2-3-4 Challenge Book Discussions #1 discussion

The Last Mile (Amos Decker, #2)
This topic is about The Last Mile
The Last Mile > Question I

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 7625 comments Mod
It doesn't take long for Decker to deconstruct what happened the night Roy and Lucinda Mars were murdered. Why do you think the earlier investigation didn't reveal the plot holes?

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments They had the case handed to them, supposedly solved easily, and the jury convicted Mars. There was no reason to investigate a "solved" crime.

Decker's mind is truly amazing. As a reader, it took me some time to get on board with every twist and turn in this complex story. Who else could have stuck with it, who had a desire for "truth," and who had the photographic memory to process a computer's worth of observations?

Kris - My Novelesque Life (mynovelesquelife) | 563 comments Mod
I think once the police had their eye on Mars they didn't really look too deep into it. And once you are convicted it is SO difficult to get people to look at it again. Decker is definitely think out of the box type, and he can see other scenarios. Plus, have a memory like his you can put things into place better I would imagine.

Death penalty cases in most states other than Florida are provided extra resources by the state. It didn't take long for Decker to punch holes in the state's case so Mars' legal team didn't even try hard. Again, to sentence someone to death based solely on weak circumstantial evidence and virtually no motive speaks to bad lawyering.

Charlene (charlenethestickler) | 1379 comments Agreed. The whole case, from beginning to end, was a testament to a very faulty legal system.

I agree, Stephanie.

message 7: by Mary Beth (last edited Jul 16, 2016 08:22AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary Beth  | 193 comments I think that the earlier investigation was done very careless and lazy. I agree with Kris that they were thinking too much in the hox and not outside the box. Decker with his Memory skills, helped the investigation to go well.