RDG 6319 Foundations of Reading, Summer 2016 discussion

Sarah Plain and Tall

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Victoria (new)

Victoria Thornton | 19 comments As a child I remember picking this book and putting it right back down. It was never read to me in class or a requirement for us to read. I did not really enjoy reading this book very much. I thought it was kind of boring. Parts of it were interesting but overall it is not one of my favorites. I think it is a good book to have in the classroom because it shows what people during the pioneer days lived like and gives students a look into another time period. I think that some students could relate to losing someone close to you, wanting someone to like you, and missing something or someone. Wondering if anyone has seen the movie and is it similar to the book?

message 2: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments I haven't seen the movie, but after reading the book I am interested to see how the movie is. I agree that students could easily relate to loosing someone close to them, or missing someone a lot. I did not like reading this book either, but I think upper elementary girls might like this book because they could relate to Sarah in some ways.

-Nickole

message 3: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Even though this was not one of my favorite reads, I do appreciate how this book was full of fear, hopes and dreams. There were parts that interesting and I do feel it would be a good book for a classroom resource.

message 4: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments I don't remember reading this book as a child, but I really think I would have loved it. My cousin, Jill, and I used to love hearing stories just like this one! We would even pretend we lived in a similar time period. Today's world is so drastically different, and it is getting harder and harder to even remember a time so primitive. I think students would really benefit from being exposed to this book!

message 5: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Victoria wrote: "As a child I remember picking this book and putting it right back down. It was never read to me in class or a requirement for us to read. I did not really enjoy reading this book very much. I thoug..."

I haven't seen the movie, but I might try to at some point this summer. Seeking a spouse through an advertisement seems so odd, but it appears it was a necessity for both Jacob and Sarah.

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Weaver | 39 comments Robyn wrote: "Even though this was not one of my favorite reads, I do appreciate how this book was full of fear, hopes and dreams. There were parts that interesting and I do feel it would be a good book for a cl..."

Caleb was my favorite character in this story. He was so open about his fears and also so willing to embrace a new future.

message 7: by Nickole (new)

Nickole Castillo | 39 comments Kimberly wrote: "Victoria wrote: "As a child I remember picking this book and putting it right back down. It was never read to me in class or a requirement for us to read. I did not really enjoy reading this book v..."

I thought so too, but it's like searching for a date/spouse now, only we do it online on dating websites.

message 8: by Robyn (new)

Robyn | 18 comments Nickole wrote: "I haven't seen the movie, but after reading the book I am interested to see how the movie is. I agree that students could easily relate to loosing someone close to them, or missing someone a lot. I..."
I have not seen the movie either however, it might be fun to do a compare and contrast with the book and movie.