Obsessed with True Crime discussion

Gregg Olsen
This topic is about Gregg Olsen
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive > July Author of the month Gregg Olsen

Comments Showing 1-41 of 41 (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jun 07, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Lady ♥ Belleza (bella_foxx) | 3348 comments Mod
Posting this now to give everyone time to get their books. If you have already read everything he has written, here are two options: re-read a favorite; read about a case he's written about by another author.

I realize that might be confusing to some. Just post if you don't understand and I'll try to clarify.

Also when looking up his books, he also writes fiction, so be careful.

message 2: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Who?

message 3: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "Who?"

Gregg Olsen, I had made the topic about him, but for some reason it didn't save.

message 4: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments I have read all of his Tc but his new one is out in July so will have to order it.

message 5: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Koren wrote: "I have read all of his Tc but his new one is out in July so will have to order it."

Koren: I haven't read many of his. Which ones do you recommend?

message 6: by Koren (last edited Jun 09, 2016 09:11AM) (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Shelley wrote: "Koren wrote: "I have read all of his Tc but his new one is out in July so will have to order it."

Koren: I haven't read many of his. Which ones do you recommend?"

Gregg Olsen is one of the few authors I have to have while they are still hot off the press. Except for the fiction. I've tried it but prefer the true stuff. My favorites are Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets. Still feel so sad for that little boy. If Loving You Is Wrong: The Shocking True Story of Mary Kay Letourneau, Remember this one? It was huge in the news at the time. A school teacher had an affair with her 14 year old student and went to jail for it. They later married and as far as I know they are still married. Also A Twisted Faith: A Minister's Obsession and the Murder That Destroyed a Church, which for me was made all the more interesting because I watched the 20/20 or whatever show it was on. Those are the ones I remember the best. There are also a whole slew of e-book shorts that he has out.

message 7: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

I recently purchased Abandoned Prayers: The Incredible True Story of Murder, Obsession and Amish Secrets for Kobo. It was on sale.

message 8: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Thanks, Koren. I think I will either start with Abandoned Prayers or one of his anthology ones.

message 9: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder is the book that is coming out in July.

message 10: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy If I Can't Have You Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children by Gregg Olsen
4 stars
This case has been all over the news so I knew a little about it before I started the book. Olsen and Morris did a good job of keeping this horrific story flowing, just wish it was not a dry read.
Research is there and I did find out a few things that I did not see on the news.
I found myself frustrated with the lack of urgency to get those boys away from their Monster Father Josh Powell before something horrible happen to them, which it did.

message 11: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder is the book that is coming out in July."

Just got my reordered copy in yesterday. I am almost done withMayflower: A Story of Courage, Community, and War so I will be getting to it soon.

message 12: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Just thought I'd let you know, if you read A Killing In Amish Country go to Amazon and post a review. There are only 3 reviews so far and 2 of them are from disgruntled people close to the killing that dont think someone should be profitting from the incident. I dont think they even read it.

message 13: by BAC (new)

BAC (bacagain) | 1 comments Koren wrote: "Just thought I'd let you know, if you read A Killing In Amish Country go to Amazon and post a review. There are only 3 reviews so far and 2 of them are from disgruntled people close to the killing ..."

I had already left Amish life by the time it happened but no one in the community has had a problem with people discussing or publishing about it. It's just one of those things in life that happens and GOd uses to a good thing in the end. People can be so unthinking when they try to white knight other people.

message 14: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Greg Olsen makes his living from his novels. People like that need to grow up.

message 15: by Shelley (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder 4 Stars.

Good book. The case was an interesting one but left me wondering if the whole truth came out. I really liked learning a bit about the Amish too. It's sad, though, that the tenets of a religion made this woman feel she had to stay in a very bad marriage. Just wrong.

message 16: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Shelley wrote: "Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder 4 Stars.

Good book. The case was an interesting one but left me wondering if the whole truth came out...."

Just got this book in the mail not even an hour ago so havent started it yet and I probably dont have a good picture of what is going on in this case, but just wanted to throw this out there: There are still women who stay in an abusive marriage and it doesnt have anything to do with their religion. Many stay because they dont have enough confidence to live on their own, fear poverty, stay together for the sake of the children...I'm sure there are many more reasons.

message 17: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Greg Olsen makes his living from his novels. People like that need to grow up."

True, Belleza. But these people think an author should not make a living from the pain of other people and they should be left to their own privacy. Discuss.

message 18: by Shelley (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:16AM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Koren wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder 4 Stars.

Good book. The case was an interesting one but left me wondering if the whole..."

I realize that but, in this case, she struggled with wanting to do what her religion taught her specifically when it came to marriage and her role. And her religious community did nothing to help her and they knew!

message 19: by Fishface (last edited Jul 13, 2016 09:17AM) (new)

Fishface | 11887 comments Koren wrote: "Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Greg Olsen makes his living from his novels. People like that need to grow up."

True, Belleza. But these people think an author should not make a living from the pain of oth..."

It seems to me that TC authors go to great pains not to write anything about anyone without getting releases of information and asking them what they want said in the resulting books. Look at Tom LoCicero's Murder in the Synagogue. The killer's family would have absolutely nothing to do with the project and he could have gone away mad, but instead he worked around it, talking to the killer's professors, friends, roommates and so on to construct his psychological autopsy. A more dinkweedy author might have taken liberties with his guesswork or even taken a few potshots at the family -- Freud was still the only name that mattered in psychology and that guy was all about mother-blaming -- but he stayed totally respectful towards the family. The book helps you understand how things went wrong without blaming anyone.

message 21: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Fishface wrote: "Koren wrote: "Lady♥Belleza★✰ wrote: "Greg Olsen makes his living from his novels. People like that need to grow up."

True, Belleza. But these people think an author should not make a living from t..."

True. Also I believe most of the things in a TC book are a matter of public record, anyway. These non-believers think that an author should not be profiting from someone else's misfortune. They think if a book is written the profits should be donated to the family. Hmmm, pretty unrealistic, in my opinion.

message 22: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Shelley wrote: "Koren wrote: "Shelley wrote: "Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder 4 Stars.

Good book. The case was an interesting one but left me wonderin..."

Started A Killing In Amish Country yesterday and I can see more about what you are talking about Shelley. It hasn't been that many years that abuse was swept under the rug and no one said anything. In the 70's I had a friend that was being sexually molested by her father and no one reported it. I found out years later that the town knew that he molested all of his daughters but no one said anything about it. My friend went to the school counselor and was told he didn't want to get involved.
At work the other day we were talking about a past resident who had a daughter who was impregnated by her father and committed suicide. The Amish live in the past so it doesn't surprise me that abuse would go unreported.

message 23: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments I cannot comprehend 60,000 Amish in a 2 county area. That seems like a lot.

message 24: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jul 22, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

message 25: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (last edited Jul 22, 2016 12:11PM) (new)

Just requested A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder from the library and checked out If I Can't Have You: Susan Powell, Her Mysterious Disappearance, and the Murder of Her Children. I'm trying to find Cruel Deception. There is a short story of the case in Southern Fried Crime and now I want to read the book.

message 26: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder. This was a fascinating look at the Amish lifestyle and one black sheep in the flock. I liked how the author put quotes from the murdered woman's diary at the beginning of each chapter. It gave us a better feel for who she was. I was sad that there were no pictures of her. Her religion forbade taking pictures so none exist. However, I did feel that half way through the book it got to be repetitive and there was quite a bit of word for word testimony at the trial, which was a yawn-er for me. So I cant quite give this book 5 stars. I think I will give it 4 stars.

message 27: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy A Killing in Amish Country Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder by Gregg Olsen
A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder
5 stars
This is a very upsetting and unsettling murder case. Barbara Weaver was murdered on June 2, 2009. Her Husband Eli is the prime suspect as well as one of his Girlfriends. The Authors did a wonderful job of not going overboard with nasty details but give a clear picture of the crime scene. Eli is clearly a man who wanted it all, the life style he grew up in and the life style he discovered via internet and having a cell phone. The Amish are a fascinating subject and this book does touch on the details of some of their beliefs but does not lose focus on the Murder case.

message 28: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

Koren wrote: "Finished A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder. This was a fascinating look at the Amish lifestyle and one black sheep in the flock. I liked how the a..."

Good review, looking forward to reading this.

message 29: by Lady ♥ Belleza, Gif Princesa (new)

SouthWestZippy wrote: "A Killing in Amish Country Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder by Gregg Olsen
A Killing in Amish Country: Sex, Betrayal, and a Cold-blooded Murder
5 stars
This is a very..."

Good review, looking forward to reading this.

message 30: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking there are quite a few books on Mormon crimes. When you read most TC books, no mention is made of what religion they are, but when you read a book about Amish or Mormon a big deal is made out of the religious aspect, with history of the religion. If a criminal is Lutheran or Catholic we don't get a history of those religions.

message 31: by Shelley (last edited Jul 28, 2016 12:13PM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking there are quite a few books on Mormon c..."

Funny you should mention this. I wonder the same thing. I am currently reading Under the Banner of Heaven: A Story of Violent Faith and it's about a crime in a Mormon community and the book does talk alot about the religion and it's history. I don't mind because it's all so interesting and so well written.

I think that in the case of the Amish, we (who aren't Amish) have this idea they are all peace loving gentle people. They are conscientious objectors when it comes to combat, live a simple life, etc. so when violence occurs it's more of a shock, I guess. The same is true with the Mormons but, for me at least, to a lesser extent.

Since religion plays such a big part in their lives and because many of us don't know much about the religions, the author may feel he/she has to give us background to frame the crime.

message 32: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking there are quite a few books on Mormon c..."

"Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime."

Yes

message 33: by SouthWestZippy (last edited Jul 30, 2016 04:29PM) (new)

SouthWestZippy Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking there are quite a few books on Mormon c..."

"If a criminal is Lutheran or Catholic we don't get a history of those religions."

Good point.

I just find things fascinating to read about that I have not grown up around or know very little about. Sometimes religion or belief system is mentioned and sometimes not. Still all fascinating.
I think you have read more into my review then should have been.

message 34: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments SouthWestZippy wrote: "Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking there are quite a few boo..."

Zippy, my question had nothing to do with your review. Just an observation I was thinking about while reading the book. If you look at my original post it was not written as a reply.

message 35: by SouthWestZippy (new)

SouthWestZippy Koren wrote: "SouthWestZippy wrote: "Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I am thinking th..."

Oh ok thank you for letting me know.
I hate how Goodreads is set up. I want my Shelfari back.

message 36: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments SouthWestZippy wrote: "Koren wrote: "SouthWestZippy wrote: "Koren wrote: "Question: Does the fact that there is so little crime among certain religions make it more fascinating when one of their flock commits a crime. I ..."

Agree. But it aint never gonna happen unless they are able to figure out how to give us a choice.

message 37: by K.A. (last edited Jul 29, 2016 07:08AM) (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments 'Under the Banner of Heaven', which I listened to twice on audio while travelling a few years ago, does go into quite a bit of detail about Mormonism, but I think there are two reasons for that: it's still not a mainstream religion in most parts of the country, so people need background in order to have some understanding of where people might be coming from and what their lives are like, and also that, in this case, a mistaken interpretation of that religion is what led directly to the murders. Granted, the killer(s) used it as an excuse, but readers need to understand HOW they managed to convince themselves, and others, that their religion was an excuse.

I think that holds true for other slightly less-mainstream religions as well. Most people have a general, if not specific, idea of what Lutheranism is about, because it's a mainstream branch of a very mainstream religion, the tenets of which permeate our lives, like it or not. So we don't need as much coverage of how and why the actors might believe and act the way they do. We don't need background to know that religion can't be used as an excuse.

message 38: by Koren (new)

Koren  (koren56) | 1361 comments K.A. wrote: "'Under the Banner of Heaven', which I listened to twice on audio while travelling a few years ago, does go into quite a bit of detail about Mormonism, but I think there are two reasons for that: it..."

K.A., I think we should clarify that Under The Banner of Heaven is about an offshoot of the Mormon church that still believes in polygamy, the FLDS. The regular Mormon church does not believe in polygamy and they are some of the finest people I have ever met.

message 39: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments Hmm. Yes, and no. I lived in Mormon communities for many years, and I agree with you that my neighbors were great people with fantastically supportive communities. I understand why people would want to be a part of that.

On the other hand, it's the developmental history of Mormonism that allowed the events in Under the Banner to occur at all. If you're looking for an interesting insider/outsider examination of the beginnings of Mormonism in the True Crime arena, I can recommend Blood of the Prophets: Brigham Young and the Massacre at Mountain Meadows very highly. It's a weighty tome, but an eye-opener, especially if you don't know much about Mountain Meadows.

message 40: by Shelley (last edited Jul 30, 2016 07:56AM) (new)

Shelley | 1225 comments Not knowing much about Mormonism or its history, it was hard for me to judge if the author was evenhanded or not. However, if only half of what he said happened and was only half as bad as he said, the birth and beginning of the Mormon religion was filled with lies, violence and deception. I have no doubt there are many good Mormon people. In fact I know there are. Just like any religion, or any group for that matter, you will have the good and the bad.

message 41: by K.A. (new)

K.A. Krisko (kakrisko) | 1264 comments Mountain Meadows was the original 911: September 11, 1857.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.