RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Smoky Night

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I have never read this book before, but I liked it. It has a little bit of history in the book, but not so much so that younger children can enjoy. I liked the lesson that this book portrays about not judging people by the way they appear to look or where they come from. This is very important for our students to learn as they meet new people. I think that this book would be better for the upper elementary grades so you can have the students talk about how we should treat others, be helpful community members, and how to be respectful of people from different cultures.

-Nickole Castillo

message 2: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I was born in Los Angeles. My father was a police officer for the Los Angeles Police Department. Not long after I was born, almost my entire extended family moved to Arkansas. I was in the 2nd grade when the Los Angeles riots were happening, and I will never forget overhearing a conversation between my mom and dad one night while they watched the news. My mom said, "this is why we left."

Learning lessons about community and compassion through a book is a lot easier than having to learn through personal experience. I think it is powerful for children to be exposed to stories of racial reconciliation from an early age!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I have never read this book before, but I liked it. It has a little bit of history in the book, but not so much so that younger children can enjoy. I liked the lesson that this book portrays about ..."

I agree that upper elementary grades would make an appropriate audience for this book. It could be used to transition into great discussions as well!

message 4: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Kimberly wrote: "I was born in Los Angeles. My father was a police officer for the Los Angeles Police Department. Not long after I was born, almost my entire extended family moved to Arkansas. I was in the 2nd grad..."

I agree Kimberly, exposing children to stories of racial reconciliation at an early age can be powerful.