RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Pink and Say

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments This is such a great book for my classroom! I love the perspective in which this story is told. I would not use this book for historical purposes in the younger grades, however I would use this book to teach bravery, friendship, and how stories were passed down before the story was made into a book. The illustrations were very well done throughout this book. I will definitely buy this book.

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 9 comments Mod
Great points Nickole! Patricia can tell a story, can't she!!! Pink and Say is another nice example of a "picture book" for older students.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments "To be born a slave is a heap o' trouble, Say. But after Aylee taught me to read, even though he owned my person, I knew that nobody, ever, could really own me." Wow!

"Master Aylee showed him how paper talks. Show him, Pink." I love that!!!

Such a great way to share the legacy of Pinkus Aylee!

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "This is such a great book for my classroom! I love the perspective in which this story is told. I would not use this book for historical purposes in the younger grades, however I would use this boo..."

The teaching points you identified are great, and tie in so perfectly with this book!

message 5: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: ""To be born a slave is a heap o' trouble, Say. But after Aylee taught me to read, even though he owned my person, I knew that nobody, ever, could really own me." Wow!

"Master Aylee showed him how ..."

Thanks! I loved this quote as well! It is so powerful and shows how important literature is! (: