David Estes Fans and YA Book Lovers Unite! discussion

Book Talk > Memorable Quotes

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daniel (last edited Jun 07, 2016 06:45PM) (new)

Daniel (pickyreader1) | 1925 comments I'm doing a project for music class where I'm montaging some of my favourite book quotes on a slideshow as I play my new composition.

I was digging around for quotes from books I read and liked, and these are some of the ones that resonate most with me.

“There is a price to pay for pushing beyond everyone else’s answers. And what I’m finding out is that I’m more than willing to pay it.”
―Matthew Quick, Every Exquisite Thing

“Let’s carpe the hell out of this diem.”
―Alexandra Bracken, The Darkest Minds

“They make decisions; they mold your future. The trick is to find a way to still be you through it all.”
―Sara Raasch, Snow Like Ashes

“Sometimes you think you know things, know things very deeply, only to realize you don’t know a damn thing.”
―Jandy Nelson, I'll Give You The Sun

“Well, that’s growing up, isn’t it?” my dad said. “You don’t always have to know. And things aren’t always fair. You just have to keep moving forward. A step in one direction.”
― Robin Benway, Emmy & Oliver

“Maybe growing up means disappointing the people we love.”
― Nicola Yoon, Everything, Everything

“A person can be educated and still be stupid, and a wise man can have no education at all.”
― Jennifer A. Nielsen, The False Prince

“There are three parts to learning: information, knowledge and wisdom, A mere accumulation of information is not knowledge, and a treasure of knowledge is not in itself, wisdom.”
― Rachel Caine, Ink and Bone

“I'm not saying that everything is survivable. Just that everything except the last thing is.”
― John Green, Paper Towns

“Sometimes, you do things and you do them not because you're thinking but because you're feeling. Because you're feeling too much. And you can't always control the things you do when you're feeling too much.”
― Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

“Once in a while our school has half days, and the teachers spend the afternoon 'in service,' which I think must be a group therapy for having to deal with us.”
― Neal Shusterman, Bruiser

“Eleanor was right. She never looked nice. She looked like art, and art wasn't supposed to look nice; it was supposed to make you feel something.”
― Rainbow Rowell, Eleanor & Park

“If my life is going to mean anything, I have to live it myself.”
― Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief

“There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind.”
― C.S. Lewis

Do some of these quotes mean something to you? What are your favourite quotes from books you've read? Feel free to keep adding quotes as you discover new books. I thought this would be an interesting topic to explore.

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Love this topic!!

You have a few in there that I need to save as favorites, Daniel! Especially the carpe diem one and the one from The False Prince!

Here are a few of my favorites:

“I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

“I can't wait till I have grandchildren. When I was younger, I had to walk to the rim of a crater. Uphill! In an EVA suit! On Mars, ya little shit! Ya hear me? Mars!”
― Andy Weir, The Martian

“Ignorance is the worst plague of all, a form of blindness that destroys the hearts of the people who hide behind it.”
― David Estes, Brew

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
― Albert Einstein

“Books are the perfect entertainment: no commercials, no batteries, hours of enjoyment for each dollar spent. What I wonder is why everybody doesn't carry a book around for those inevitable dead spots in life.”
― Stephen King

“He used often to say there was only one Road; that it was like a great river: its springs were at every doorstep, and every path was its tributary. 'It's a dangerous business, Frodo, going out of your door,' he used to say. 'You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no knowing where you might be swept off to.”

“If they ever create an award for best conversationalist, let me know and I’ll apply. Until then, have a sip from my bottle of I-Don’t-Give-A-Crap and keep on walking.--Laney”
― David Estes, Boil

“Here’s to books, the cheapest vacation you can buy.”
― Charlaine Harris

“Not all those who wander are lost.”

message 3: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ | 738 comments Ooh I love this! Here are some of my favorite book quotes, and I'm sure I'll be back to post more. ;)

“She wasn't interested in telling other people's futures. She was interested in going out and finding her own.”
― Maggie Stiefvater, The Raven Boys

“In that moment, Blue was a little in love with all of them.
Their magic. Their quest. Their awfulness and strangeness.
Her raven boys.”
― Maggie Stiefvater, The Dream Thieves

“Tools are neither demonic nor divine. It’s all about who wields them.”
― Neal Shusterman, UnDivided

“... Facts never prevent the ignorant from jerking their knees into the groin of science.”
― Neal Shusterman, UnDivided

“I'd rather be partly great than entirely useless.”
― Neal Shusterman, Unwind

“You see, a conflict always begins with an issue - a difference of opinion, an argument. But by the time it turns into a war, the issue doesn't matter anymore, because now it's about one thing and one thing only: how much each side hates the other.”
― Neal Shusterman, Unwind

“I realize that death and survival are both extremes of selfishness.”
― Andrew Smith, The Alex Crow

“Be careful of love. It'll twist your brain around and leave you thinking up is down and right is wrong.”
― Rick Riordan, The Battle of the Labyrinth

“People see stories everywhere...We take random events and we put them together in a pattern so we can comfort ourselves with a story, no matter how much it obviously isn't true...We have to lie to ourselves to live. Otherwise, we'd go crazy.”
― Patrick Ness, More Than This

“And it seemed to me that Dante's face was a map of the world. A world without any darkness.

Wow, a world without darkness. How beautiful was that?”
― Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe

“Joey told me nothing ever goes back exactly the way it was, that things expand and contract- like breathing, but you could never fill your lungs up with the same air twice.”
― Andrew Smith, Winger

“That's what being shy feels like. Like my skin is too thin, the light too bright. Like the best place I could possibly be is in a tunnel far under the cool, dark earth. Someone asks me a question and I stare at them, empty-faced, my brain jammed up with how hard I'm trying to find something interesting to say. And in the end, all I can do is nod or shrug, because the light of their eyes looking at me, waiting for me, is just too much to take. And then it's over and there's one more person in the world who thinks I'm a complete and total waste of space.
The worst thing is the stupid hopefulness. Every new party, every new bunch of people, and I start thinking that maybe this is my chance. That I'm going to be normal this time. A new leaf. A fresh start. But then I find myself at the party, thinking, Oh, yeah. This again.
So I stand on the edge of things, crossing my fingers, praying nobody will try to look me in the eye. And the good thing is, they usually don't.”
― Carol Rifka Brunt, Tell the Wolves I'm Home

“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

“Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are.”
― Markus Zusak, I Am the Messenger

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

“Oh." Dad frowns. "Why hasn't Annabel been teaching you how to walk in heels? I thought we had an agreement: I teach you how to be cool and she trains you how to be a girl."

I stare at him in silence. This explains so much.”
― Holly Smale, Geek Girl
“The internet lied to me?”
― Holly Smale, Geek Girl
“Fear can't hurt you," she said. "When it washes over you, give it no power. It's a snake with no venom. Remember that. That knowledge can save you.”
“I know you aren't perfect. But it's a person's imperfections that make them perfect for someone else.”
― Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door
“And if I'm the stars, Cricket Bell is entire galaxies.”
― Stephanie Perkins, Lola and the Boy Next Door
“Wow," Thalia muttered. "Apollo is hot."
"He's the sun god," I said.
"That's not what I meant.”
― Rick Riordan, The Titan's Curse
“I never gossip. I observe. And then relay my observations to practically everyone.”
― Gail Carriger, Timeless
¨“I have died and gone to the land of bad novels.”
― Gail Carriger, Blameless
“Fate is like a strange, unpopular restaurant filled with odd little waiters who bring you things you never asked for and don't always like.”
“We are surrounded by so many books, so many words, so many thoughts... and not a single one can help us. I think, What's the point of all magic, if no one really knows how to use it? But I guess the same could be said about life.”
― David Levithan, Invisibility
“I know there are epic tales of romance, where love means you're supposed to die. Where it's all about sacrifice. But I don't want to die. I don't want Stephen to die. I'm looking for the scenario where we both get to live. Where we can continue this marvel that is love and discovery and trust.”
― David Levithan, Invisibility
“News flash," he says. "I'm gay, not a witch. Gay and witch is Dumbedore, and last time I checked, he was still just a guy in a book.”
― Andrea Cremer, Invisibility
“You see, things being good has nothing to do with how you feel outside, it is all to do with how you are inside.”
― Helen Fielding, Mad About the Boy
“I made my excuses and left, thinking, really, after a certain age, people are just going to do what they're going to do and you're either going to accept them as they are or you're not.”
― Helen Fielding, Mad About the Boy
“Don't stop doing what you love.
Don't let your future be ruined by a bunch of loony sand monkeys.”
― Megan McCafferty, Second Helpings
“Doors are for people with no imagination.”
― Derek Landy, Skulduggery Pleasant
“The world is bigger than you know, and scarier than you might imagine. The only currency worth anything is being true to yourself, and the only goal worth seeking is finding out who you truly are.”
“And what about magic?”
“What about it?”
“Will you teach me?”
“You don’t even know if you’re capable of doing magic.”
“How do I find out? Is there a test or something?”
“Yes, we cut off your head. If it grows back, you can do magic.”

message 5: by David, Mr. Blue Eyes; He's the Best--Ain't no lie!! ;) (new)

David Estes (davidestesbooks) | 10713 comments Mod
Great topic and SO MANY great quotes so far. I had a blast reading through them and reminiscing.

message 6: by Donna (new)

Donna (bookdragongirl) I think we can agree that this is an awesome topic! I didn't have too much time, but these are a few that I love.

The twilight holds as many truths as the dawn, perhaps more, since they are less easily perceived. Tithe by Holly Black

"Only through our positive thinking and actions do we become strong. Even the weakest person in the world can become the strongest in their own mind.” Slip by David Estes

Since being brought to this world, I’ve come to understand that everything I’ve ever learned about good and evil, about the choices we make and the choices we must live with, have been nothing more than convenient fictions invented by those who have never been confronted by the darkness and actually forced to choose. Unhooked by Lisa Maxwell

Be brave, truthful, and unselfish, and always strive to make the right choices, for you and for your loved ones. That’s all it means to be real, child, no matter who you are or what situation you are in. Do those things, and you’ll be as real as anyone. Strings by David Estes

Our strings tie us down, restrict us, force us to live a life we never wanted, a life we think we have to live, one we never chose for ourselves. But all strings, whether invisible or as clear as the tumbling spill of a waterfall, can be cut. Strings by David Estes

For Blue, there was family —which had never been about blood relation at 300 Fox Way —and then there was everyone else. When the boys came to her house, they stopped being everyone else. The Dream Thieves by Maggie Stiefvater

Karen’s Library | 11320 comments Mod
Wow, so many great quotes here! I need to spend the weekend adding lots of these to My Quotes!!

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Bump