What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. 1970s or early 80s YA novel. Teenage girl is disappointed to spend the summer with her mother working for a rich family in their summer house as a maid/housekeeper/cook(?). Befriends daughter who seems snobby at first. [s]

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments A teenage girl is disappointed when she has to spend the summer with her mother working for a rich family in their summer home as a maid? housekeeper? cook? it might be a cook as I recall her creating fancy canapes for a party. She ends up befriending the daughter who she thinks is snobby at first. I think she also might have some sort of a summer romance. Was probably a Scholastic book club type book and I read it sometime between 1980 and 83 but it might have been written earlier.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalal) | 70 comments I just watched this ABC After School Special streaming somewhere a few weeks ago. I know Jennifer Jason Leigh was the daughter of the rich people. I can't remember anything else, but I will investigate.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lisalal) | 70 comments The After School Special was called "Have You Ever Been Ashamed of Your Parents?" I know a lot of those shows were based on books, so this might help.

message 4: by Juels (last edited Jun 07, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Juels | 2381 comments The Gift Horse by Sheila Hayes? Seems to be the book version of the tv show Lisa mentioned. Alternate title is The Carousel Horse.

message 5: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 2 comments Yes! That's it. When I read it it was called the Carousel Horse. Wanted to read it again to see if it was still good and I could suggest to my daughter. Thank you.

message 6: by Kris (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:30AM) (new)

Kris | 32312 comments Mod
Glad you found your book. I added a plot description to the topic header. This might help others looking for this book in the future.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gift Horse (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Sheila Hayes (other topics)