Catholic Thought discussion

Amoris laetitia: On Love in the Family
This topic is about Amoris laetitia
Amoris Laetitia > Amoris Laetitia Chapter 4

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan Margaret (susanmargaretg) | 538 comments Question for chapter four, from the study guide, (The Joy of Love” published by The Word Among Us Press, 2016) to help with your reading:

"Love is patient" (1 Corinthians 13:4). Our love should resemble God's patience: showing mercy, being slow to anger, and accepting others as they are, even when they act differently than we would like (89-92). How do you experience both giving and receiving this kind of patient, accepting love in your family? What helps you to grow in patience with your loved ones?

Irene | 909 comments I thought this chapter's description of love was a beautiful meditation. I am far from living out this virtue, Actually, as I was reading this chapter I had a number of people flash in front of me and became aware of how poor my attitude is to them. I like to think that I "love my neighbor" because I don't actively violate them. But, after reading this chapter, I realize that I really do not love them. I have lots of work to do on myself.

Galicius | 460 comments I don’t find a great deal of anything new in this chapter, though it was promised earlier that it should be of interest to married people. Sure it’s nice to hear basic tenets of what makes for good relationships but it’s not much more than what you would hear in Psychology 101 at a good university. (If you are interested audit Yale Psychology 110 available on line for free.) It’s all nicely worded with all the basic ingredients, all the good advice, and it works as an affirmation of what we already know, and as that it is good to hear it again as a reinforcement of what we should be practicing in a good marriage and family.

Curiously the pope mentions a Danish film “Babette’s Feast”(1987) (Par 129). He quotes a comment a cook receives in gratitude for the dinner she prepared: “Ah, how you will delight the angels”. I am familiar with this film but the moment that stuck in my mind was quite different. A cage of little birds is delivered to the kitchen for preparing as food for the guests. The scene and the casual delight the guests later showed in picking the little bones of the cooked birds they were consuming horrified me.

Kerstin | 1424 comments Mod
This was a great chapter full of practical application. Especially the first sub-chapter "Our Daily Love" could be read on its own.

It is a great meditation, and more. Pope Francis has a real gift of presenting the Christian faith in ways that make it immediate and applicable to every day life. For as much as I love digging into deeper texts such as Joseph Ratzinger/Pope Benedict XVI or Pope John Paul II, I have a real appreciation for Pope Francis' ability to bring the message close to home without simplifying.

I could see this sub-chapter being used on the parish level as a workshop on human interaction, as a brief and concise guideline to identify the less-than-loving behavior patterns we often fall into and how to overcome them. Or even having booklets at hand in the confessional to be given out as needed.

Irene | 909 comments I love the idea of using this chapter as a basis for an examination of conscience, hand-outs available for those preparing for the Sacrament of Penance. Maybe I should try to create something like this for my parish.

Susie | 76 comments I agree with all the the comments...I too really liked the first part, Our Daily Love...yes...excellent for reflection and meditation...something I plan to revisit often!
It definitely brought me some clarity about where I have/am falling short, even though I had rationalized some of my actions to be ok.

Pope Francis has a wonderful way about him...bringing some harsh truths to light, but by reflecting Christ's loving light upon us...it is truly illuminating! (I know...bad pun here, but true!)