amy

Ready Player One Ready Player One by Ernest Cline Melanie, Dana, Kirsten, Vicki, Stephanie, Melanie, Sean
The Last Unicorn The Last Unicorn (The Last Unicorn, #1) by Peter S. Beagle Brenda
We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler Agnieszka
The Spook's Apprentice The Spook's Apprentice (The Last Apprentice / Wardstone Chronicles #1) by Joseph Delaney Daisy

message 9: by Amber (last edited Jun 18, 2016 07:37AM) (new)

Amber Martingale 1. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ( Catholicism and Fundamentalism
by Karl Keating)
2. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1... ( Æthelstan: The First King of England (The English Monarchs)
by Sarah Foot) +1
1st Melanie

3. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... ( Authentic Vietnamese Cooking: Food from a Family Table
by Corinne Trang (Goodreads Author) )
4. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5... ( 1066: The Hidden History in the Bayeux Tapestry
by Andrew Bridgeford) +2
Patricia
Dana

5. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... ( You Have It Made: Delicious, Healthy, Do-Ahead Meals
by Ellie Krieger) +1
Perri

6. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4... ( The Scalpel and the Silver Bear: The First Navajo Woman Surgeon Combines Western Medicine and Traditional Healing
by Lori Arviso Alvord, Elizabeth Cohen Van Pelt) +4
Daisy
Stephanie
Mandy
Sean

7. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3... ( Sword Fighting in the Star Wars Universe: Historical Origins, Style and Philosophy
by Nick Jamilla (Goodreads Author) )
8. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... ( J.R.R. Tolkien: Artist and Illustrator
by Wayne G. Hammond, Christina Scull, J.R.R. Tolkien (Illustrator) ) +2
Agnieszka
Sophie

9. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2... ( Pop Sonnets: Shakespearean Spins on Your Favorite Songs
by Erik Didriksen (Goodreads Author)) +6
Melanie
Kirsten
Vicki
Kirsten
Brenda
Amy

and 10. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6... ( Memories of a Cuban Kitchen
by Mary Urrutia Randelman, Joan Schwartz)

message 10: by Daisy (last edited Jun 14, 2016 08:49PM) (new)

Daisy | 328 comments July more Netgalley choices

1.Magnolia Moonlight Magnolia Moonlight (Secrets of the South Mysteries #3) by Mary Ellis Mary Ellis

Patricia, Kirsten, Agnieszka

2. Grilling the Subject Grilling the Subject (Cookbook Nook Mystery, #5) by Daryl Wood Gerber Daryl Wood Gerber

Amber

3. The Agony That Remains The Agony That Remains A Paranormal Investigation in America's Heartland by Brandon Callahan Brandon Callahan

Dana

4. Murder, Inc.,and the Moral Life Murder, Inc., and the Moral Life Gangsters and Gangbusters in La Guardia's New York by Robert Weldon Whalen Robert Weldon Whalen

5. Faithful Faithful by Alice Hoffman Alice Hoffman

Perri, Vicki, Stephanie, Melanie, Sophie, Melanie, Brenda, Mandy

message 11: by Sophie (last edited Jun 20, 2016 03:30AM) (new)

Sophie | 1067 comments My July list is books that have been sitting on my shelf or are to help towards reading challenges that I am currently involved in:

1. Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo Patricia, Amber, Amy (3)
2. Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin Vicki, Melanie, Stephanie, Brenda, Sean (5)
3. Toward the Sound of Chaos by Carmen Jenner Agnieszka (1)
4. Room by Emma Donoghue Dana, Melanie, Kirsten, Perri, Mandy (5)
5. Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson
6. The Work of Wolves by Kent Meyers
7. The Ice Child by Camilla Lackberg
8. The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle
9. Hear the Children Calling by Clare McNally Daisy (1)

Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1) by Leigh Bardugo Black-Eyed Susans by Julia Heaberlin Toward the Sound of Chaos by Carmen Jenner Room by Emma Donoghue Out Stealing Horses by Per Petterson The Work of Wolves by Kent Meyers The Ice Child (Patrik Hedström, #9) by Camilla Läckberg The Uninvited by Dorothy Macardle Hear the Children Calling by Clare McNally

message 12: by Wend (new)

Wend (wends) | 2 comments Hi, my reading list for July is:

Eeny Meeny by M. J. Arlidge

See How They Run by Tom Bale

Red Bones by Ann Cleeves

Then if I get through these quick enough on the sidelines are:

The Man In The Brown Suit by Agatha Christie (reading all her works in publication order - not very far through!)

Evil Games - Angela Marsons

Death Of The Dormouse - Reginald Hill

message 13: by Melanie (last edited Jun 18, 2016 06:31AM) (new)

Melanie | 178 comments My July list consists of 2nd books in different series I've started.

A Fatal Grace by Louise Penny - (4) Agnieszka, Stephanie, Patricia, Dana
The Treatmentby Mo Hayder - (4) Daisy, Mandy, Sean, Amy
Shut Your Eyes Tight by John Verdon (3) Perri, Brenda, Sophie
Scaredy Cat by Mark Billingham
The Absent One by Jussi Adler-Olsen (1) Melanie
The Secret Speech by Tom Rob Smith (2) Vicki, Kirsten
Box 21 by Anders Roslund & Borge Hellstrom (1) Amber

A Fatal Grace (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #2) by Louise Penny The Treatment (Jack Caffery, #2) by Mo Hayder Shut Your Eyes Tight (Dave Gurney, #2) by John Verdon Scaredy Cat (Tom Thorne, #2) by Mark Billingham The Absent One (Department Q, #2) by Jussi Adler-Olsen The Secret Speech (Leo Demidov, #2) by Tom Rob Smith Box 21 (Grens & Sundkvist #2) by Anders Roslund

Thanks everybody !

message 14: by Brenda (last edited Jun 16, 2016 10:39AM) (new)

Brenda | 3213 comments Time to Murder and Create

Cemetery Lake
*6* Agnieszka, Kirsten, Perri, Patricia, Dana, Stephanie

The Immortals
*2* Mandy, Vicki

Paint It Black
*2* Amber, Melanie (US)

Lost Souls
*1* Daisy

message 15: by Mandy (last edited Jun 19, 2016 02:03PM) (new)

Mandy (penn_y_lane) | 554 comments Better late than never - sci-fi mainly this month...

1. All the Birds in the Sky by Charlie Jane Anders All the Birds in the Sky
Sophie

2. The Reapers are the Angels by Alden Bell The Reapers are the Angels
Amber

3. The Kill Order (Maze Runner, #0.5) by James Dashner The Kill Order
Stephanie, Sean, Amy, Melanie

4. Speak by Louisa Hall Speak
Agnieszka

5. Sand (Sand, #1-5) by Hugh Howey Sand
Perri

6. The Many Selves of Katherine North by Emma Geen The Many Selves of Katherine North
Brenda, Daisy, Kirsten

7. The Last One by Alexandra Oliva The Last One
Dana, Melanie, Vicki, Patricia

message 16: by Amy (last edited Jun 20, 2016 08:49PM) (new)

Amy (thenikitagirl) | 653 comments I am also going to try and use some categories from my challenges and not concentrate on thrillers this month.

1. Marching Powder Mel-USA
2. Anne of Green Gables
3. The Dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band
4. Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea Sophie
5. The Help Dana, Agnieszka, Vicki, Stephanie, Brenda, Daisy
6. The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty Mandy, Sean
7. Furiously Happy: A Funny Book About Horrible Things Perri
8. The Vampire Lestat Kirsten, Melanie (Can), Patricia, Amber

Marching Powder by Rusty Young Anne of Green Gables (Anne of Green Gables, #1) by L.M. Montgomery The Dirt Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band by Tommy Lee Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler The Help by Kathryn Stockett The Claiming of Sleeping Beauty (Sleeping Beauty, #1) by A.N. Roquelaure Furiously Happy A Funny Book About Horrible Things by Jenny Lawson The Vampire Lestat (The Vampire Chronicles, #2) by Anne Rice