What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Children's fantasy about palace intrigue

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (superfitz) | 3 comments I'm looking for a children's medieval swords and sorcery fantasy book about a plot to overthrow a royal family for control of their Kingdom. The main protagonists are the king, his daughter, and at least one knight or guard. The antagonists are the king's advisers and rivals, one of whom may have been a sorceror or wizard a la Merlin. Towards the end of the book, the knight and the princess escape the castle through a secret tunnel that leads out to a cave or by the sea. I also vaguely remember thinking the story didn't seem finished, as if there should be a sequel (though I've no clue if there was one).

I don't know when the book was published but I probably read it in second grade or so which would have been around 1989 but it certainly wasn't later than 1992. It could, of course, have been older than that but it doesn't seem like the sort of book that would have stayed in print for decades so I'd guess it was published sometime in the 80s.

It was maybe about 80 pages long and had some illustrations sprinkled throughout. The cover featured a Magic Kingdom-style castle on a light yellow background with, I think, a knight and maiden in the foreground.

This was one of the first books I remember truly enjoying so any help identifying it is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

message 2: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (superfitz) | 3 comments bump

message 3: by Kris (new)

Kris | 32283 comments Mod
The Bridge by Jeri Massi? Other books in the Bracken trilogy - https://www.goodreads.com/series/6186...

Is there a young male with magical powers (e.g., Danger in the Palace by Debra Doyle)?

Did you get to choose the adventure/storyline (e.g., The Haunted Castle of Ravencurse by Lynn Beach)?

message 4: by Jeff (new)

Jeff (superfitz) | 3 comments It wasn't any of those. As far as I remember there wasn't a young male with magical powers and it definitely wasn't a choose your own adventure type book. Thanks though.

message 5: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37567 comments Mod
Jeff, are you still looking for this or did you find it?

message 6: by Amanda (last edited Jun 05, 2019 10:46AM) (new)

Amanda (misterfive) | 203 comments Maybe The Princess and Curdie by George MacDonald? The version linked here has a yellow background. (It's been reprinted a lot and has many covers.)