Great Middle Grade Reads discussion

The War That Saved My Life (The War That Saved My Life, #1)
This topic is about The War That Saved My Life
ARCHIVE - BOTM discussions > Book of the Month for June (2) THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jemima (new) - added it

Jemima Pett | 1282 comments Mod
As explained elsewhere, we have two books of the month for June and you can read either or both, as you choose. These are books we considered as possible future classics, in case you've forgotten the theme.

So, get your copy, have a good read, and post your comments here (using the 'spoiler' tag if you give any plot points away).

In this post please talk about THE WAR THAT SAVED MY LIFE

The War that Saved My Life by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

message 2: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
I read this a few months back and liked it. I'm looking forward to seeing what others think!

Angie (angiebayne) This is one of my favorite books I read last year. I have been recommending it like crazy. I think it was robbed of the Newbery. So good!

Ruth Wilson | 25 comments I enjoyed this book very much. I don't mean it as a criticism, but it fits within a very familiar home-front war story sort of structure. As an older reader, I think it looses some of its impact because of it, but for young readers, it will be a revelation!

message 5: by Jemima (new) - added it

I hope we've got a few more people reading this after the tie in the poll - lots of people are commenting on the other book!

Molly Picardi | 2 comments I agree with Angie, total Newbery rob! I loved this book and read it in a graduate level Children's Literature course. I thought it was absolutely magnificent.

message 7: by Jim (new)

Jim Westcott (jimwestcott) | 25 comments I have to hurry up and read it! Looks great!

Sandy | 15 comments Started this book just after midnight, read until I couldn't keep my eyes open and then finished it this morning. Lovely book about love, patience, and courage. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Sarah | 11 comments Loved it! Could not put it down. Having taught children coming from abusive backgrounds, I looked at Ada with such sympathy. She felt like such a REAL character. I know this story will haunt me.

Leeann | 8 comments I have to agree. I loved it too. It made me feel all the feels! Lol. I loved Mrs. Smith SO much!!

message 11: by Jemima (new) - added it

This certainly gets the best comments I've seen on our books so far!

message 12: by Rebecca (new) - added it

Rebecca Douglass (rdouglass) | 1668 comments Mod
Glad to see others liked it as much as I did.

Maureen Tully (mtully) | 1 comments An outstanding book in every way - masterful writing, memorable characters, engaging plot. My new favorite book!

Angie (angiebayne) I have probably given this book to a dozen people and they have all loved it and recommended it to others. I actually had to buy another copy for the library because it had so many requests.