Fantasy and Vampire Book Club discussion

General Chit Chat > Paperback or Ebook.. the debate continues

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Adele (turtil) | 1767 comments Mod
Originally this topic was posted:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
however it just asks Paperback or Ebook.... i want to delve deeper if i can.
So the original Question which do you prefer, Paperback or Ebook?

we are trying to accommodate to a large group of people and in order to do so we as moderators need to find out what you like and don't like.
In this case, do you like to read Paperback or Ebooks?

with our BOM we prefer that the book is availible in all formats. but what do you think if it was only availible in one format? what if we do a format per month? or even have two books per month a Paperback and an ebook read?

Your feedback on this would be appreciated.

Aly is so frigging bored Ebooks mostly. I buy the PBS of the books I love and I know I'll e-read :D

message 3: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Sep 07, 2017 09:46AM) (new)

I guess i like both.
i might borrow a book from the library, then i might buy it the next time i am shopping.
but i cannot resist a free ebook. i have accounts on various websites( smashwords, amazon and more!... especially netgalley). my TBR list on my Tablet is MASSIVE!
but i just love the smell of old books, i love cracking open a new book, Reading on my tablet is just more convenient when i'm travelling around. i don't have to lug the books around!

message 4: by Julie (new)

Julie (juliejewels) | 23 comments For me it's paper books is my favorite to read. I grew up with paper books, and being in my 50's I am used to paper books. On the other hand I own lot's of ebooks. I do have kindle on my phone and Ipad.
My mother likes to read books, but won't read ebooks. I tried telling her it will save space in her home of the magazines she keeps piled up. She is very stubborn. Lol...

message 5: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Amyiw | 1083 comments Mod
Like Aly, I have copies of my favorites on my shelves. I try to get the Hard Cover as it shelves better and they usually have larger print.

I no longer like to read mass market paperback as the print is usually too small for comfort. I can still read them but glasses would be good. I still have a lot of unread paperbacks on my shelves but don't think they will get read unless I get used to glasses. With my eReader I can just increase the font. Hard Covers usually have slightly larger print and lay better in hand. I still like reading my hardcovers. Just flipping the pages makes you feel like you are getting there. Still I've become pretty used to my Kindle and Nook and love the back lighting.

I'm now trying to do a clear out for space of any that aren't on my TBR soon, favorites, or too interesting to get rid of. I'll always read magazines only in physical form as I don't like them in digital. They don't skim and flip well and the photos are so much better in the paper form.

message 6: by Norma, BOM & Co Moderator (new)

Norma Mills | 653 comments Mod
I am really starting to like Audiobook, but my choice is paperback. IT is more cozy, it is something you don't have to worry about if it shorts out, and the feel and smell of the pages is so worth it.

message 7: by Adele, Moderator (new)

Tamara this is not the place for promoting your books... try the members work area. But thank you for your input on the topic.

message 8: by Jeana (new)

Jeana Budnick | 90 comments I've never used an ereader and don't have much interest in getting one at this point. My preferred style of book is mass market paperback. I have small hands so I find them the most comfortable to hold while reading. Plus they take up less space than hardcover or trader paperback.

message 9: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Venegas | 1 comments I have to go with paperback because you can always have it with you where ever you go. E book too but, it's not the same as flipping though the pages of your favorite book. If you guys know what I mean.

message 10: by Mikayla (new)

Mikayla Elliot (mikaylaelliot) | 4 comments Adele wrote: "Originally this topic was posted:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
however it just asks Paperback or Ebook.... i want to delve deeper if i can.
So the original Quest..."

I love myself a hard copy/paperback of any book, personally! However, for my published work I have both formats available. The ease of access is beneficial to readers, and I had done my own poll to get an idea of how many people would be interested in both formats. I have some family members who only prefer eBooks, as it removes the clutter of physical books and they can utilize the file anywhere they go. While others, such as myself, love that physical copy to smell the fresh, new pages and feel the texture!
Additionally, something to consider as I experience, I have astigmatisms in each eye, so the electronic glow does Not work well with my vision-though I do have an eReader and eBooks on my phone, I still love that physical copy.

message 11: by Deb (new)

Deb B (et1420) basically age is catching up to me and my eyesight cannot handle small print so my hundreds of paperbacks adorn my bookshelf but sadly rarely get opened. give me an e-book any day

message 12: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (new)

Deb wrote: "basically age is catching up to me and my eyesight cannot handle small print so my hundreds of paperbacks adorn my bookshelf but sadly rarely get opened. give me an e-book any day"

I have that issue coming on. I still can read paperback without glasses but hold it way out and need good lighting. I will pick up trade paperback or hardcover and find that they are easier to read as the print is larger. Still I'm at the point that more than 1/2 my books are audio because I can get stuff done. Then ebook is my second choice now as I can put the higher font and... I can increase the lighting (backlit screens are incredible), makes it really easy to read. And you read faster when you can see better.

My young daughter has my hand me down Paperwhite but she prefers the book! She is 11 so you would think she would be all into the electronics but says, she likes to see her progress in pages and bookmarks. The percent doesn't do it. Still at night she will switch because of the back light. I look in on her and she has the light so low that I would struggle even on really large print. Young eyes.

message 13: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Dec 18, 2017 10:55PM) (new)

I was thinking about when I first joined Goodreads in 2011. I loved it because I had started reading quite a bit of UF and PNR, in the 100s and needed to keep track. I joined a Library Thing along with Goodreads. I filled in what I read in 2011 and guessed at 2010 and fudge a lot before that but since I was only reading maybe 2 or 3 books a month, I probably didn't miss much. I became addicted to the fantasy and escaping. Loved this genre and started back into a love of reading that college kind of took away.

So here I was in 2011, running to library sales and used bookstores. I joined Bookmooch and Paperbackswap and always had at least 2 paperbacks stuffed in my giant purse. I had to have the next book just in case I finished the one I was on. This probably continued all of 2010-2012.

Somewhere around the end of 2012, I got my first ebook reader though it was a off brand, not Sony, Kindle, Kobi, or Nook. I started experimenting with different readers and finally got an old Nook. These had no back light. Still I found I was going to the eReader more and more as I could carry several books at once and choose what I was in the mood for at the time. I started read a lot more. I think it was this choice that boosted my reading to 200.

I then got a Kindle 3 (keyboard and discovered how easy Amazon integration was. I've since come to hate that Amazon has taken over my Home screen and the way my Kindle searches but at the time being able to buy a book and send it , immediately to my device, that was great. I upgraded to a Nook glow as I got a great deal. I now could easily read at night and increase the font which I was needing more and more. I got a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas but the 1st gen really was stinky and I sent it back. The lighting was uneven and the response time was horrid. My friend talked me into buying the 2nd gen and it works much better.

We have 2 Paper whites on my account, one I didn't upgrade the software and now cannot get books direct for Amazon. I love the software and search functions. Amazon has screwed new Kindle owners with bloat ware and ads. Even if you don't have the with ads version, you can no longer search just what you have on your Kindle. It has a memory of your library and even sometimes gives suggestions that you don't have anymore (maybe because you had borrowed it from a library). I want a reader that I can use as just a reader and not integrate with Goodreads or Amazon or Facebook, etc... I don't want suggestion from Amazon, I get plenty of better ones right here. I have to ignore the bloat ware and try to work around it as well as possible . Still it is my gripe with eReader called Amazon Kindle.

So I was remembering the days that I would carry around 2 or 3 books in my giant purse. I no longer do that. I might bring a book with me on occasion as I still do read them but usually they stay at home for home time reading and the Kindle is the only "book" that I have in my purse. I also am listening to audios in the last 2 years and that increased my reading 50-75%. My reading method has changed quite a bit during my time at Goodreads. I look back and kind of miss my paperback time but maybe I just miss my eyesight in reality.

message 14: by Mackenzie (new)

Mackenzie | 22 comments I have always loved paperback books! there is something about the pages and the smell of a paperback book. Haha! When I was in high school I would say I would only ever read paperback books, you'll never catch me dead with a kindle or eBook. Well what I liar I am! I got a kindle last year over the summer, and I have found I am able to read a lot more due to the cheaper prices. I am a college student so most of my money goes to pay for college texts books and classes - as well as the necessities (bills, food, gas, etc). Its been a great benefit for me. Last year I was able to read tons of books! It was wonderful! At this point in my life I would not be able to buy a paper back book very often. I usually try to get the free eBooks or on sale ones. I am not sure if the library in town contains all the books presented for the BOM either. I have been down there a few times looking for a specific book to find out they don't have it. But doesn't mean the library is not worth trying out!
I guess I like being able to have either option of paper back or eBook. I think it is helpful when times get busy and one cant always make it to the book store or the library.

message 15: by Bunnycore (new)

Bunnycore | 18 comments I have a kindle as well Mackenzie, I just started using it frequently last year but it's mostly for books i can't find in print. I buy used, so I noticed unless ebooks are on sale for .99 cents then they're usually the same price in print for me. I still use my kindle but I can't turn my paperbacks away. It's like a weird compulsion for me. In the end, I'm still a paperback girl with a little side love of kindle. I'm looking to upgrade my kindle for that fact alone.

message 16: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 09, 2018 07:04PM) (new)

My library has a lot of Overdrive borrows in Kindle format, actually almost all of the book are available in Kindle format. Every once in a while it is only available in Adobe epub or pdf with dmr, which I can use my browser to read on a tablet. If you are trying to save money, definitely look into the libraries.

The Overdrive webpage is pretty easy, you put your library card number and library in and it takes you to their selections. You might have a hold period but if available, you choose Kindle and it takes you to the Amazon page for the book and says "borrow book" or switch accounts. I always try to already be signed in to my account. Then it is in your library. You have to read it in the time period your library has, 3 weeks usually. There is also One Click Digital and Hoopla, I use Hoople for audio and find that One Click just doesn't have as good a selection for me.

You have to watch out for the 99 cent sale books as you easily click on it and then after a little bit you have 20 books that you might, if you are lucky, read 1. I now think hard about the sales. I don't want to miss out and yet so happy I got some of the compilations as I've found novellas from series I later read in them, but... I now try to curb any I don't recognize any authors.

I love when my paperbacks go on sale in Kindle format though. Whenever I see a series I love and one of their books are one sale, I snap it up for re-read.

message 17: by Adele, Moderator (new)

I buy a lot of cheap books from Ebay, you can also buy boxes of books on there. however if you buy a box just be careful its got books you would read and that it has a pic of all the books in it. If its just a pic of the box, i usually pass it by as you have no idea what your going to get!

I'm unemployed so i understand the need to save money for important things like bills and food. The budget really doesnt allow for books but when it does i search clearance racks at bookstores, ebay bulk books, and specials on google play and amazon.

I have an android tablet which allows me to have the kindle app as well as being able to use google play as well as upload any I've received from smashwords or netgalley.
So basically when i have money i buy books and when i don't i find the Google play/Amazon/smashwords/netgalley free ones.

I also use overdrive and borrowbox, as they are both attached to my local library so im able to borrow from them.
I have a crappy local library... which does not have a great rangeand has incomplete series books as well as not having popular books unavailable (as in not in system unavailable not the already borrowed unavailable ). so overdrive and borrow box have a slightly better range than the physical library.
i must see if i can sign up with other libraries in different councils... to the best of my knowledge, the libraries will only let you sign up, if your address is in their council range. which is also crap. but it might have changed in the last few years so wish me luck!

message 18: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammyo73) | 66 comments I love collecting both books and ebooks. I especially love to find free ebooks. I haven’t been to the library in some time cause plenty to find and borrow from family and friends.

message 19: by Adele, Moderator (last edited Jan 12, 2018 07:15PM) (new)

That is so true... but im terrible... i hate lending my friends books. I have a terrible memory and the last time i let my family borrow books from me...i didnt get them back until YEARS later..and i only got them back cause they were doing a clearout of the bookshelf and were giving away books. (Thankfully i got first pick and found my books too). But it has given me a distrust in lending out my books. So i avoid if possible.

message 20: by Tammy (new)

Tammy (tammyo73) | 66 comments Yes, that would stop me from lending again!

message 21: by Adele, Moderator (new)

It has just given me a distrust in lending. And an anxiety when borrowing... if i have borrowed from a friend i give updates on how i'm finding the book as well as a possible return of the book... its the least is can do!

message 22: by Amyiw, Challenges Moderator (last edited Jan 13, 2018 05:40PM) (new)

Most books I would be alright with lending for good. Only my favorites would be a problem, and I replace them if I lend them out, not even expecting them back. I've bought the trilogy format of Mercy Thompson several times. It is getting harder to find it so, I just don't lend them.
Preying For Mercy (Mercy Thompson, #1-3) by Patricia Briggs & Alpha & Omega Call of the Hunt (Alpha & Omega, #0.5-3) by Patricia Briggs
I have those series all in hardcover and the first three only come in this bookclub edition.