Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Everland (Everland, #1)
This topic is about Everland
Everland, by Wendy Spinale

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Dina | 182 comments I read this book for Week 39, a previous suggestion that did not make it into the list. It is a retelling of Peter Pan. I am not sure what to think about it - I didn't think it was bad, but I didn't love it. It was a steady paced book and didn't seem to get bogged down. Maybe more character development?

message 2: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I just finished it as a side-read. I was like you after the 1st half but then it was easier to see the problems.

I liked the dystopian setting (I think it's a good dystopia) and the chapters from Hook's point of view. Most of the characters were ok but Pete never really felt like Peter Pan (aka selfish and lightheaded). Gwen was badly written, I found her awkward and annoying, without depth and with all the defaults you can have in a bad YA character (aka guilty, then annoying then deeply in love. Argh). Totally the opposite of Wendy.

For the story, it spent too much time on the rescue so it dragged and many relationships and scenes felt forced. It also lacked the adventure feeling I associate with Peter Pan.

It wasn't terrible as I usually DNF bad Peter Pan retellings, but I'm not sure I would have finished it without the dystopian setting.

Dina | 182 comments I like your viewpoints. I agree that it is a good dystopian and it was nice hearing about Hook's point of view. I felt bad for him (just a bit) in the last couple of chapters.

This is the first in a trilogy, and the author's debut. I might read the next one as I am interested to see how the author's writing progresses and see how the characters develop.

message 4: by Zaz (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zaz | 3034 comments I'm curious too about what could happen in the sequel as they are changing places. I'll probably see how good are the reviews when the 2nd will be released and decide if I read it or not. At a world scale, she has a lot of room to do something interesting.