Play Book Tag discussion

The Dinner
This topic is about The Dinner
Archive: Other Books > The Dinner / Herman Koch. 3.75 stars

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

LibraryCin | 8340 comments 3.75 stars

Paul and Serge are brothers. Paul obviously does not much like Serge, who is running to become prime minister of the Netherlands. The polls have Serge as the likely winner. When they and their wives meet at a posh restaurant one evening to discuss something, their lives will never be the same as secrets come to the fore.

I had no expectations about this book, as I hadn't heard of it until we were to read it for my f2f book club. It took a bit to get going (and the food descriptions really didn't do anything for me), but about half-way through, once we found out why they had all met for dinner, it got interesting! It certainly kept me wanting to read. I have to admit to not liking the ending (or maybe just not agreeing that that's how it should have ended?), but that second half really held my interest and brought up my rating (except for the end).

message 2: by Joi (new) - added it

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Hmm. This one pops up on my library as suggested because of the mystery thriller tag. From what it sounds like it may not be as much of a mystery thriller- maybe just a mystery?

Susie | 4488 comments Yes, not so much a thriller. I really enjoyed it.

LibraryCin | 8340 comments It kept me wanting to read, but I struggled and ultimately decided not to tag it with either thriller or suspense (though those are often the kinds of books that do keep me wanting to read like this one did.

I wouldn't call it a mystery, either.

The closest I thought about (but I still didn't tag it that way... though some have) was "psychological thriller", but I still didn't see it as a thriller. The psychology was definitely there.

Anita Pomerantz | 6437 comments I've been saying I'm going to read this one for so long it is becoming ridiculous. Glad to see you liked it. I really hope I get to it this year.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy | 8533 comments As you guys know, my reviews tend to be psychological, depending on the book. I don't know if my review translated from Shelfari, but I remember I had a lot of thoughts about this one. It's dark and complex. Not a mystery thriller, but psychologically provoking for sure. I would be curious to continue the discussion, once you've read it Anita. This one lends itself to a psychological review. I'm learning your taste, but I think you'd like it.

LibraryCin | 8340 comments Anita wrote: "I've been saying I'm going to read this one for so long it is becoming ridiculous. Glad to see you liked it. I really hope I get to it this year."

I also think it's one you might like, Anita.