50 books to read before you die discussion

50 Books to Read BYD General > What is your favorite novel on the list? Why?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Robert Brunier (new)

Robert Brunier | 1 comments Did this novel have an impact on you in any way?

message 2: by Colleen (new)

Colleen I haven't read all of them by any means, but my favorite off this list is The Count of Monte Cristo. It just makes a person ponder revenge and how much is really worth it. I have to get it out every few years and reread it

message 3: by George (new)

George Hudson | 7 comments I really love the Harry Potter series. I started reading them when i was a kid.

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim Williamson | 66 comments Jane Eyre was my first literature love, so it will always hold a special place. Harry Potter truly is magical, a perfect series that I have shared with my kids. A Christmas Carol plays to my love of Christmas and redemption stories, plus it's fun to see in print all the lines that I have heard countless times in my watching of the different movie versions of this novel. I read The Color Purple because of this list, and adore it. Learning to love yourself and love and forgive others and triumphs of human spirit. Good Stuff.

message 5: by Joe (new)

Joe Roche | 1 comments I would have to say that my favorites on the list are the Harry Potter Series ( Sorcerer's Stone) and To Kill A Mockingbird. I always let people borrow books but those are the two that I'm protective over and don't let anyone touch. I really do like the Count of Monte Cristo though.

message 6: by layal (new)

layal hamdar (layal_lilo) | 6 comments Joe wrote: "I would have to say that my favorites on the list are the Harry Potter Series ( Sorcerer's Stone) and To Kill A Mockingbird. I always let people borrow books but those are the two that I'm protecti..."

lolll I also protect harry potter series as snape wanted to protect Harry

message 7: by Aidan (new)

Aidan Reid (aidanjreid) Don Quixote and LOTR are in my top 3 books of all time. Don because it's just incredibly well written, funny and you can't help but fall in love with the characters. LOTR, I read before the movies came out. I was with Sam and Frodo all the way - Ridiculous world building from the imagination of a literary genius. Something that will never be repeated in fiction again - sorry Thrones fans!

message 8: by Buck (new)

Buck (spectru) Aidan wrote: "Don Quixote and LOTR are in my top 3 books of all time. Don because it's just incredibly well written, funny and you can't help but fall in love with the characters. LOTR, I read before the movies ..."

What's the third book of your top 3?

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (book_worm1928) | 6 comments Pride and the prejudice, Jane Austen. How can you not love a classic and highly dramatic Victorian romance novel? In a society that literally considers you an outcast if you're an independently thinking woman who has standards for marriage instead of following the social norm of an arranged marriage. Talk about drama, Elizabeth and Darcy challenge each other in every way possible you cannot be bored with this book.

message 10: by Christopher (last edited Jun 24, 2016 08:24AM) (new)

Christopher Struck (struck_chris) | 37 comments Hi Aidan -- I agree that LOTR's world building is far > thrones.

Thrones does a different type of story though too. I am also interested in what your third book is :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

My favorite on the list is Hamlet. There is a character type for everyone! Drama, insanity, blood and death! Yay!

My all time favorite isn't on the list though: Great Expectations. Pip is my favorite flawed protagonist ever.