Beta Reader Group discussion

Authors Seeking FREE Betas > Football cookbook

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Michael (new)

Michael Sova (msova) | 8 comments I have written the first draft of a football-themed cookbook. As the title suggests, I give a new game day type recipe for every Sunday from Week 1 through the Super Bowl. I have a lot of what I hope is humorous NFL-related content as well. I think what I've done is marketable but I'd really love to get some feedback. The draft is only about 30,000 words so it's a pretty quick read. Please let me know if you'd be interested in giving it a look. You need to be a fan of football and football food or it won't have much appeal to you.

message 2: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments Hi Michael,

I am not your person - I know nothing of NFL and not much about cooking but I had to say - what a wonderful concept!
I wish you much luck, success and congratulate you for having such an entertaining idea.
I look forward to following your exciting journey to completion and hopefully, success!

message 3: by Michael (last edited Jun 07, 2016 01:45PM) (new)

Michael Sova (msova) | 8 comments Hi Zara,

Thank you for the well wishes. I realize the concept is a little out of the ordinary, maybe so much so that no one will be interested. I suppose time will tell. Football is a passion of mine and football food is just plain awesome. I thought it made sense to try to combine the two. If it doesn't work out, I'll just stick with novel writing. I published a thriller in early 2014 and my new suspense novel just came out a few days ago. I'm indie, though, so this is mostly a labor of love.

message 4: by Zara (new)

Thanks for responding.
So glad you are also a thriller writer. I am in a similar position. I also visit the FB page and blog of the successful indie thriller writer Russell Blake - he gives a lot of handy writing tips as well as selling his own books. Well worth a visit.
I do hope your innovative cook book idea is rewarded. Fantastic!

message 5: by Michael (new)

Michael Sova (msova) | 8 comments Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll check it out. Have you published any books?

message 6: by Zara (new)

The only stuff I published were some short stories. But I am hopeless at marketing which I am trying to look at now.

The advice is, that you probably have to devote as much time to studying and implementing marketing as doing the writing. They are not necessarily compatible skills but have to be mastered to be commercially viable. (Boo!)

Anyway, hope you keep cooking - literally and in an innovative sense.
Kindest.

message 7: by Michael (last edited Jun 08, 2016 03:33AM) (new)

Michael Sova (msova) | 8 comments That's the biggest challenge when it comes to indie authors. You have to be a good writer, agent, business manager, marketer, promoter, etc., etc. Not only am I lacking in a couple of those areas, I simply don't enjoy the business side as much. I know I'm not the only one that feels that way. You hear so much about writing and critique groups. Maybe some like-minded indie authors should start a promotion/marketing group. I can definitely see where something like that could have some real value.

message 8: by Zara (new)

Zara Deyn | 45 comments Totally agree.
I am trying to change my mind set (would help if I had much of a mind to begin with) so that my describing and promoting (selling) my stuff sounded really useful, entertaining or worthwhile.
But, I'm struggling.
I'd certainly save up for someone I could delegate the task to. I guess that's what the wealthy do - and, come to think of it, use ghost writers as well.
Like you, I just enjoy the creative side.
If I do come across anything useful, I'll let you know.
In the meantime, I wish you well.