The Not a Book Club Club discussion

The Wheel of Osheim (The Red Queen's War, #3)
This topic is about The Wheel of Osheim
Mark Lawrence > TWoO: Prologue - Chapter 6

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Please keep comments and spoilers to only this section.

Tammy So far just read the catch up notes at the front of the book. Those are handy though as I have forgotten things.

message 3: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Tammy wrote: "So far just read the catch up notes at the front of the book. Those are handy though as I have forgotten things."

Same here. I wish more authors would do this :)

Suzanne | 1582 comments I posted that in general - should have put it here - oops! But yes I kept thinking today - all authors should do this! So very helpful! It was just the right length, and yes - SUCH a good idea.

I loved the first dinner too. Such a good mix of funny and eeek.

It has been pretty much non-stop action. And I keep thinking "I need to write down this quote.!"

Tammy So far pretty good although I get a bit lost between when he is in hell and the real world, and if Snorri is just I his hell thoughts or is actually behind the door in hell. Also all the builder references loosing me a bit as the whole builder lore didn't really hit in the last book till much later, so I guess I am just forgetting some of it.

Jalan is still true to his character though and his time with the sheik and his daughters had some funny moments.

Suzanne | 1582 comments I agree the builders are still pretty mysterious. I was grateful the prologue reminded me a lot about them.

And yes that was a great scene with the daughters...and the brothers!

Tammy I'm not sure Lisa was all that appreciative considering she was taken out of slavery by Jalan.

Bill | 1596 comments I also really liked the catch up section even though I just finished book 2 and didn't need it.

I like that even though Jal has grown through the series in his understanding of the world he still has the same weaknesses and only overcomes them accidentally.

really intrigued to see what happened to Snorri.

message 9: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments OK - so finally catching up and getting in my reading grove (I hope! :))

I loved the section, I appreciate the forward and backwards references between the time he was in Hel/Hell and the present time. Since you only have 1 POV throughout the book, it mixes it up a bit.

The meeting between Jorg and Jalan where they traded wounds and war stories was great.

I found it interesting that Jalan had actually spent a year of "college" studying at the Mathematica and could solve the door puzzle, he didn't seem quite the type ;)

I wish I remembered more of The Broken Empire. I remember that Jorg travelled to the Arab peninsula, but don't remember him setting off the Nuke there.

Jorg is still true to his nature but definitely maturing.

Suzanne | 1582 comments Yes there were so many great scenes in this first part, but that meeting was one of my favorites. It's true - Jorg really did have it worse!

The scene in Hel with the boy in the thorns - was it in this section?

message 11: by Sky (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sky | 1291 comments Suzanne wrote: "Yes there were so many great scenes in this first part, but that meeting was one of my favorites. It's true - Jorg really did have it worse!

The scene in Hel with the boy in the thorns - was it i..."

Yeah, that was the other thing I was going to mention but forgot! Jalan hadn't met Jorg and swapped stories at this point, so I guess he didn't realize who it was. I wonder if he realized it after hearing Jorg's story?

Suzanne | 1582 comments I wonder if he did too. I think he must have, at least on some level. And seeing the boy struggling painfully through the thorns, not allowing himself to be rescued because he wanted to help his brother - and Jalan saying he couldn't have done that...it made me appreciate Jorg a lot more than I did previously.