The Mystery, Crime, and Thriller Group discussion

Report for Duty > Hello from the piney woods of north Florida

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments I'm Allie, I've been a mystery lover since I started reading Poe as a child riding around in the back of our station wagon in the early 1970's. During high school I sit in the back of class reading Agatha Christie and in college it was Rex Stout and Ed McBain. I love the Alex Delaware books and am embarrassed, as a guy under sixty, to admit that I have read all the Cat Who books. I've also read the dragon tattoo books and others.

I am also a writer I've had a screenplay produced and several optioned and have recently jumped into the indie author market with a thriller last year and a mystery series this year (two are live, one is done and with the editor and I'm working on the fourth). One of the worst things about trying to write fast enough to make money is that I find it hard to read and write. I can't follow another author's plot while I have one I'm working on in my head. I have the latest Kellerman book sitting on my couch unread. I'm going to have to find a way to achieve a balance.

Feel free to friend me or ask me questions.

Cheers to all.

message 2: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

Nancy Oakes (quinnsmom) | 8557 comments Mod
Welcome, Allie, from the south coast of Florida!

message 3: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Thank you Nancy. Floridians are everywhere and not just in the weird news section of the paper :)

message 4: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

A.E. wrote: "Thank you Nancy. Floridians are everywhere and not just in the weird news section of the paper :)"

but you do have to admit there are a LOT of articles that start out with

"A Florida Man...."

message 5: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Yep and the reality is often crazier than a Carl Hiaasen plot. LOL

message 6: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

A.E. wrote: "Yep and the reality is often crazier than a Carl Hiaasen plot. LOL"

LOL. It's true. The alligator-as-lethal-weapon through the Wendy's drive-through window is still one of my favorites, as is the Taco Bell burrito as lethal weapon. I lived in CA most of my life and you'd think there'd be some really nutty stuff there, but what happens here just takes the cake.

message 7: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Don't forget the kid who was kissing the water moccasin, and the snake didn't take kindly to his advances.

message 8: by Nancy, Co-Moderator (new)

That was just dumb. Plain old dumb. Yep - it's interesting living here.

message 9: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1470 comments Welcome Allie from Western NY state. I have a friend who used to live in Florida. He moved back to WNY and said that a lot of weird stuff went on in Florida. Cold winters and snow wins out over Florida!

message 10: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Thanks Thomas, I want snow for the two weeks around Christmas and then I'm ready for spring. My parents were from northern Kentucky so we'd go up there at Christmas most years. That was the best of both worlds.

message 11: by Jan C (new)

Jan C (woeisme) | 35306 comments Welcome Allie from western North Carolina. I have a sister in Lee County. And, Thomas, one of the reasons I left Chicago was mild winters over the harsh ones off Lake Michigan, although I do miss it.

I did live in Jax for a bit. Also in SoCal for a bit. I prefer a place with seasons.

message 12: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments I appreciate the welcome Jan. I'm enjoying getting to know folks here. I've spent too much time on some of the political blogs (of both persuasions) lately. It's nice to spend time in a place where the air is fresh.

message 13: by Thomas (new)

Thomas (tom471) | 1470 comments Jan C wrote: "Welcome Allie from western North Carolina. I have a sister in Lee County. And, Thomas, one of the reasons I left Chicago was mild winters over the harsh ones off Lake Michigan, although I do miss i..."
My daughter lives in Statesville,NC. We were visiting a couple of months ago when she reminded her children to put something on their feet before going outside, "because of snakes." I said "There are no venomous snakes, right?" She said "Actually there are copperheads." I already knew about brown recluse spiders, because one of my grandchildren was bit by one and had to go the emergency room. I like visiting NC and Fl, but will continue to live in WNY.

message 14: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Thomas wrote: "Jan C wrote: "Welcome Allie from western North Carolina. I have a sister in Lee County. And, Thomas, one of the reasons I left Chicago was mild winters over the harsh ones off Lake Michigan, althou..."

What is really funny about this is that when I was a kid, and we went to Kentucky at Christmas I used to run out in the snow barefoot. The folks up there thought it was hilarious.

message 15: by stan (new)

stan (stanthewiseman) | 141 comments Good evening Allie
Greetings from leafy Edgware near Hertfordshire England
The weather here at the moment is great.
Nice to see you are crime fan,as I am.
Look out for Mike Billingham and Peter James just two of our best
crime writers
I will look out for your books
Kind regards

message 16: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Thank you Stan, it's always nice to know people across the pond just in case I have to make a run for it. cheers

message 17: by Beth (new)

Beth | 408 comments Welcome to the group, Allie!

message 18: by Bill, Co-Moderator (new)

Bill | 5391 comments Mod
Welcome to the group, Allie! :)

message 19: by A.E. (new)

A.E. Howe | 10 comments Hey Beth and Bill - thanks!