Laurie R. King Virtual Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived Housekeeping > Bouchercon 2016 - New Orleans

Comments Showing 1-50 of 69 (69 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by John (new)

John (jtb1951) | 549 comments Mod
Well the countdown clock to Bouchercon New Orleans is now under 100 days! I am getting excited, and am looking forward to seeing a large delegation of VBC members at B'con this year! As we get closer to the event I expect we will talk about coordinating any get-togethers. For the moment, however, let's just see who is planning on attending, who is registered, when you are attending.
I will arrive there (with my lovely bride) on Wednesday, Sept. 14 and stay through the following Wednesday.

message 2: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments I will be there, arriving on Monday and leaving the following Tuesday.

message 3: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
John wrote: "Well the countdown clock to Bouchercon New Orleans is now under 100 days! I am getting excited, and am looking forward to seeing a large delegation of VBC members at B'con this year! As we get clos..."

John, I'm arriving on Wednesday, September 14, as well, and leaving on Monday the 19th. Looking forward to it, also!

message 4: by Erin (new)

Erin (tangential1) | 1638 comments Mod
I'm coming in to the city on Saturday the 10th with some friends to play tourist before Bouchercon. I'll be officially in con mode and at the conference hotel on Wednesday the 14th and staying to Sunday.

Man, organizing a group dinner for everyone who is coming this year is going to be quite the challenge!

message 5: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments I'm flying in on Monday, the 12th, should be at the conference hotel around noon. Leaving the following Monday, the 19th, late afternoon. Marjorie and I have a group of FOLs and a few others going to Preservation Hall on Tuesday night, the 13th. Anybody who wants to join in, just let me know and I'll add you to the list. I'm only making a list so that I'll know who to notify or remind closer to the date. And, just because we want to go that night doesn't mean we can't go again while we're there, especially since some of my favorite people won't be there on Tuesday.

Erin, that dinner is going to be a challenge indeed!

message 6: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments I'm arriving on Tuesday, the 13th, and staying until Monday morning. I was thinking last night about it and contemplating doing something Wednesday that was more out of town/longer than an hour or two - like a river or swamp cruise or plantation tour. There's a plantation nearby which is the only one that is a slave museum - http://www.whitneyplantation.com/ although that might be a more emotionally challenging tour than people want.

Let's come up with some ideas for things to do - knowing ahead of time that not everyone will either want to do all of them or be able to do all of them - and see what kind of interest there is. Who is arranging the group dinner?

message 7: by Erin (new)

KarenB wrote: "Let's come up with some ideas for things to do - knowing ahead of time that not everyone will either want to do all of them or be able to do all of them - and see what kind of interest there is. Who is arranging the group dinner?"

I don't think anyone has taken the job of arranging dinner yet, Karen.

For things to do: How about a jazz river cruise dinner?? http://www.graylineneworleans.com/all...

message 8: by John (new)

I expect that organizing dinner with Laurie will have to wait until both the B'con schedule and Laurie's personal schedule are set; so not for a while yet. With opening ceremonies Thur night, Anthony Awards Fri night, and live auction Saturday night we might be challenged to get everyone possible together. Wednesday night usually works for everyone who has arrived a bit early so that might be our best bet for a non-Laurie gathering. With many of the folks adding days earlier or later we may have more opportunities for smaller group gatherings as well.

message 9: by Merrily (new)

Merrily | 1791 comments Mod
John wrote: "I expect that organizing dinner with Laurie will have to wait until both the B'con schedule and Laurie's personal schedule are set; so not for a while yet. With opening ceremonies Thur night, Antho..."

Hi all, I'd just second John's comment that we can't plan a dinner until we know what Laurie's schedule is, and we'll also most likely have to have a restaurant that a) takes reservations and b) is close to the hotel. This because we often have another event that folks are trying to get to afterwards, or Laurie does.
I've been to New Orleans often so personally am not viewing this as opportunity to "do" New Orleans, though I know those of you who plan that will have fun. From the Bouchercons I've been to, one is lucky to make it out of the hotel, LOL.
And I agree with FarmWifeTwo's list of good restaurants.

message 10: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments So far I have the following people from the FOLs going to Preservation Hall of Tuesday night: Me, Marjorie, Meredith, Karen, Lizanne, and Melody. Also, some of you know Kaye Wikinson Barley and Judy Bobalik who are signed up to go. There's no rush to sign up for this, but if you think you'd like to go, let me know, and I will touch base with you before we go to see if you're still going.

message 11: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Kathy, I missed the Preservation Hall do and would like to go as well. Is this something through Bouchercon or just the FOLs?

message 12: by Erin (new)

Dina, it's an "unofficial" dinner get-together that Kathy is organizing. Definitely not officially Bouchercon affiliated. Mostly FOLs attending, but not officially an FOL thing either.

message 13: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Well, count me in. Sounds wonderful!

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura Stratton | 240 comments I won't be in NOVA this year but maybe I can make it to a Bouchercon someday (spoken wistfully). I do have a question - is there an official "FOL" group or page? I seemed to miss that one

message 15: by Meredith (new)

Meredith Taylor | 37 comments Glad I found this, albeit a month late! I'd be willing to share the "round up the dinner" job, though not Dead Keen to take it on alone. Doing mere little Raleigh resembled herding cats; however, it also resembles getting my family to dinner together!

I'm taking a TON of time in NOLA due to missing a trip in December 2015 (long story I will tell you). I was pleased during my researches to find that a few of the plantations acknowledged that they only existed because there was literal slave labor to keep them going.

Also: I have been advised not to wander alone very late at night, especially intoxicated. But not exactly our kind of behavior!!

I'll get in the Monday before Bcon and leave the Thursday after Bcon is over.

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Meredith wrote: "Glad I found this, albeit a month late! I'd be willing to share the "round up the dinner" job, though not Dead Keen to take it on alone. Doing mere little Raleigh resembled herding cats; however, i..."

Meredith, you are in charge of me not wandering alone at night.

message 17: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Dina wrote: "Well, count me in. Sounds wonderful!"

Dina, consider yourself counted.

message 18: by Erin (new)

Looking over the schedule so far, I think it's going to be super difficult to find a dinner window this year:
Thursday night: Opening Ceremonies 6:30-9:00pm
Friday night: Parade (5-6pm), David Morrell Q&A (6:30-7:30pm), Anthony Awards (8-9pm)
Saturday night: Auction (6:30-9pm)

We might have to take a poll to see which night people are more willing to skip stuff. Or we could do a ridiculously early dinner on Thursday or Saturday (like 5pm?) or something.

message 19: by John (new)

Saturday, the auction evening, would seem to be the most likely, unless Laurie got in early and was available Wednesday evening. We will have to discuss.

message 20: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Saturday night is the night I think looks best, too.

message 21: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments I'm very seriously considering going to the Whitney Plantation on Wednesday. It would take all morning for the tour, which is admittedly rather expensive. But I feel, at least for me, it is an important part of American history that I want to witness. I'd go by myself, but if someone wants to come with, let me know and I'll set it up. The website for the plantation is: http://www.whitneyplantation.com/

message 22: by Erin (new)

KarenB wrote: "I'm very seriously considering going to the Whitney Plantation on Wednesday. It would take all morning for the tour, which is admittedly rather expensive. But I feel, at least for me, it is an impo..."

A bunch of my college friends are going to come play tourist in NOLA with me before Bcon, and we have the Whitney Plantation on our list. We're probably going to go on Monday. And actual entry tickets are only $22 (compared to the like $100 for the "tour" with transport from downtown), so we've been talking about renting a car for that day because a car rental for the day plus ticket prices will be a fraction of the cost of the bus tour since we have a group of five.

message 23: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Well, darn! I'd crash your group, Erin, but won't be there until Tuesday afternoon. And, yeah, I was going to look into the various costs of tour vs. rental car, etc.

message 24: by Erin (new)

Panels have been posted! Unfortunately, they're posted on Scribd and you can't print them or save them unless you have an account =P

I think I might kill some time today putting them into a more readable spreadsheet format.

message 25: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Erin, I signed in with FaceBook and was able to print out the schedule from Scribd.

message 26: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments KarenB wrote: "I'm very seriously considering going to the Whitney Plantation on Wednesday. It would take all morning for the tour, which is admittedly rather expensive. But I feel, at least for me, it is an impo..."

I might want to do that on Wednesday, although I probably won't decide until closer to Bouchercon, or maybe even when I get there. I'm coming in on Monday around noon, but my daughter is joining me on Tuesday afternoon, so since Wednesday will be our only full day together, I want to check with her, too.

message 27: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Kathy - just let me know whenever you figure it out. I wanted to put it out there so people knew if they wanted to do it.

message 28: by Laurie (new)

Laurie (laurierking) | 166 comments Mod
I have a 7:30 dinner on the Saturday with my publishers, but could manage an early pre-dinner with you guys. Or Wednesday, we're supposed to land by 4:30. Supposed to…
L.

message 29: by Erin (last edited Aug 02, 2016 09:41AM) (new)

I started an event doc for sharing (updated from previous years). Trying to sketch in where we can add some meetups and gathering some contact info. Add your info and any comments about dinners, etc, to the doc (link required!):

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g...

message 30: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments I put in my information which hopefully worked but I am very unfamiliar with google docs. Will it be the same link during B'con to use to check in on things?

message 31: by John (new)

Dina, I just checked the table and your info was in there ok. As far as I know that link will be active at least through Bouchercon.

message 32: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Great! Thanks. I am unfortunately technically challenged so I was not at all sure I did it correctly.

message 33: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Laura wrote: "I won't be in NOVA this year but maybe I can make it to a Bouchercon someday (spoken wistfully). I do have a question - is there an official "FOL" group or page? I seemed to miss that one"

I just realized your question never got answered, Laura! No, there isn't an official "FOL" group. Most, if not all of us, are members here and were members on the now defunct LRK VBC (Laurie R. King virtual book club). A number of us have also "friended" each other on facebook and keep in touch that way as well. There is no official group and I have no clue how many people call themselves a member of the FOLs. It's really a loose designation for those of us who are Laurie fans. There is also the Letters of Mary fan fiction group that writes fan fiction based on LRK's Russell series. Alice and Merrily are moderators of that group, I'm a lurker over there.

And if you can ever make it to a Bouchercon, I suspect you'd have a very good time. It's really amazing to look around a crowded and very large room and realize that every single person there is a reader or writer or both.

message 34: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Is anyone planning on volunteering? Have you volunteered at past Bouchercons and what was your experience doing so?

message 35: by John (new)

My "volunteering" solely consists of photographing as many panels and attendees as possible; I have not done any official volunteering. I believe a couple of the folks have volunteered as room monitors, book bag fillers, etc but they can tell you details.
And a slight correction; this Goodreads group is still the LRK VBC, replacing the original forum. ;-)

message 36: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Volunteering is a really good way to meet people and I used to do it particularly if it was my first time at a convention. Can't do it much any more but I like helping out when I can.

message 37: by Erin (last edited Aug 08, 2016 09:50AM) (new)

KarenB wrote: "Is anyone planning on volunteering? Have you volunteered at past Bouchercons and what was your experience doing so?"

I've volunteered the last few Bouchercons. Doing the panels is the easiest as it just requires setting out the name tags for the table and making sure the room has a fresh water for panelists (if it's empty, you let a hotel staffer know). Sometimes the moderator will ask you to remind them when they're at 5 minutes left, but a lot of them have their own watch out. I've also manned the information desk and the volunteer check-in desk, which were pretty boring.

I'm doing a few panel set-ups this year. And I might volunteer at the reg table one morning. And since I'm in town early, I really want to do book-bag stuffing.

ETA: it's kind of hit or miss at how organized the volunteer coordinator is going to be, since the job changes year to year. I had one year where I showed up for my allotted time and they had no idea what to do with me =P (I think that was the year at the info desk in Cleveland).

message 38: by John (new)

Erin, just FYI: a little birdie told me that there won't be book bag stuffing this year, that the books will be laid out in groups and the attendees will choose their allotment of books from among different groupings, and that registration and book choosing will begin Wednesday morn.

message 39: by Erin (new)

Thanks John! I had spotted the note in the volunteering email that they were doing book bags "differently" this year, but hadn't heard yet how it was going to change.

I guess I'll just volunteer to man the registration desk on Wednesday, then.

message 40: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments John wrote: "Erin, just FYI: a little birdie told me that there won't be book bag stuffing this year, that the books will be laid out in groups and the attendees will choose their allotment of books from among ..."

I was thinking about doing book bag stuffing this year, but I guess that's out now. I might try to to a panel or two.

message 41: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments On the Tuesday night gathering that involves whatever FOLs want to go plus other readers and some authors, the place for dinner has been changed to Acme Oyster House. This restaurant is within walking distance of the Marriott and Preservation Hall, and it's prices are cheaper than Commander's Palace, too. I've changed it on the google document.

message 42: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Gumbo! Jambalaya! Étoufée! Plus oysters!!! I'm smiling already, Kathy!

message 43: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Acme Oyster House is wonderful but often has a very long line. Though I haven't been to New Orleans in 10 years it might be worth finding out if they now take reservations particularly with a large party.

Also, is the outing on Tuesday or Wednesday? For some reason I have Wednesday on my calendar.

message 44: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Dina, the event for going out to eat and going to Preservation Hall has always been on Tuesday night. You may be mixing it up with the FOLs dinner with Laurie. I have already contacted Acme Oyster House and been told that they do not take reservations. Nothing is written in stone about a restaurant for Tuesday night yet, so it's subject to change again. I'll keep everyone informed.

message 45: by Dina (new)

Dina | 79 comments Thanks for clearing that up, Kathy. Might have known I got it wrong. :)

message 46: by Laurie (new)

Are we still thinking of a group dinner Wednesday, or does this Tuesday event take its place?

message 47: by KarenB (new)

KarenB | 352 comments Wednesday dinner is planned for the entire group, or at least everyone who is there. The Tuesday event is whoever wants to have dinner and go to Preservation Hall together. I think we discussed having the Wed. dinner a casual one, in which it would be easy for you and your group to join in if your plane is not too badly delayed. Saturday we were discussing a cocktail party or bar gathering before dinner. Place has not been decided for any of these, I don't think.

message 48: by John (new)

The e-mail thread going on about dinner seems to be leaning toward Evangeline's for Wednesday dinner.

message 49: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 399 comments Laurie wrote: "Are we still thinking of a group dinner Wednesday, or does this Tuesday event take its place?"

Laurie, the Tuesday night event is something I'm getting together, with Marjorie's assistance, for friends and authors who are FOLs and others. It started when Marjorie and I were talking about going to Preservation Hall on Tuesday night, and it's evolved into dinner and music. Anyone here is welcome, but it doesn't take the place of the FOL dinner with you. If you're going to be in town on Tuesday, I'd love it if you could go.

message 50: by Laurie (new)

I'm not getting in tul Weds afternoon, so I won't be joining you on Tuesday. But if we're up for Weds, I'll may be bringing both Zoe (agent/daughter) and Les Klinger, if that's okay?
We'll just keep fingers crossed for airline timings. Oh, and for lack of floodings...

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.