RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Bunnicula

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments A good book for students who may be interested in animals or mystery stories. I like how it is told from the dog's perspective. I also liked how the characters in the story promoted reading. Some of the things said were amusing. The fact that they thought the rabbit was a vampire at all was funny considering what rabbits eat. I think that may be why children enjoy it because it is told from the perspective of animals and it is silly yet still has an aspect of mystery. I definitely did not expect to like this book at all but it wasn’t as bad as the cover made it appear. This is one of those stories that makes you wonder what your animals do when you are asleep or gone. It may be fun for students to write a story from their pet's perspective.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (drld) | 9 comments Mod
Bunnicula is hugely popular with elementary age students. I used to read this book aloud every year to my 4th and 5th grade students. They absolutely loved it!
I like your writing idea Victoria!

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments I loved this story! Harold, the narrator of the story, is undeniably witty. Chester, the cat, is hilarious. It is a defiantly going to be a shared reading for my class. There are so many reading skills that be pulled from this story.

message 4: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Victoria,
I like your writing activity as well! This book reminds me of the kids movie that is coming out about what pets do when they are left home alone. I really liked this book and it will definitely be a book I add to my classroom library! I think I would read this aloud during Halloween time and find some fun activities to go along with the book.

-Nickole

message 5: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "I loved this story! Harold, the narrator of the story, is undeniably witty. Chester, the cat, is hilarious. It is a defiantly going to be a shared reading for my class. There are so many reading sk..."

I think using fun books like this allows students to become more invested in learning the necessary reading skills versus book work. I agree that this book easily allows you to create many lessons for reading skills.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Bunnicula was quite a bit different from I typically enjoy reading, but surprisingly enjoyable. I don't usually choose to read mysteries or stories with animals as the main characters, but they can be so entertaining. I pushed Harry Potter and the Twilight series away for years before finally giving in. I ended up loving them!

message 7: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "A good book for students who may be interested in animals or mystery stories. I like how it is told from the dog's perspective. I also liked how the characters in the story promoted reading. Some o..."

Chester was my favorite character in this story. I loved how Harold described him!

message 8: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "A good book for students who may be interested in animals or mystery stories. I like how it is told from the dog's perspective. I also liked how the characters in the story promoted reading. Some o..."

Victoria, I really like your idea of allowing reading to transition into an opportunity to write!

message 9: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Victoria wrote: "A good book for students who may be interested in animals or mystery stories. I like how it is told from the dog's perspective. I also liked how the characters in the story promoted reading. Some o..."

I also like the writing idea. I thought of making a poster for the missing bunny.