SFF180 presents the Virga Readalong! discussion

Book 2: QUEEN OF CANDESCE discussion

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Thomas (new)

Thomas Wagner (sff180) | 7 comments Mod
This thread is for open discussion of QUEEN OF CANDESCE, the second VIRGA adventure. What are your thoughts on the new direction Schroeder has taken the story?

message 2: by フッセル「リナード」 (last edited Jun 26, 2016 06:40AM) (new)

フッセル「リナード」 | 2 comments A thing that perplexed me a bit about a detail in Queen of Candesce was how the connection between "Small Spire" and "Big Spire" (sorry if those aren't the correct terms, but I read the german translation of the second book). I would assume given that they have elevators that go to Small Spire and there are in general cables that connect the two, they would rotate with the same RPM. And because of that the gravity would be lower in Small Spire.

So what got me a bit confused was at the beginning of Chapter 4 where Venera asks Odess about the upcoming trip to Small Spire to get some "beneficial deals for Liris", the topic about the cloths come on:

They already wear heavy stuff down in Liris to compensate for the lack of high gravitiy, yet they will change in lighter robes up in Small Spire where there should be even less gravity.

Shouldnt't it be the other way around, that especially in Small Spire, they would wear heavy armor to compensate for the low gravity?

message 3: by Karl (new)

Karl Schroeder | 12 comments Lesser Spyre is a "geared town" which is exactly what it sounds like. Picture a set of gears turning against one another, only in this case just touching along their edges. Each gear is about two kilometers in diameter. The gearwork is all ultimately connected to a central rod that runs the length of Spyre.

Each "gear" is a town wheel, with houses and factories and schools on its inside surface. The cables that rise up from Greater Spyre don't connect directly to the spinning gears, but rather to platforms and catwalks and cages that I describe somewhere as a "great knot" in freefall.

Very confusing, I know! Confusing to describe, but very much like a piece of clockwork to imagine. To get into Lesser Spyre our characters rise up the cable-ways to the knot, then descend into the gears, which turn at different speeds. You can think of the descending stairways and elevators as being like the staircases in Hogwarts, in the Harry Potter stories; they move. But I wouldn't try to form a perfectly clear picture of this place, rather, I was going for an impressionistic portrait of a clockwork city suspended above the ancient crumbled estates of Greater Spyre. It's this impression of colossal gearwork that you should keep in mind.

message 4: by Marc (new)

Marc | 12 comments I had my quibbles about Book 1, though I thought it ended strongly - but I am really loving Book 2 - Venera's development and being more flushed out as a character and the Alice in Wonderland like world she find herself in - this is going to be a very quick read for me...

message 5: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (crflamesfan) Well that was interesting. I can't decide if I dislike or like Venera Fannning. What I am finding is that she seems to be growing as a character, but how will that turn out? The world building is awesome, now that I understand and can visualize it. Can't wait to start the next book.

message 6: by Frank (new)

Frank | 3 comments Marc wrote: "I had my quibbles about Book 1, though I thought it ended strongly - but I am really loving Book 2 - Venera's development and being more flushed out as a character and the Alice in Wonderland like ..."

Marc I agree with you with regards to Venera, I enjoyed the expansion of the character, and the further world building in book two. Went thru it quite quickly last week.

message 7: by Marc (new)

Marc | 12 comments I finished up the book last night - really liked it - as I said earlier, it started with an almost Alice in Wonderland survey of this culturally strange, archaic world and then slowly turns into a political drama - I'm glad the book stayed on Spyre almost the entire time. It's best when it focuses on flushing out characters and cultural details. i look forward to reading more of the author down the road...

message 8: by Marc (new)

Marc | 12 comments I wanted to suggest that if you like the series, leave a review on amazon - this particular digital version with the first two books only has a few reviews, though the individual paperbacks have more...

message 9: by Kate (new)

Kate | 2 comments I have finished both books now and while I liked the first, I really, really enjoyed this second one. Venera had some true character development and the world building, political machinations and action were all satisfying. I particularly loved the part about the bullet and her discovery of its origin.

message 10: by Mustardseeds (new)

Mustardseeds | 4 comments I just finished the book. I liked it more than the first, which I liked but didn't love. I'm defintely reading the rest of the series, though that may have to wait - I'm back at work next week.