Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [2017] 1st Mini-Poll Results

Comments Showing 1-50 of 53 (53 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (last edited Jun 12, 2016 10:41AM) (new)

Laura | 3824 comments Mod
Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new challenge in 2017!

The winners of the first mini-poll are:

- A book by an author you haven't read before
- A book in the middle of your TBR list
- A book from someone else's bookshelf
- A book with a strong female character

Bottom:
- An illuminated novel or a book with an illuminated cover design
- A book set in your hometown
- A book made into a movie that the author hated

Suggestions for the 2nd mini-poll will open on Saturday, June 11 so be ready!

message 2: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Yay! I'm very happy with those. So excited for 2017!

message 3: by Silvia (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments None of my choices, but they sound good anyway :-)

message 4: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments One of my choices made it and none was in my bottom 4, yey :)
As the previous girls, I'm totally fine with these winners, they won't be difficult to fill. I was very interested in some losers, so it will be nice to see them eventually appear again in the 6th poll.

message 5: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments We're off to a great start! I voted for two of these and none of them were from my bottom 4!

I have to admit the 'a book from someone else's bookshelf' one was a little bit unclear to me (does it mean another users TBR list on here, someone else's physical bookshelf that we know? I think I need a bit of clarification on that one) but I'm still happy with it, and I think it could be very interesting.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 546 comments I am very happy with these choices. I am pretty sure 3 of them are in my top 4! Also not gonna lie I already started my list for next year! lol

message 7: by Jody (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments I was a bit unclear on that one too Francesca, but I think it can mean either - I'll probably end up pinching a book from the Spider's bookcase for that week.

message 8: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Francesca > it's probably better to leave it opened to 2 interpretations (real bookshelf and Read-shelf) because not everybody has friends or family who are readers ;)

message 9: by Francesca (new)

Francesca | 786 comments Zaz wrote: "Francesca > it's probably better to leave it opened to 2 interpretations (real bookshelf and Read-shelf) because not everybody has friends or family who are readers ;)"

That's a good point!

message 10: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (girlvsbook) | 1176 comments I can't remember what I voted for, haha. But none from my bottom 4. I'm good with these. Great start, guys.

message 11: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Wow! One of mine made it through!

message 12: by Katie (last edited Jun 08, 2016 11:40AM) (new)

Katie | 2369 comments You guys are all so positive. I love how excited you are. I'm a little disappointed with these winners, but I'm sure I'll find good books to fill them. I was hoping for prompts that were a little less generic, but I know that we will get a good mix of open ended and more specific by the time our list is finished. This is such a fun process to get to all participate in to create the reading challenge. I think it's more fun than getting the Popsugar one and than just making up your own challenge. I enjoy this group so much & all the work the mods do to make a fun time for everyone.

message 13: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new challenge in 2017! "

Laura, do you know what time the next mini-poll will open?

message 14: by J (new)

J Austill | 674 comments - A book by an author you haven't read before

I voted for this one and I'm glad it made it. It is a bit similar to this year's topic 'A book by an author you rally should have read by now', but as Zaz said: it is different because it could be any author that is new to you (maybe even an author that is publishing their first book in 2017).

- A book in the middle of your TBR list

This one was in my bottom four for the poll. I HATED it and I was aghast at seeing it win. But then I realized that it has been changed. In the poll, it said: 'A book from the middle page of your TBR'. The big issue I had is that my TBR does not have Pages. For this year's '16th book on your TBR' I had to find 5+ books to add to even get 16. I surely didn't want to add hundreds of books so that I could have a 'middle page'.

- A book from someone else's bookshelf

Lol. Looks like I'm going to have to be looking at ya'll's bookshelves.

- A book with a strong female character

Another of my top 4. I am always looking for this book prompt anyway. Now I just have a new excuse.

message 15: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

J wrote: "- A book by an author you haven't read before

I voted for this one and I'm glad it made it. It is a bit similar to this year's topic 'A book by an author you rally should have read by now', but as..."

I think it's always important to remember that we're a very understanding group. The middle of your TBR could be the middle of a physical bookshelf or a paper list. Someone else's bookshelf could just come from a conversation where someone says they bought a book. We really aren't picky when it comes to picking books ;)

message 16: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Katie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new challenge in 2017! "

Laura, do you know what time the next mini-poll will open?"

I hesitate to put exact times since something may come up that prevents me from posting at an exact time. I will try my best to get it posted at/near 8am EST on Saturday. We try to vary the days/times to accommodate different time zones/schedules so the 3rd and 4th polls will likely be evening polls.

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Two of them were ones I voted for, and the other two I can live with. Off to a good start everyone!

Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new challenge in 2017!

The winners of the first mini-poll are:

- A book by an author you haven't read before
- A bo..."

Laura, I submitted a topic, but it was at the same time as someone else and my post ended up being after the 20th topic for this poll. I think there was someone else who had the same thing happen. Do we need to resubmit our topics or will you add them when you create the poll?

message 18: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Peter wrote: "Two of them were ones I voted for, and the other two I can live with. Off to a good start everyone!

Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new c..."

I can put them at the top of the comments in the next suggestion topic so that people can see that there are two suggestions and what they are.

message 19: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Laura wrote: "Peter wrote: "Two of them were ones I voted for, and the other two I can live with. Off to a good start everyone!

Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the ..."

That's awesome! Thanks so much for putting your time and effort into this!!

message 20: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I'm happy with 2 of the prompts, and okay but not thrilled with the other 2.

A book by an author you've never read before is good because it's quite broad, and I pretty much knew it was going to be chosen based on the discussion that was going on in the other thread. I like that it gives a lot of room for choice, but it is pretty similar to prompts we've done before.

The "middle of your TBR" was one of my top 4 because I found it pretty interesting. To me, it was a similar concept to the "16th on your list" prompt from this year, but with a lot more room for choice. Considering how many ways there are for us to set our TBR lists (ie. by date, completely random, by publishing date, etc). there's lots of room to find something interesting.

A book from someone else's bookshelf is one that I'm not so interested in. I guess it's a part of my aversion to group work in a way, since I don't like relying on other people's work to do something of my own. I've already decided that to make it a bit more of a challenge for myself, I'm going to choose something that is on the other person's list but is not on my own list.

A book with a strong female character was in my top 4, because I think there could be some really interesting choices. I liked that it was a strong character, and not necessarily the protagonist.

I'm actually a bit disappointed that my top choice didn't make it!

message 21: by Brianna (new)

Brianna (bebecburt) | 549 comments With the other persons shelf option- on goodreads you can compare books that are on your shelf and what's on another person's shelf. may make it easier to find overlap to pick a book. (sorry, on my phone so can't really link anything)

message 22: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Rachel - Don't give up on your top choice yet! There's still 12 more polls so you can resubmit it, or perhaps someone else will as well.

I found last year there were a lot of really good choices that didn't make it and were never resubmitted for future votes, so if you really like one, toss it back in and maybe it will make it through in another vote.

message 23: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Can you submit an idea in each mini-poll? Even if yours made it in another?

message 24: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments The mods ask that if you submitted in the most recent poll that you wait two days to allow other members the chance to offer up ideas.

Usually, this will mean you won't be able to suggest a topic in every poll, but will be able to in every other one. If after two days there still aren't 20 suggested topics (or the limit for that poll if there is a different number for that poll), you can submit a topic.

message 25: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Well none of those was my top 4, but two were in my bottom 4. Not sure how I feel about that, lol.

message 26: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Barstad (maidenoflight) Also, if you could possibly do a suggestions post sometime after 10 pm that would be great so I could have a chance to suggest something.

message 27: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments I'm a little confused about the two day rule, since more than 2 days have passed since the last suggestion thread...

message 28: by J (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:27PM) (new)

J Austill | 674 comments ^They mean that, if your suggestion made Poll #1, you have to wait for 2 days after the Suggestion Thread for Poll#2 is posted before offering a suggestion there.

This will certainly mean that anyone who got a suggestion in on Poll #1 won't even get to do one for Poll #2 (the first poll was built in 2 hours!) But it might mean that someone who gets a suggestion into Poll #17 will also get one into Poll #18. I don't know, maybe the fervor will die down a bit?

I'm setting my alarm early on June 11th.

message 29: by Peter (new)

Peter | 0 comments Yea, sorry - once the next suggestion thread opens you have to wait two days if you added one in this suggestion thread.

So if I submitted a topic for poll #1 in the suggestions, whether or not it is chosen as one of the top 4 categories and makes it onto the 2017 list, once the poll #2 suggestion thread opens, I have to wait two days to allow other members the chance to make submissions before I add another of my own. If after two days there have not been 20 topics submitted, I can submit another one.

J is right though - chances are the 20 topics will be added very quickly, especially for the first few polls when everyone has a topic to add. We will never get up to 17 polls though... there's only going to be 13. I found last year things slowed down a little bit by the end, but the topics still filled up fairly quickly. There weren't many times that it took more than a day, often only a few hours to reach 20 submissions.

message 30: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

If I remember correctly, there were a few polls (maybe 2) where people were able to take advantage of the the "two-day rule" expiring. But it was later in the process, as Peter mentioned.

Jennifer, I plan on doing at least half of the polls as late night polls. So that shouldn't be an issue :)

message 31: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments I voted against the "middle of your TBR" because it said "middle page" and I thought about (lucky) people who have small TBR (especially you, J). But since it changed a bit and you can take the middle of the whole TBR, I'm ok with this prompt.

None of my votes passed, but now I have inspiration of the next polls!

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Honestly, I don't get why people were so opposed to the "middle page" topic. For those who have short TBRs, even less than a page, wouldn't it just naturally be middle of your list?

message 33: by °~Amy~° (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments I can't even remember what I voted for but these winners are all do-able so I'm happy.

- A book by an author you haven't read before I have lots of new to me authors on my tbr list so this won't be difficult

- A book in the middle of your TBR list - "middle" can mean the middle page of your tbr (pg 10 of 20 pages), the middle book (book number 50 of 100, or simply anything between the first and last book on your tbr list really. It's all up to how each individual wants to interpret the idea I think. I am going to play around with my tbr when the time comes and see which option works best for my mood of the moment.

- A book from someone else's bookshelf - not my favorite simply because I have a hard time finding other people with similar reading tastes as mine. But I may find something going through the 2017 reading plans of other members here.

- A book with a strong female character - I read a lot of sci-fi and YA so this shouldn't be a problem either.

So far so good Mods. Very excited to see the whole list come together.

message 34: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (sawphie) | 2924 comments Rachel wrote: "Honestly, I don't get why people were so opposed to the "middle page" topic. For those who have short TBRs, even less than a page, wouldn't it just naturally be middle of your list?"

It depends how you understand the topic. If the person who suggested it wanted it to be the middle of the list, they would have stated it so.

message 35: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments Laura wrote: "Katie wrote: "Laura wrote: "Our first mini-poll has come to an end and we are officially on the way to a new challenge in 2017! "

Laura, do you know what time the next mini-poll will open?"

I hes..."

Laura, thank you for varying the times of the polls. So considerate. You guys think of everything!

message 36: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Sophie wrote: "Rachel wrote: "Honestly, I don't get why people were so opposed to the "middle page" topic. For those who have short TBRs, even less than a page, wouldn't it just naturally be middle of your list?"..."

It just goes to show be precise.

message 37: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2633 comments Sophie, I get that people specify their topics a certain way for a reason. I was just saying that people who only had a short TBR of a page or so seemed to think the topic didn't apply so well to them. My point was that someone who only had one page would still have a "middle page," it would just be the middle couple of options on page 1.

message 38: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) There's an easy way to figure it out. How many books are on your TBR? Divide that by 2.

message 39: by Silvia (last edited Jun 09, 2016 10:23AM) (new)

Silvia Turcios | 1071 comments Actually that was not the initial suggestion. it was "a book in the middle page of your TBR" and even gave an example "if you have 13 pages, you should pick a book on page 7". I have just one page, 56 books in my TBR, so according to that I could choose any of my books in my TBR :-) I understand why the change and I am Ok with that

message 40: by Jody (last edited Jun 09, 2016 09:42AM) (new)

Jody (jodybell) | 3472 comments Everyone is different - some people like to follow the prompts down to the letter, and others are more free. The best thing that I've found about this group is that we all accept each other's choices & quirks.

message 41: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) If you only have one page, it IS the middle page. Or you can change the amount of books per page so you will have more than one page. I don't understand why this is so difficult. It's not as if we're being graded on how people interpret the challenge.

I don't mean to be argumentative, but all this strikes me as just a little silly.

My 2 cents.

message 42: by Zaz (new)

Zaz | 3034 comments Katie wrote: "Laura, thank you for varying the times of the polls. So considerate. You guys think of everything!"

There was one mod in Europa who was complaining because polls happened during her night :p
It's better to give a chance to everybody to, at least, suggest one category. On my side, I enjoy to see suggestions made by others as some are very imaginative and interesting.

Laura > yes you remember well, I think we did 2 polls (?) with 30 suggestions near the end and I'm not sure the last succeeded to have the 30. Summer holidays also slowed the submissions.

message 43: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten  (kmcripn) Very good point. Sometimes people forget about pesky things like time zones.

message 44: by J (new)

J Austill | 674 comments Kirsten *Dogs Welcome - People Tolerated" wrote: "If you only have one page, it IS the middle page. Or you can change the amount of books per page so you will have more than one page. I don't understand why this is so difficult. It's not as if we'..."

I think the point of my original post was lost in this discussion (or not all the obvious). I was commending Laura (or whoever) for altering that topic to make it more flexible. Ya'll are saying that we could have just 'interpreted' it a different way to make it work -> but we don't have to. It got fixed.

Though to your last point, I can't even alter my TBR to have a middle page. The minimum number of books per page is 10 and even with it set to 10 I don't have a middle page. Perhaps I can just print the list in font 24?

message 45: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

I actually didn't alter the suggestion intentionally. I think I interpreted the original suggestion as the general "middle of your TBR" and then I thought the person had used page as an example. So I simply removed the example.

Regardless, I think it's dangerous to try and overthink any prompt. Just go with how you want your challenge to be formed. It is your list and we're just here to provide discussion and support. Our group has been commended on its ability to be friendly and welcoming and the hope is to continue this feel :)

message 46: by Marta (new)

Marta (gezemice) | 784 comments Great choices! I don't recall what I voted for, but I am happy with them. They are all quite broad. I like that, but also agree with Katie that it is good to have more specific ones, too. Although I would caution against too specific. The Popsugar challenge has "first book you see in a book store". I rarely go to the book store, but in mine they have cookbooks, coloring books, and promoted books at the entrance. I am just not going to read that.

message 47: by Katie (new)

Katie | 2369 comments I'm way behind with the TBR one. Mine is all one long list, so I thought, how can there be separate pages? I just realized I had it set to infinite scroll. Now I see that I can choose the number of books per page. Man, you learn something every day.

message 48: by °~Amy~° (last edited Jun 09, 2016 03:51PM) (new)

°~Amy~° (amybooksit) | 2871 comments Laura wrote: "Our group has been commended on its ability to be friendly and welcoming and the hope is to continue this feel :) "

Which is exactly why I only use this page for all my reading challenge needs. I joined a popsugar one but don't use it because there seems to be some serious judgey-judging going on. No thank you. I love how supportive and helpful everyone is on this page, even when I am stumbling over my words and don't mean what I typed (I type much like I speak, in jumbles!) :-)

PS. Is is Saturday yet? I want to vote! :-)

message 49: by Laura, Celestial Sphere Mod (new)

Amy wrote: "Laura wrote: "Our group has been commended on its ability to be friendly and welcoming and the hope is to continue this feel :) "

Which is exactly why I only use this page for all my reading chall..."

I totally see what you mean! I catch myself being repetitive and I have to go back and make sure I'm actually concise. But it makes sense because that's what I do when I speak :P

message 50: by Nicole (new)

Nicole I totally suggested the "middle page" prompt. I didn't mean to cause so much controversy, I swear! Please don't hurt me! :)

My reason behind it: I really liked the idea of the "16th book on your TBR list," but I hated that it was so specific. I like the idea of using the challenge to help read the books on my TBR list, so I thought going by a "page" would give you more choice to find a book you already have, one available at the library, etc.

I have my list set at 20 books per page, but if you want to expand that to the 5 middle pages of your list, or between just 2 books on your list, go for it! My goal was to offer another suggestion to help tackle your list of books you want to read but haven't had the chance to yet!

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.