IGGPPC : Iggle BookWorms discussion

Starflight (Starflight, #1)
This topic is about Starflight
Book Discussions > June 2016 Book of the Month- Starflight

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Hello all you lovely Iggles!! Here is the main book you chose for June! Hope you all enjoy it!

The synopsis:

Life in the outer realm is a lawless, dirty, hard existence, and Solara Brooks is hungry for it. Just out of the orphanage, she needs a fresh start in a place where nobody cares about the engine grease beneath her fingernails or the felony tattoos across her knuckles. She's so desperate to reach the realm that she's willing to indenture herself to Doran Spaulding, the rich and popular quarterback who made her life miserable all through high school, in exchange for passage aboard the spaceliner Zenith.

When a twist of fate lands them instead on the Banshee, a vessel of dubious repute, Doran learns he's been framed on Earth for conspiracy. As he pursues a set of mysterious coordinates rumored to hold the key to clearing his name, he and Solara must get past their enmity to work together and evade those out for their arrest. Life on the Banshee may be tumultuous, but as Solara and Doran are forced to question everything they once believed about their world—and each other—the ship becomes home, and the eccentric crew family. But what Solara and Doran discover on the mysterious Planet X has the power to not only alter their lives, but the existence of everyone in the universe...

Post any questions, commenta and thoughts below!!

-Michelle

Desiree (dezpresso) | 1 comments Based on the synopsis it's not something I would normally pick for myself, but a friend recommended it so I voted for it for Iggleworms.

I'm a few chapters into this and I have to say that I freaking love it so far. It's interesting.

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Desiree wrote: "Based on the synopsis it's not something I would normally pick for myself, but a friend recommended it so I voted for it for Iggleworms.

I'm a few chapters into this and I have to say that I frea..."

Awesome!! I'm picking my copy up from the library tonight!! I can't wait to read it!

message 4: by Adeline (new) - added it

Adeline (chips_) I'll start reading Starflight this week-end. Someone compared it to Firefly (I don't remember where I read this) and I immediately got interested!

Desiree (dezpresso) | 1 comments I left a 5 star review that simply reads: "Amazeballs".

It has been a while since I have read a book that has kept me up late because I just couldn't put it down. I really loved the story line and it was just captivating.

There's a "sequel" coming out next year, "StarFall" but it's in the perspective of two of the Banshee's shipmates. I'm curious to read that as well.

Michelle (michelletheresa) | 228 comments Just finished this and I loved it!! Definitely got a Firefly vibe from it. I've also read her Alienated series which I really liked too, so check that out if you like the author.

Lindsey (naommah) So
Inara = Cassia?
Kaylee = Solara
Simon = Doran?

Do ya'll think Kane fits for Mal?
Legitly besides opposite sex
Zoe = Renny

Wash was one of my very favorites.
And so much love for Jayne, ahem and Vera.
Ya know I just loved the whole crew in FF and SF.
I didn't need the romance of Solara and Doran though. I enjoyed it but it did feel like it was one of those i can't get away from you and i'm bored so your are growing on me.

For readers of Red Rising- I felt like Daro the Red was a fun shout out. ♡

Great Rec Desiree! Looking forward to the next one.

Bree (colibree) | 63 comments Finally got this from the library. I'm surprised there wasn't a longer wait for it. Given your reviews I'm super excited to start reading it :D

Queenie | 4 comments I loved it!!! And with all your comments I'm considering finally watching Firefly now. I wouldn't have read it if I knew it was a series though... I always get way too emotionally involved with those (I'm looking forward to the sequel now, don't get me wrong)

I do agree about the unnecessary romance (plus we all saw it coming, didn't we?) but I've seen far worse : they were sweet.

Lindsey (naommah) Renise Go do it!! I hope you enjoy it too!
And yeah of course it was undeniably coming! Yep plenty sweeter than some books :)

Kendall • thegeekyyogi (thegeekyyogi) | 74 comments I actually enjoyed this book WAY more then I thought it would! I was worried that there would be a lot of the stereotypical young adult themes, but the author really found a way to make Starflight a lot more unique then all that. I absolutely loved all the characters on the Banshee (especially Acorn haha) and had a blast following through on all the adventures. It only took me two days to read it and I must say I'm excited to read the second one.

message 12: by Bree (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bree (colibree) | 63 comments I'm really glad I read this book! It was sooo good, can't wait for the rest of the series. If I had known it was a Disney publication I would've voted for this selection since March :D I had a blast reading it

Jennifer (unicornprincez4) | 12 comments I love this book so much. I've been missing Firefly, and things like it so this really was a great fix for me. I can't wait for the sequel to come out! :) One of my favorite bits was the fight on the pirate ship, I thought the action was really well written.