The Sword and Laser discussion

Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #257 - Shakespeare Was a Genre Writer

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1666 comments Mod
You may be surprised to learn Gillian Anderson's role in American Gods. You may be surprised that China did not previously have official SciFi awards. But you should not be surprised at all to think of Shakespeare as an SFF author.

http://swordandlaser.com/home/2016/6/...
https://www.patreon.com/posts/5739535

message 2: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments Winds of Winter as an experimental serial novel would be kinda awesome.

message 3: by terpkristin (last edited Jun 07, 2016 07:54PM) (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments I regularly listen to a podcast (called Good Job Brain) that has a section of the show called "Um, actually..." with corrections from listeners (it's a trivia show). I felt like the entire first part of this episode needed one of those.

I hope V has gastro-esophageal reflux disease/disorder, because Pepcid wouldn't do much for gastro-intestinal disorder (wrong side of the stomach). Also, I highly recommend the Sawbones podcast (@sawbones) on vinegar, as well as the entire episode about heartburn. Vinegar: http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sa... , heartburn: http://www.maximumfun.org/sawbones/sa... . I also hope that she's feeling better because constant heartburn sucks.

DC being the third most reading city I can believe, but AOL is actually ~28 miles west of DC as the car drives, in Dulles/Ashburn (6.5 car miles from where I type this!). (Side note, this relates to a huge pet peeve of mine when people say that IAD is in DC, as it's almost due south of AOL and ~26 miles west of the city. Even pilots say "Welcome to DC" when they land there, drives me nuts!!!)

I'm not entirely surprised by Seattle being on the most-reading list but am a little by Portland and SF, as both of those cities have big independent bookstores that if I lived in those places, I'd frequent more than Amazon.

Even with my predilection to "um actually," I thought this was a good, fun episode, much improved over the last one (which I did not particularly like, as it felt like a fancast of a fancast). Great show, and I'm stoked about the pick this month!!!

message 4: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments terpkristin wrote: "(Side note, this relates to a huge pet peeve of mine when people say that IAD is in DC, as it's almost due south of AOL and ~26 miles west of the city. Even pilots say "Welcome to DC" when they land there, drives me nuts!!!)"

That's probably something you'll need to let go of. I'm guessing half the airports aren't anywhere near their designator city. DFW isn't in either Dallas or Fort Worth. ATL is actually south of Atlanta, Dayton's airport is north of the city in Vandalia, and Cincinnati's isn't even in Ohio.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments In most of those cases, though, there isn't another (majoring) airport in the city they're saying. There is one in DC (DCA which ick). When people fly into BWI they don't say welcome to DC, and it's only a little farther (~5 miles) north of DC as IAD is west. But yes, it's not going to change.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments Re: the podcast... I listened, I learned.

Veronica, if you have GERD, you might want to lay off the alcohol for a few months. I know for drinkers that sounds like an insane amount of time, but you need a good 6-8 weeks minimum to rule it out as a cause or contributing factor. Preferably longer.

I know some people really like that ol' demon booze, but better to stop before your throat collapses and you don't get to do anything fun, like eat or breathe.

I was having heartburn issues a few years ago and nothing helped. Turned out it was a bleeding ulcer that came within hours of killing me. It was caught at almost the literal last minute. Prepping for the scope procedure was the worst (the procedure itself was easy-peasy), but they found the ulcer. (And also the fact I've had Crohn's Disease for more than 40 years, which answered a LOT of questions.)

All of that to say you shouldn't rule out more serious things. Or maybe it's just too much taco truck food. Toss up. But don't ignore it, hoping it will go away.

message 7: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1276 comments As to the most well read list.

This could just be a list of cities which have lost their libraries and don't have any book shops left because Amazon killed them :-(.

Click bait!

message 8: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 878 comments Iain wrote: "This could just be a list of cities which have lost their libraries and don't have any book shops left because Amazon killed them"

I can assure you that is not the case in regards to Tucson, Ariz. There are 20 library branches within the city limits. I frequent one at least once a week. And, there is a very popular locally owned used book store with three locations in Tucson (six statewide).

message 9: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8198 comments Iain wrote: "As to the most well read list.

This could just be a list of cities which have lost their libraries and don't have any book shops left because Amazon killed them :-(.

Click bait!"

Hmm, snce Seattle is number one and has both a thriving bookstore population as well as superb public libraries, that supposition fails at first glance.

It probably has more to do with disposable income and spare time. I suspect a thriving arts + music scene plays into it, because a good portion of the cities listed are known for both.

message 10: by Nokomis.FL (new)

Nokomis.FL (nokomisfl) | 316 comments Dharmakirti wrote: "Winds of Winter as an experimental serial novel would be kinda awesome."

I am convinced that Martin has had the book finished for years, he just keeps shuffling the chapters and deck chairs.

message 11: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6127 comments You may want to check out Jamie Koufman's books on acid reflux. Here's a blog post about the 1970's law that made most canned and bottled food very acidic: http://www.refluxcookbookblog.com/201...

message 12: by Joe Informatico (new)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 888 comments I'm the first one to argue that genre labels are more about marketing than rigid boxes stories can objectively be slotted into. But if we're going to call any story with an adolescent protagonist "young adult", we have to go back and throw in the majority of epic fantasy of the last four decades.

(I once saw Dune on a list of "must-read YA" and thought, "come again?")

message 13: by Nathan (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments Ok, little Chinese lesson Veronica:

Liu is pronounced like Leo, the guy's name (more or less)

Ci is a bit harder. The closest English pronunciation is se with the e making a sound like the e in "bet". If you want someone saying it look here: https://resources.allsetlearning.com/...

xin is more like "Sheen" like Charley Sheen.

message 14: by Trike (last edited Jun 09, 2016 03:18PM) (new)

Trike | 8198 comments Nathan wrote: "Ok, little Chinese lesson Veronica:

Liu is pronounced like Leo, the guy's name (more or less)

Ci is a bit harder. The closest English pronunciation is se with the e making a sound like the e in "..."

How would you pronounce "Xing"?

In my head I say it with the sibilant Z sound: zhing.

message 15: by Nathan (last edited Jun 10, 2016 01:31PM) (new)

Nathan (tenebrous) | 377 comments If Xin is like "Sheen" then "Xing" is like "Sheeng", if that makes sense. X is always close to how sh is pronounced in English.

This is really basic, I could post something at length about this but it would only get confusing.

message 16: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 1147 comments Mod
You guys know Veronica has a doctor right?

message 17: by Tamahome (last edited Jun 14, 2016 10:08AM) (new)

Tamahome | 6127 comments Acid reflux is a weird area too that depends as much on healthy lifestyle as well as whatever medicine a doctor can prescribe ("the purple pill").

message 18: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments Acid reflux is the kraken in your stomach trying to escape.

message 19: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

I bet doctors still outperform Goodreads forums in treatment success though. It's just a guess. Could be wrong.

message 20: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3871 comments Time to get some cold water for that burn!

message 21: by Tamahome (new)

Tamahome | 6127 comments I wish her luck. My own experience with doctors hasn't been great. But if a doctor gives her a PPI pill to take for the rest of her life, maybe there's an alternative. Btw, Jamie Koufman is a doctor.

message 22: by Dara (new)

Dara (cmdrdara) | 2693 comments I'm pretty sure we're all doctors here, Tom.

message 23: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

He he. Nothing here but us doctors!

message 24: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Hmm I think a post was deleted because it made me think of the line in my house, "half of the doctors in the world graduated in the bottom half of their class."

But really, the important thing is, Tom, Ashburn/Dulles != Washington, DC. ;)

And everybody should listen to Sawbones. Sawbones is one of the few podcasts for me (S&L is another) that immediately moves to the top of the queue when a new episode comes out. It's hosted by Justin McElroy (previously from Joystiq, now at Polygon I think, also hosts My Brother, My Brother, And Me and some other shows including Sawbones at Max Fun) and his wife (who is a doctor) and is a fascinating look at weird things we've done as "medicine" in history. The heartburn and vinegar episodes seemed relevant for V since she mentioned both (kinda). But all the episodes are great. It's a really interesting show. :D :D

message 25: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

terpkristin wrote: "Hmm I think a post was deleted because it made me think of the line in my house, "half of the doctors in the world graduated in the bottom half of their class."

But really, the important thing is,..."

I still remember the AOL skyscraper on the shore in Arlington. Which is also not DC.

message 26: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4120 comments Tom wrote: "I still remember the AOL skyscraper on the shore in Arlington. Which is also not DC. "

Hmm can't say I knew that was there. But AOL was definitely on the back half of the curve when I moved to this area. ;)

I love the AOL offices here. Their "pedestrian crossing" signs are a the AIM logo dude walking across the street.