Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette by Hampton Sides - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leah (new)

Leah K (uberbutter) | 89 comments In the Kingdom of Ice The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeannette by Hampton Sides

In the Kingdom of Ice: The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette by Hampton Sides
489 pages

★★★★

This is a fairly popular non-fiction book so I don’t feel like I really need to tell you what it’s about but if you do need to know, the subtitle explains it - The Grand and Terrible Polar Voyage of the USS Jeanette. I’ve heard or read of several travels to reach the North or South Pole but until this book came out I have to admit I had never heard of this tragic story. And as morbid as it sounds, I very much enjoy non-fiction that contains tragedy.

I really enjoyed this book. It took me a bit to get into this story but once I did, I had trouble putting it down. It led to many late nights that my toddler didn’t seem to care about and insisted on still waking up early. As is common with Hampton Sides, the writing is amazing. It’s smooth and exciting, doesn’t feel like you’re reading a history book at all. It’s well researched. Definitely worth the read. This isn’t the first book I’ve read by the author and certainly won’t be the last.

(As a side note, Mr. Sides came to my library last year to discuss this book and I missed it. Totally bummed me out)

message 2: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments I just finished this today! I listened to it. Also loved it.