The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Preacher (potential spoilers)

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Keith (new)

Keith (keithatc) Two episodes in, and I quite enjoy this show. I'm not a reader of comics, so I come in with none of that baggage (or knowledge), but I like the blend of the supernatural, religious, forsaken, and sweaty American desert landscapes. And I like Dominic Cooper and Ruth Negga.

Maybe the show can hire Adrianne Palicki and Nick Blood next, and just make it a who's who of people who died on, disappeared from, or had their Marvel series canceled.

message 2: by Darren (new)

Darren Keith wrote: "Two episodes in, and I quite enjoy this show. I'm not a reader of comics, so I come in with none of that baggage (or knowledge), but I like the blend of the supernatural, religious, forsaken, and s..."

It's departing from the comics from pretty much the first scene, so I don't think you have to worry much about the "baggage" of having read one of the better comic series of the late 20th century.

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments I've really liked it. I haven't gotten around to reading it yet, although I do own it.

From what I gleaned from the Talking Preacher show, they elevated both Cassidy and Tulip to costars from sidekicks. So it seems like they're going the Walking Dead route by preserving the spirit rather than the letter of the book.

I have to say, both Tulip and Cassidy had some of the best character introductions I've seen in quite a while.

message 4: by Chris (new)

Chris Bellevie (cbellevie) | 20 comments While Cassidy is everything I expected Cassidy to be, Jesse just doesn't have the same feel as the comics. And Tulip feels like a brand new character to me. In the comics, she has to deal with Jesse and struggling to be seen as equal in regards to dangerous situations, yet in the tv show, she seems like an over the top fully realized version of who she might be in the comics if Jesse wasn't trying to protect her. Aside from her constantly harassing Jesse, I guess I like her character, but the change feels like it takes away from the potential of approaching that aspect of the comics.

I loved the comics and finding I'm having a hard time really enjoying how they started out. I had really hoped for a direct adaptation, like Outcast, which is seems to be about as direct adaptation as you can get.

message 5: by Dharmakirti (new)

Dharmakirti | 942 comments I read the first couple Preacher trade paperbacks many years ago and I really enjoyed them, but I don't really remember anything about them (other than knowing what the entity that's possessing, if that's the word, is).

That said, I'm loving the show, especially the cast. It's not perfect, it can be a bit disjointed and I felt that the tone of the first two episodes were a bit inconsistent.

message 6: by Paul (new)

Paul Spence (saxman69) | 2 comments I am finding the Preacher TV show to be a mixed bag. There are pacing issues which results in portions of the two aired episodes being slow and dull.

Jesse is almost a different character and at this point and he is the least interesting member of the cast. I agree that the actor playing Cassidy absolutely nails it note perfect.

I do not mind the reconceptualization of Tulip's character all that much. She is more assertive in her TV incarnation right at the start, where in the books she was an appendage of Jesse during the early going before she really discovers her agency and autonomy.

The jury is out. The show is uneven and not a complete success. I am rooting for it and I hope it comes together in future installments.

message 7: by John (Nevets) (new)

John (Nevets) Nevets (nevets) | 1528 comments It is interesting that most of the people I hear from both on this forum as well as others who are "on the fence" about this show are ones who have read and enjoyed the comics. While the majority of people who have not read it (myself included) are seeming to really dig it. These are just anecdotal, but it has been pretty consistent. It seems to mostly come down to the characterization of Jesse and if this is a road show or not.

By the way I've been on the opposite side for other adaptations, so I get why so many who enjoyed the comic have reservations.

message 8: by Rick (new)

Rick | 2775 comments This is an ADAPTATION. Sorry for the caps, but do we need to point out every time that a work is adapted for a different medium that it will change? Some adaptation change little. Some change a lot more. A few go too far and the adaptation really bears very little in common with the source...

but expecting things to be close to the source all the time is kind of ignoring the reality of working in different media. Comics != TV and vice versa.

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3492 comments Mod
I'm loving it so far. I haven't read the comic so had no expectations coming in.

I like the Cassidy and Tulip characters.
It's good to have Rudy from Misfits back :-) and just as crazy.

It would have had to be changed for TV. I had heard that the general view was that Preacher was impossible to bring faithfully to the screen.

I want to go and read the Graphic Novels now, but I think I will wait until the show is over and see how different it is.

message 10: by Darren (new)

Darren Paul wrote: "I do not mind the reconceptualization of Tulip's character all that much. She is more assertive in her TV incarnation right at the start, where in the books she was an appendage of Jesse during the early going before she really discovers her agency and autonomy. "

I don't think this is true. Tulip was the one who shook Jesse out of his shit. She was in trouble with her murderous family when she's introduced, but she was still a dangerous character all on her lonesome. I think when people talk about weak Tulip, they're talking about when Cassidy made her his thrall after lying to her about Jesse's death, which is quite late in the comics. (And she also gets out of that one on her own)

message 11: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I know the comic and the TV are going to be different, but it will have a lot of similar story arcs. So if any comic storylines, (That haven't been in the show yet), are mentioned, can we spoiler tag them please :-)

Spoiler from Comic (view spoiler)

For those of us who are going into this without any foreknowledge and also for those of us who want to read the comic later on.

message 12: by Darren (new)

Darren Preacher was published last century.

message 13: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I've only read the first of the trade paperback editions thus far, which means my experience with the storyline is limited, but so far I prefer the tv adaptation. Tulip's far more interesting (no doubt due to being a more fully-realized character), and I'm enjoying how Jesse's newfound ability is more of a two-edged sword, forcing him to accept the accountability that comes with its use.

message 14: by Darren (new)

Darren Walter wrote: "I've only read the first of the trade paperback editions thus far, which means my experience with the storyline is limited, but so far I prefer the tv adaptation. Tulip's far more interesting (no d..."

I still don't agree with this, at all. I like the Tulip from the show, but she is cartoonish. She's certainly more upbeat than comic-Tulip, but that doesn't make her better. Just different. I also have a problem with people who haven't read the comics calling book-Tulip less fully-realized.

Speaking of upbeat, though, why isn't anyone talking about how perfectly Ian Colletti nailed Arseface? Yeah, they removed the need for subtitles, but he's got the ebullience and regret down pat.

message 15: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Darren wrote: "Preacher was published last century."

But for those of us that haven't read it, nothing exists beyond the end of the last TV episode. Everything past that is potentially spoilers and could ruin a unique viewing experience.

message 16: by Walter (last edited Jun 11, 2016 03:03AM) (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments Yes, I've only read the first of the trade paperback editions, but since these are the first episodes of the tv series, my personal take is concerned solely with how each venue introduced the character. Who knows what direction the tv series will ultimately take? After the show has come to an end, and I've finished the comic book series, my initial impression on how well each ultimately handles the Tulip character might very well change. I'm certainly open to being proved wrong.

message 17: by Darren (new)

Darren Tassie Dave wrote: "Darren wrote: "Preacher was published last century."

But for those of us that haven't read it, nothing exists beyond the end of the last TV episode. Everything past that is potentially spoilers an..."

The show is already wildly different from the comics. Jesse killed everyone in his congregation when he got his Voice of God powers. Everyone. I think it was the first issue, so not much of a spoiler. They were barely characters.

Sheriff Root. Arseface. Cassidy. He didn't meet any of these people until after he'd left town and hooked back up with Tulip. Cassidy may well turn out to have a heart of gold in this, and Tulip one of stone. I don't know, and neither does anyone.

message 18: by Chris (new)

Chris Bellevie (cbellevie) | 20 comments Rick wrote: "This is an ADAPTATION. Sorry for the caps, but do we need to point out every time that a work is adapted for a different medium that it will change? Some adaptation change little. Some change a lot..."

I don't think anyone here has really stated they expected it to be a direct adaptation, think people are just naturally drawing comparisons to the much loved source material. And there are a lot of differences to compare.

Anticipation for this was pretty high, especially as there have been a number of attempts to bring this to the table already.

message 19: by Silvana (new)

Silvana (silvaubrey) | 1616 comments The only reason I watched this in the first place was Joseph Gilgun and since the first two episodes did not disappoint, I will keep watching for now.

message 20: by John (john) (new)

John (john) (dowdykitchenman) | 130 comments Haven't read the comics but loving the show.

Can Tom & Veronica get Cassidy to do a guest spot just for the "What Are We Drinking" segment?

message 21: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments There are many things I'm liking about this iteration of the Preacher graphic novels, but one in particular is the way they appear to be extending the destruction of the church which occurs in the first issue of the original comic book series (not a spoiler, since it pretty much happens right at the start).

What I'm getting is that Jesse's 'gift' is a dual-edged sword, which makes sense given its origins in the comic, (view spoiler). If I'm reading it right, my impression is that this is a takeoff on stories about making a deal with the devil insofar as the eventual results of Jesse's 'interventions' are concerned; no matter how clever you thought you were when you worded it in the first place, the ultimate outcome will inevitably be perverted from your original intent.

message 22: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments There are many things I'm liking about this iteration of the Preacher graphic novels, but one in particular is the way they appear to be extending the destruction of the church which occurs in the first issue of the original comic book series (not a spoiler, since it pretty much happens right at the start).

What I'm getting is that Jesse's 'gift' is a dual-edged sword, which makes sense given its origins in the comic, (view spoiler). If I'm reading it right, my impression is that this is a takeoff on stories about making a deal with the devil insofar as the eventual results of Jesse's 'interventions' are concerned; no matter how clever you thought you were when you worded it in the first place, the ultimate outcome will inevitably be perverted from your original intent.

message 23: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8156 comments That season finale. Nice.

I still haven't read the comics, but the cause of the explosion was the very definition of "dark comedy."

And now we wait for a year.

message 24: by Walter (new)

Walter Spence (walterspence) | 707 comments I find myself wondering about the gunslinger. The implication appears to be that, unlike mortals (and even angels), if he kills an angel, the angel stays dead and doesn't self-resurrect.

message 25: by Darren (last edited Aug 02, 2016 01:37AM) (new)

Darren Walter wrote: "I find myself wondering about the gunslinger. The implication appears to be that, unlike mortals (and even angels), if he kills an angel, the angel stays dead and doesn't self-resurrect."

Yes. The Saint of Killers never misses, and every shot is fatal.