Our Shared Shelf discussion

Announcements > July/August

Comments Showing 1-50 of 166 (166 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Emma (new)

Emma Watson (emmawatsonbookclub) | 49 comments Mod
Dear Our Shared Shelf,

Some announcements!

First, after careful consideration I’ve decided to make books bi-monthly to give people enough time to borrow/buy, read and discuss each book (I hope this gives everyone some extra breathing space. For eager beavers and keen beans I might add a few extra things to look at when a new book is posted.

Second ! For the first time………….. I want YOU to decide what we read over July/August so I’ve set up a poll. I’ve added some ideas to get you going but I’d love to see your suggestions too if you feel strongly. I can’t wait to see what you all pick!

Love,

Emma x

message 2: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Marie | 200 comments Thanks Emma! I'm glad to know that we have a voice here!

message 3: by Ardit (new)

Ardit Haliti (ardit_haliti) | 61 comments I really do appreciate that you took my advice back in February and that you keep letting us international readers know what book we will be reading a week or two in advance. It has helped a great deal for many people around the world, I am sure of it! ❤️

Keep on reading!

Ardit x

message 4: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (snumpus) There are some fabulous choices on the poll! I had a hard time narrowing it down to one.

message 5: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Thank you Emma for this book club! Joining is the best thing I've ever done with my life

message 6: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments What about 'Like water for chocolate' by Laura Esquivel???

message 7: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriemaxwell) | 13 comments I tried to look at the titles and they are so small that I accidentally voted for a book that I might not have chosen. Is there any way to reset the poll for me? This site's font size is really not user friendly at all.

message 8: by Anzicnik (new)

Anzicnik | 1 comments Thanks so much for this update! It helped me a lot, cause I´m from Slovakia and we live in a stone age and it´s so hard to find a book in my language, or ship it from different country.. -.-

message 9: by Paige (new)

Paige | 48 comments I can't read the titles as I'm on my phone and the prints too small but I'll go vote on my laptop later! X

message 10: by Marine (new)

Marine | 4 comments Hi ! Great, this is really nice, I heard, read and studied "The handmaid's tale" by Margaret Atwood. And this is a fantastic book, as Margaret Atwood is one of my favorite author and a feminist, I'd love to read it again for " Our shared shelf"

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Periña | 67 comments Thanks Emma! Really glad that we have voices here! :)
I don't know if you guys already read this book but I'd like to recommend, "The 10 Women You'll Be Before You're 35" by Alison James ..
It's really inspiring to all women out there! You can read the description of this book if you want. Thanks! :)

Christine x

message 12: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:37AM) (new)

Katelyn (katelynrh) | 836 comments Mod
Hi all,

You can suggest books for the group by following the directions here: How to Suggest a Book
Additionally, you can suggest it in relevant book lists in the book suggestion folder. Those lists are based on subject matter, genre, etc. You can start your own list if you don't see one for a particular subject or genre already, but please check first, as we will remove duplicate threads.

If Emma uses polling to decide book choices in the future, our suggested books list will be useful for her to pick the options from.

The poll has been edited to include the titles and authors along with the covers, so it should be easier to navigate now.

Happy voting! :)

message 13: by Lucie (new)

Lucie Gardet | 10 comments What do you think about Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert ? :)

message 14: by Martin (new)

Martin Felando | 42 comments I hope it's Maya.

message 15: by Piangsuree (new)

Piangsuree M. (ppiangsuree) | 2 comments That's amazing Emma!
we're waiting for it! <3

message 16: by Shana (new)

Shana Kaplan (sek1128) | 93 comments Thanks Emma! While I'm an eager beaver I am not a speedy. This coupled with a family crisis and busy schedules I have much to my own disappointment fallen somewhat behind. I'm half through The Argonaughts and have Persepolis in the waiting. I haven't participated in book discussions because of this reason and not for a lack of disinterest. This extra time will be so helpful Emma. I'm also interested in the extra things you post which I can read at my own pace. Many thanks! X : )

Letting the group choose the book is great. I'll head to look at the poll. :)

message 17: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Madame Bovary is a good option, I second that!

message 18: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriemaxwell) | 13 comments Kodak wrote: "Carrie wrote: "I tried to look at the titles and they are so small that I accidentally voted for a book that I might not have chosen. Is there any way to reset the poll for me? This site's font siz..."

Thanks I voted again. You're a gem.

message 19: by Alyson (new)

Alyson Stone (alysonserenastone) | 148 comments I like going bi-monthly. I think it will work out better.

message 20: by Alessia (new)

Alessia Comite | 1 comments thanks emma

x

message 21: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriemaxwell) | 13 comments I'm glad that this is going bi-monthly because even in Chicago it's hard to get these books in a timely fashion from the library. Also, I love the poll idea.

message 22: by Lucie (new)

Lucie Gardet | 10 comments JOSUE wrote: "Madame Bovary is a good option, I second that!" Thank you you're lovely :)

message 23: by Lucie (new)

Lucie Gardet | 10 comments Imsoo wrote: "Lucie wrote: "What do you think about Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert ? :)"

:)"
;)

message 24: by Vance (new)

Vance Gibson Equality for women! You tell 'em Emma!

message 25: by Marina (new)

Marina | 310 comments JOSUE wrote: "What about 'Like water for chocolate' by Laura Esquivel???"

It's very interesting indeed! I definitely think we need more books that weren't originally written in English.

message 26: by Mahima (new)

Mahima Thanks for that Emma, getting something like a headstart here would work for me. :-D

message 27: by Pauline (new)

Pauline | 14 comments I love this new arrangement Emma!

The books you have chosen are all so interesting! Even if my pick might not be selected by all, I am definitely gonna read it!! Thank you for introducing all these inspiring books to us=)

I got one book suggestion - I am Malala. Many people might have read this already, I am just suggesting it as it could bring more discussions about inadequate opportunities for girls in schools.

Again love all your book choices and your effort in running this book club! It takes me to another world with surprises, knowledge and wisdom!!

message 28: by Anita (new)

Anita | 87 comments Wonderful! Thanks Emma!

message 29: by Amy (new)

Amy Lauren | 22 comments I love this diverse selection! There were too many good choices, but I managed to narrow it down to a single vote. Hopefully, we'll have a chance to get to all of them through OSS.

message 30: by Helen (new)

Helen (helen2u) | 302 comments I will definitely take my time to see which one is the best option for me then vote. The bi monthly situation is a happy situation, I'm waiting to get my hands on the argonauts, persepolis and how to be a woman.

message 31: by Agnes Szalkowska (new)

Agnes Szalkowska | 382 comments ok i got few titles. What can be worth reading.

1. MIGHTY BE OUR POWERS: SISTERHOOD,PRAYER AND CHANGE A NATION AT WAR. by Laymah Gbowee & Carol Mithers

"During the Liberian Civil War, Gbowee’s life changed dramatically as she endured the deaths of several friends and relatives. As a young mother, she realized that women suffer tremendous amounts during periods of conflict; however, she also noticed that women working together could create a powerful voice for peace. In 2003, Gbowee helped to organize the Liberian Mass Action for Peace and held public protests and sex strikes. With the Liberian women united, Gbowee helped bring peace to her nation at last."

2. WOMEN AT POINT ZERO by Nawal El saadawi

"At only 156 pages, Woman at Point Zero packs a powerful punch into a small number of pages. While exploring themes such as arranged marriages, female sexual pleasure and female education, El-Saadawi tells the story of a young Egyptian woman who became a prostitute to survive after running away from a brutal "

3. I AM NUJOOD, AGE 10 AND DIVORCED by Nujood Ali

"Another quick read coming in at fewer than 200 pages, Ali’s memoir tells the story of her early childhood in Yemen where her family struggled to survive on a daily basis. In order to ease the family burden, her father agrees to an arranged marriage for Nujood when she is only six years old. Her story is not only a story of tragedy, but also of empowerment as Nujood finds the strength within herself to fight for her rights."

4. THE ROAD OF LOST INNOCENCE: THE TRUE STORY OF A CAMBODIAN HEROINE by Somaly Mam

"Somaly Mam’s memoir serves as both a tragic and empowering tale of her life as a sexual slave in the Cambodian brothels and her amazing quest to save other young girls from similar fates. This book can be hard to stomach as the details of the sex industry are gruesome and overwhelming. However, after reading it, you will no doubt feel hopeful because The Somaly Mam Foundation is now one of the most highly respected anti-trafficking organizations in the world."

5. INFIDEL by Ayaan Hirsi Ali

"A powerful and unforgettable memoir, Hirsi Ali’s book serves as a window into Islamic traditions and beliefs. In her book, Hirsi Ali describes her previous life growing up in a Muslim society, touching upon beliefs such as arranged marriages, tribal culture, and wearing the hijab. However, after the 9/11 terrorist attacks, Hirsi Ali denounced Islam, fled to the Netherlands, and began her new life as an advocate for Islamic women’s rights. To this day, Hirsi Ali remains a serious target for terrorism yet remains actively engaged in the fight for gender equality."

6. HALF THE SKY: TURNING OPPRESSION INTO OPPORTUNITY FOR WOMEN WORLDWIDE by Nicholas Kristof and Sheryl Wudunn

"t really is no surprise that this book made the list. Recently made into a PBS documentary, Half the Sky: Turning Oppression into Opportunity for Women Worldwide has become an international movement for gender equality. Covering topics including but not limited to education, sex trafficking, maternal mortality, and clean water, the authors recount personal stories about both female suppression and empowerment from around the world – never failing to support each claim with hard data and statistics. Upon finishing this book, you will be anxious to join the movement to advocate for women’s rights."

7. DESERT FLOWER by Waris Dirie

"aris Dirie (the name means desert flower) lives a double life - by day she is a famous model and UN spokeswoman on women's rights in Africa, at night she dreams of her native Somalia. Waris, one of 12 children, was born into a traditional family of desert nomads in East Africa. She remembers her early childhood as carefree- racing camels and moving on with her family to the next grazing spot - until it came her turn to meet the old woman who administered the ancient custom imposed on most Somalian girls: circumcision. Waris suffered this torture when she was just five years old. Then, aged 12, when her father attempted to arrange a marriage with a 60 year old stranger in exchange for five camels - she took flight. After an extraordinary escape through the dangerous desert she made her way to London and worked as a maid for the Somalian ambassador until that family returned home. Penniless and speaking little English, she became a janitor in McDonalds where she was famously discovered by a fashion photographer. Her story is a truly inspirational and extraordinary self-portrait of a remarkable woman whose spirit is as breathtaking as her beauty."

8. BOSSYPANTS by Tina Fey

"Before Liz Lemon, before "Weekend Update," before "Sarah Palin," Tina Fey was just a young girl with a dream: a recurring stress dream that she was being chased through a local airport by her middle-school gym teacher. She also had a dream that one day she would be a comedian on TV.

She has seen both these dreams come true.

At last, Tina Fey's story can be told. From her youthful days as a vicious nerd to her tour of duty on Saturday Night Live; from her passionately halfhearted pursuit of physical beauty to her life as a mother eating things off the floor; from her one-sided college romance to her nearly fatal honeymoon -- from the beginning of this paragraph to this final sentence.

Tina Fey reveals all, and proves what we've all suspected: you're no one until someone calls you bossy. "

9. WILD: FROM LOST TO FOUND ON THE PACIFIC CRES TRAIL by Cheryl Strayed

"At twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and she would do it alone. Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her."

take a pick .

message 32: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Agnes wrote: "ok i got few titles. What can be worth reading.

1. MIGHTY BE OUR POWERS: SISTERHOOD,PRAYER AND CHANGE A NATION AT WAR. by Laymah Gbowee & Carol Mithers

"During the Liberian Civil War, Gbowee’s li..."

Hi Agnes,

You can suggest books for the group by following the directions here: How to Suggest a Book
Additionally, you can suggest it in relevant book lists in the book suggestion folder. Those lists are based on subject matter, genre, etc. You can start your own list if you don't see one for a particular subject or genre already, but please check first, as we will remove duplicate threads.

If Emma uses polling to decide book choices in the future, our suggested books list will be useful for her to pick the options from.

In order to vote for the July/August choice, You must click the book of your choice on the poll HERE. Votes cast by posting on this thread, or by suggesting books on this thread, won't be counted as official votes.

message 33: by Agnes Szalkowska (new)

Agnes Szalkowska | 382 comments sorry sorry :0 I got that now . I think I need my sleep :)

message 34: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Agnes wrote: "sorry sorry :0 I got that now . I think I need my sleep :)"

No worries! Just want to make sure everyone knows the drill so everyone's vote is counted!! :)

message 35: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Marina wrote: "JOSUE wrote: "What about 'Like water for chocolate' by Laura Esquivel???"

It's very interesting indeed! I definitely think we need more books that weren't originally written in English."

Totally agree, and this novel is well worthy.

message 36: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments I like to suggest Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy too!

message 37: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

JOSUE wrote: "I like to suggest Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy too!"

Just want to clarify again that books mentioned here will not be counted as official votes in the poll. You must vote via the poll in order for your vote to be counted. We don't want anyone to miss out!

message 38: by JOSUE (new)

JOSUE (josuemsv) | 29 comments Katelyn wrote: "JOSUE wrote: "I like to suggest Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy too!"

Just want to clarify again that books mentioned here will not be counted as official votes in the poll. You must vote via the pol..."

Sorry, I already done! :)

message 39: by Vance (new)

Vance Gibson If everyone has the same amount of purchasing power, than nobody can control anyone else, in any way.

message 40: by Vance (new)

Vance Gibson I saw Little Women some twenty years ago. I cried when Beth died.

message 41: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Solis (stephsols) | 22 comments Thank you so much Emma! Great!!

message 42: by Nick (new)

Nick Peron | 19 comments Wow!! All the books that Emma has included in the poll are fantastic! I can't wait to know what we will read next month

message 43: by Achyutta (new)

Achyutta | 1 comments Can we still make suggestions for the months following August/July? A Doll's House and Hedda Gabler were my first literary exposures to feminism and are certainly engaging to dissect!

message 44: by Simone (last edited Jun 07, 2016 09:21PM) (new)

Simone | 85 comments This is great!BUT,I also want to know your suggestions!what you decide to read.
I would recommend I AM MALALA, it is a powerful book

message 45: by Donna (new)

Donna | 8 comments Hi there
I have just gone into the poll page and it says that it is closed now until end of June, therefore, I am unable to see the books or vote...please advise
Thank you

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

That's a great idea! Thanks, Emma.

message 47: by Judith Marie (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:56AM) (new)

Judith Marie | 14 comments Until when is the poll going to be open?

message 48: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Marie wrote: "Until when is the poll going to be open?"

The polls are currently set to expire on June 30th.

message 49: by Katelyn, Our Shared Shelf Moderator (new)

Martha wrote: "um yeah if you ever read this I hope you like this is a poem I wrote ten minutes ago on feminism. I cant do it so could you create a section where you put your own pieces of writing about feminism...."

Because self-promotion is against the group rules of Our Shared Shelf as well as Goodreads in general, we cannot add a section for members to post their work. There are other groups on Goodreads and elsewhere on the internet that would be a more useful place to request writing critiques. I'm sure you can find some if you do a google search! We're mainly focused on the book club aspect of this group with a healthy dose of feminist discussion to supplement our reading :)

message 50: by Judith Marie (new)

Judith Marie | 14 comments Marie wrote: "Until when is the poll going to be open?"

Thank you :)

« previous 1 3 4