Read for the Win with Alpha Park Library! discussion

Summer of Epic Reads...Suggestions?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments Without realizing it, I've engaged in a summer of epic reads. The books I've ended up reading/rereading this summer have been large in both size and scope. Some have been stand-alone tomes, others members to an even larger series ("The Passage" trilogy for example--and if you haven't read them, I suggest you change that about your life).

Anyway, to continue with this trend of "epic reads," I'm open to suggestions. What are some huge, monster books you've read where you can plop yourself down in a world and live in it for a good, long while?

message 2: by Jennifer (last edited Jun 09, 2016 08:11AM) (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments http://www.epicreads.com/

There's a website for that. :)

I really enjoyed Wool.

It was originally self-published as a series of novellas, I believe. My book club loved it, even those who don't usually like sci-fi or dystopian fiction.

I also really like all of Donna Tart's books. They are long-ish, but they just drew me in. Not really in a fantasy way, though, just do to the author's excellent writing.

message 3: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments The Stand by Stephen King

Although I haven't actually finished it, I'm familiar enough with the story that I can pick up where I left off even if I haven't touched it in over a year. It's been an on again off again read for me for a while. It's one of my favorite stories, but it is a monster of a book to sit and read... And I tend to have "reading ADD" lol! But the story is so well written and the characters feel like family. It's one I keep very close to my heart.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments I like stories that are multi-generational, like Godfather, etc. My favorite is The Thornbirds by Colleen McCullough.

message 5: by L57 (new)

L57 | 12 comments Allison wrote: "The Stand by Stephen King

Although I haven't actually finished it, I'm familiar enough with the story that I can pick up where I left off even if I haven't touched it in over a year. It's been ..."

haha, "The Stand" is part of my goal of things to re-read prior to re-reading the Dark Tower series. "The Stand," "Salem's Lot," and possibly "Hearts in Atlantis" are all on my list.

Allie, it's SOOOOO good. Get on it, girl! At the very least, watch the mini-series with Rob Lowe so you can get to the end.

If you're looking for another end-of-world book, Joe Hill just released "The Fireman." I haven't had a chance to read it yet, but the few pages I've snuck from my copy were pretty good. The premise is that there is an infection going around that causes people to die from spontaneous combustion.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2...

message 6: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments I JUST got The Stand via eRead Illinois/Axis360 on audio. I'm a little afraid that it'll freak me out when I'm running though, like the time I was trail running, got lost, it got dark, and in the book I was listening to they found a woman's body in the spooky woods. :)

BTW, I would not suggest reading a book entitled
The Killing Forest when one is going to be in the woods, by oneself, after dark.

message 7: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Don't they have a forest in Japan where people go to die? Anyway, my favorite mega book is as always Gone with the Wind. I can literally sit down and read the whole thing in a day. Of course, I sleep minimally and no one is able to talk to me. I absolutely love that book and have read it every year since fifth grade. I have the movie on VHs, Dvd and bluray. I also watch that every year. If I so happen to accidently see it on Tv, I stop everything I am doing and watch it. Kevin has actually had to drag me off the couch before. I would like to try the outlander series. Everyone tells me how good they are but the books are so large they are intimidating. I have read the Thorn Birds, which I adore. I have also read most if not all of Stephen King and I think the Stand is his prediction of the ebola epidemic.

message 8: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments L57 wrote: "Allison wrote: "The Stand by Stephen King

Although I haven't actually finished it, I'm familiar enough with the story that I can pick up where I left off even if I haven't touched it in over a ..."

I've watched the miniseries so many times I just about know it by heart! lol!

message 9: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "I JUST got The Stand via eRead Illinois/Axis360 on audio. I'm a little afraid that it'll freak me out when I'm running though, like the time I was trail running, got lost, it got dark, and in the b..."

If you want a particularly scary book to listen to when you run try the Sign of Seven trilogy by Nora Roberts. Very good but very scary... especially the audio. It freaked my mom out while she was walking the first time the villain spoke!

message 10: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments Georgia wrote: "Don't they have a forest in Japan where people go to die? Anyway, my favorite mega book is as always Gone with the Wind. I can literally sit down and read the whole thing in a day. Of course, I sle..."

That would be Aokigahara Forest... a.k.a. Suicide Forest. It's at the base of Mount Fuji.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Jacobsen-Wood (jenjw4) | 19 comments Allison wrote: "Georgia wrote: "Don't they have a forest in Japan where people go to die? Anyway, my favorite mega book is as always Gone with the Wind. I can literally sit down and read the whole thing in a day. ..."

Alpha Park has a movie called "The Forest," which I think is loosely based upon that area. It's horror, though, and I would be too scared to watch it.

message 12: by Allison (new)

Allison | 19 comments Jennifer wrote: "Allison wrote: "Georgia wrote: "Don't they have a forest in Japan where people go to die? Anyway, my favorite mega book is as always Gone with the Wind. I can literally sit down and read the whole ..."

It is! It's a really good movie but it is pretty scary. There was also a SyFy original movie about it that was, believe it or not, even better.

message 13: by Georgia (new)

Georgia Brignall Mason | 27 comments Allison wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "Allison wrote: "Georgia wrote: "Don't they have a forest in Japan where people go to die? Anyway, my favorite mega book is as always Gone with the Wind. I can literally sit down an..."
I love scary. I'll have to get on the list for The forest. Ali S. would probably like that also. I'll look up the syfy one.