Me Before You (Me Before You, #1) Me Before You discussion

Lou and the Maze

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kayleigh Regan -SPOLIERS (kinda)
Can someone please explain what happened in the Maze? i know she was drunk and ended up naked and alone but how??

Iris What's confusing? She got drunk with a bunch of douchebag males and they took advantage of her. Whether or not she was raped is up for debate, but she was definitely abused there.

message 3: by Kei (new) - rated it 1 star

Kei It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons why I hate this book. I gave the book one star because the author didn't give a realistic reaction to this event. All Lou did after this was sulk and get a haircut and change her clothes to quirky stuff? Right. Even her sister who's supposed to be this smart character, didn't even bother to get her sister medically checked. Realistically, if you found your sister in that state, won't you panic? The author just made light of being gang raped as if Lou just slipped and had some bruises.

Kayleigh Regan Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons why I hate this book. I gave..."

Hi, yeah i understand what you mean about the lack of reaction. I'll be honest with you when i posted this i hadn't finish reading the book but i have got to the part where she breaks down in the maze now. Thank you :)

Paola Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons why I hate this book. I gave..."

I agree with you, but there is another book after this titled "After You". I haven't read it, but I'm hoping that the author goes back to it. Although, I don't think it's completely unrealistic. There are cases when people who were sexualty assulted to not say anything about it for years. Or ever. People who hide it from everyone else. As for her sister not checking her, well, I didn't like her. I thought she was a real bitch to Lou. But she's not an idiot. She should have noticed something was wrong. She did went out to look for her, but she should have noticed SOMETHING. But sometimes people don't know what to do or say or how to react to this type of situations. I have a friend who has depression and sometimes I can tell they're having a really bad day (if you get what I mean) and I honestly don't know what to do except ask them if they're okay. I know they're not okay, but I can't force them to talk about if they don't want too. I don't know how to help them except to just be there for them whenever they need me.

Kayleigh Regan Paola wrote: "Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons why I hate this ..."

I agree with you on Treena. Have you seen the movie? I don't like how they portrayed her, i feel they made her too nice.

I agree with you about the way she was coping like her clothes and her cheeriness was her way to get over it. Also a line Patrick says after her birthday dinner about it taking ages for them to be intimate suggests that something happened

message 7: by Kei (new) - rated it 1 star

Kei Paola wrote: "I agree with you, but there is another book after this titled "After You". I haven't read it, but I'm hoping that the author goes back to it. Although, I don't think it's completely unrealistic. ..."

It's a gang rape though. It felt like the author made light of that issue and it was mainly put in the book so Lou can have a reason why she dresses that way. It feels like an afterthought for me. Another unrealistic scene was when Lou, who's supposed to be desperate for a job, didn't even look up the meaning of quadriplegic when she applied for a quadriplegic caregiver. An adult who's desperate for a job will not do that.

"I'm applying for the novel writer position."
"Do you know what a novel is?"
"That thing with letters?"

Who does this? And this is why I'll never buy another Jojo Moyes book.

Anyway, if fans are going to give me hate, I just wanna say that I actually like the story. It's the author who I don't like. Peace. :)

message 8: by Iris (last edited Jun 09, 2016 07:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons why I hate this book. I gave..."

I didn't not like the book although that part upset me to no end. Not because of how Lou reacted because she was a victim and they each react in their own ways. But as you said, because her sister seemed so unconcerned with what happened to Lou. It even mentions that she gave her a look that said "Well what did you expect when you drink with strange guys?/This is partially your fault." I hate her sister for that.

Raylene Cheatwood Kayleigh wrote: "Paola wrote: "Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one of the reasons wh..."
I felt that Treena and Mrs. Traynor was not portrayed well at all in the movie. I am also disappointed that they left the maze part of the book totally out of the movie!

message 10: by Iris (last edited Jun 14, 2016 07:59AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Iris Raylene wrote: "Kayleigh wrote: "Paola wrote: "Kei wrote: "It was heavily implied that she was gang raped. Even when she was still conscious, she was passed around and when she woke up, she was naked. This is one ..."

I had a feeling they would! I haven't seen the movie yet, but based on the trailers I could tell that they were going to make the movie more light-hearted than the book. Because who wants to deal with abuse in what's supposed to be a love story right? (Wrong! It takes away from the connection and trust that the two eventually form.)

Bipeda Implume I can understand that she just depressed, bought non-sexy clothes and pretended nothing happend. The family thought it was normal because they were all coping with Luo´s grandma death and she didn´t tell for the same reason.
I´ve lived in a little place and it´s much like it´s portrayed in the book: a little hell where everyone gossip and judge, so I didn´t find it weird. Only Treena´s behivor is off.