Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > The Name of The Wind - Rothfuss - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jgrace (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:03AM) (new)

Jgrace | 2710 comments The Name of the Wind (The Kingkiller Chronicle, #1) by Patrick Rothfuss

The Name of The Wind - Rothfuss
Audio performance by Nick Podehl
4 stars

Kvothe has a story to tell. A long story, 662 pages worth. And this is only the first day of storytelling. To be continued; he thinks it will take three days to tell the full tale. Day two has already been published, but the author is taking his time about putting day three on paper. Just so you know, before you get sucked into the vortex.

I liked Kvothe. He’s an interesting character and his heart does seem to be in the right place. I feel for him. It must be difficult to be a multitalented genius and have your entire family murdered before you are even officially a teenager. I admire his survival skills. His arrogance was annoying. How can someone so smart be so stupid? Someone needs to reel this kid in. …. I’m sure it would have appealed to me more if I was 15 myself.

My opinion of this book seesawed, up and down, to an eventual balance in favor of the book overall. I liked the world building with it’s blend of science and magic. I disliked the predictable downtrodden hero persecuted by wealthy aristocrat plot. I loved that school tuition is variable and will increase for students who cut classes! I disliked the male adolescent perspective on females and sex. I tired of endless cliffhangers and I’m annoyed by the far from subtle foreshadowing. But, it was good enough. I’m trapped in the story. I’ll have to read the next one. However, I can wait until he has finally published the finale.

I had the audio and the kindle version of this book. Nick Podehl wasn’t bad, but he also didn’t do much to enhance the story. I listened to less than ¼ of the book. Reading the text was faster. The book is too long and would have benefitted from some editing.

message 2: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7644 comments I also enjoyed this book, but I cannot imagine listening to it! And for someone who may pick up the MM paperback format, it was well over 700 pages!

I was hoping to get to the second installment this month, but I went with the Mists of Avalon instead. Have you heard anything about a potential release date for the third and final installment?

message 3: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4850 comments Nicole wrote: "Have you heard anything about a potential release date for the third and final installment? "

Unfortunately, Rothfuss is very busy with his charity work and keeps putting off finishing book 3. He has not given any hints about when we might expect it. It's dismaying as book 2 was delayed for a couple of years (I think).

message 4: by Denizen (new)

Denizen (den13) | 1138 comments NotW and its sequel are my son's favorites. I enjoy them a great deal, too. Kvothe is a bit too precocious at times, but I just overlook his age and go along for the ride.