World, Writing, Wealth discussion

All Things Writing & Publishing > genre/niche: where's the money

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:28AM) (new)

Alex (asato) if you look a this slide, you can see how the size of the niche (in this case, simply a large genre) can differ so widely. in fact, one might see a correlation b/w higher price points and the predominance of the big 5 in a genre. in effect, the big 5's higher pricing can pull up the price point for the other indie and small/med publishers. one might, in fact, make argue for such a causal relationship in the non-fiction genre.

authorearnings 2016 May Pricing by Genre

sidenote:

* i had thought that erotica was a big seller but apparently i'm wrong.
* this slide is only for ebooks

message 2: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13764 comments Looks like publishers (big and others) still dominate most of the genres, however indies overtook romance and erotica and their share probably grows in all other genres.
Erotica is probably a more visiual genre

message 3: by J.J. (new)

J.J. Mainor | 2151 comments Nonfiction seems strange to me if we're talking ebooks only. My first assumption is that it's these indies writing "self-help" just going for the KU read, but the Big 5 hold a major share of that category. So what is going on? Have they finally started releasing college books as ebooks, or is it the ludicrous pricing of nonfiction books that skews the sales data?

message 4: by Nik (new)

Nik Krasno | 13764 comments Another thread that seems to be relevant to some of our recent discussions...