Play Book Tag discussion

The Boston Girl
This topic is about The Boston Girl
Archive: Other Books > The Boston Girl by Anita Diamant - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2143 comments Eighty-five year-old Addie Baum recalls her life as a young Jewish woman growing up in Boston in the early 1900's. She was one of three daughters born to immigrant parents who were unprepared for the sweeping changes of a new country and a new century. Addie hopes to go to high school and to college but Mrs. Baum sees no reason for a girl to aspire to more than becoming a wife and mother. Fortunately, Addie makes friends with several girls and teachers at the Saturday Club and they encourage Addie to pursue her dreams. Through her early years, Addie will see loved ones die in the devastating flu epidemic, live through the country's Great Depression, be a part of the new feminist movement, and fall in love with a wonderful man.

I listened to this book on audio read by Linda Lavin and she did a marvelous job - the perfect voice for Addie. I loved Addie's character and wanted her to have everything she longed for. Despite a terrible relationship with her mother (what an awful woman!), Addie never believed she couldn't accomplish anything she put her mind to and she bravely faced whatever came her way. The book had a lot of humor as well as deep sadness but it's one that I enjoyed very much.

Jgrace | 2817 comments This was such a good book. I don't think it received the attention that it deserved. And I agree with you about the audio. I really enjoyed Linda Lavin.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8534 comments This was one of my favorite books of last year, in my top four! I wrote a beautiful review - who knows if it got translated to Goodreads. I will see Anita Diamant tonight and will tell her what you both said. I truly loved it.