UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

General Chat - anything Goes > translated sayings

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I work with a few people from various parts of the world and some quite amusing alternative sayings are coming out.

From Poland :

"The cow is Mooing a lot but doesn't give a lot of milk"

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh cripes. I've heard loads of Russian ones in last months but I can't remember any. :(

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 3001 comments Not quite the same thing but related:

A saying that my mates' nan occasionally came out with was "I'd laugh to see a pudding roll"

A Google search turns up other people who are equally confused as to where it came from...

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9111 comments Finnish rellies have come up with a few over the years. I particularly like "to let a frog out of your mouth" (say something stupid/embarassing) and "I'll show you where a chicken pees from" (I'll show you how it's done).

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Martinus | 646 comments My favourite Dutch one is "All silliness on a small stick", meaning "But, heh, heh, seriously now, folks..."

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments My mum used to say 'When the cock crows on the dunghill, the weather will either change or stay the same.'

Apparently it is better in german...

message 7: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments The only foreign one I know is 'cansado casado' which is a joke type saying in Spain that means you're tired of being married.

message 8: by Steven (new)

Steven Beddoe There was a Chinese subtitle to The Fellowship of the Ring. Where Gimli says, "bring your pretty face to my axe," it turned into "bring your pussy face to my ass."
How I wish the film actually said that :-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments That's magic, Steven.