RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Because of Winn Dixie

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments I think this is a great story for any age. Through Winn-Dixie Opal is able to experience a different life. Opal learns some valuable lessons about people and herself. As Opal learned more about herself she was able to help others as well. I think this is a great story to teach about judging people and how you never know what people have been through or are going through. I almost cried when I thought Winn-Dixie was gone and was so relieved when he was there at the house. Amazing how one dog helped to change so many people’s lives.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 9 comments Mod
Great response Victoria! I am not really a dog person, yet I want Winn - Dixie!
Have any of you seen the movie? In my humble opinion, the movie is not nearly as good as the book.

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments This is a wonderful story about making friends and accepting everyone. This story could aide in teaching life lessons.

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I agree Robyn and Victoria, this book is good for any age to teach the importance of friendships. I watched the movie and I totally cried when Winn Dixie went missing! ): I love how much Opal learns from Gloria and Otis. People can be so mean and not know anything about you, but Opal doesn't allow herself to be like that when she meets Gloria and Otis. I think this is something we should all strive for! (:

-Nickole

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I want to see the movie! I love how this book shares how life can be changed through just one encounter. Winn-Dixie introduced Opal to new experiences and relationships - so glad the preachers said yes to keeping him! Opal's relationship with Gloria Dump is one of my favorite parts of the book. Sometimes children have an uneasiness around older adults, and I loved how Opal was not only willing to befriend Gloria, but also was creative in thinking about a way to bless her (...by reading Gone With the Wind out loud to her). Thank goodness they found that dog!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "I think this is a great story for any age. Through Winn-Dixie Opal is able to experience a different life. Opal learns some valuable lessons about people and herself. As Opal learned more about her..."

It was touching to read about Opal's change of heart toward Amanda once she learned what happened to Carson. Getting to know people usually results in a completely different perspective of why they are they way they are.

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Nickole wrote: "I agree Robyn and Victoria, this book is good for any age to teach the importance of friendships. I watched the movie and I totally cried when Winn Dixie went missing! ): I love how much Opal learn..."

Reading about Otis's experience with the police made me so sad!