Historical Fictionistas discussion

Recommendations? > HF centered on veterans

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Glenn (new)

Glenn B Miller (glennbmiller) | 1 comments I'm looking for recommendations of stories/books with US military veteran protagonist/antagonists. WW2 - Vietnam era. Thanks in advance!

message 2: by Rick (new)

Rick DeStefanis | 21 comments Glenn,
I humbly offer my Vietnam fiction www.rickdestefanis.com. Otherwise, there is quite a bit available, and some novels are excellent, while others leave much to be desired. "The Things They Carried" by Tim O'Brien is very good, "Gentle Propositions" by JS Economos is pretty good. On the other hand, I've also found some highly acclaimed novels lacking in some way. Most of these suffer from either plausibility or over-embellishment issues i.e. Oliver Stone's "Platoon." If you would like a Kindle copy of one of my novels to read and review, let me know. The Gomorrah Principle by Rick DeStefanis

message 3: by BarbaraAnn (last edited Jun 10, 2016 05:32PM) (new)

BarbaraAnn Glenn, i'm not sure this meets historical fiction criteria, but have you read:

As the Crow Dies by Ken Casper - this is the first book of a mystery series which starts when the MC comes home from the Vietnam war. If i remember correctly, the book is set in early 70's?