Play Book Tag discussion

June, 2016: Fantasy > Alice In Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass/4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimber (new)

Kimber (kimberwolf) | 824 comments Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass

Through dreams, Alice visits a Wonderland filled with impossible creatures, utter silliness and wordplay. Alice seems to be the 'straight man' amid all of the comedic and nonsensical antics as she wanders through Wonderland and becomes cross when confronted with too much nonsense. The talking animals, including a hookah-smoking caterpillar, changes in size, and eating and drinking of things that change your perception/size make me think of substances with hallucinogenic properties. I saw little bits of things that may have been inspiration for Harry Potter stories (photos whose subjects move around inside the frame, a chess game played with people as the game pieces, etc). The games with words also made me think of The Phantom Tollbooth. Although a lot of the story is made up of nonsense and wordplay, I found sentences with deeper meaning woven throughout.

message 2: by Anita (new)

Anita Pomerantz | 6305 comments For some reason, I completely loved these books as a child. Which amuses me now because I really don't appreciate fantasy now. But I truly look back on these fondly . . .I especially like the chess game part which seemed so creative.

message 3: by Karin (new)

Karin | 6931 comments Anita wrote: "For some reason, I completely loved these books as a child. Which amuses me now because I really don't appreciate fantasy now. But I truly look back on these fondly . . .I especially like the chess..."

Well, children are usually more interested in pretend, I think, which makes it easier to like books such as this.