Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Brahminy Kites

Comments Showing 1-50 of 7,583 (7583 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 151 152

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 26, 2016 01:59PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
Brahminy Kites

Mentor: Amanda

Vicky ~ Captain
Joanne ~ Co-Captain
ShannonP ~ Co-Captain
Becky ~ Co-Captain
Amy Bentley
Bonita
Catherine
Chelsea
Cora
Ediali
Margaret
The Genre Minx
Chloe

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:22PM) (new)

Battleship Board

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Vicky (last edited Jul 01, 2016 06:48AM) (new)

message 6: by Vicky (last edited Jun 28, 2016 11:37AM) (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments CALENDAR

June
16: 1st Round of Battleship Guesses
17: START READING!
20: 2nd Round of Battleship Guesses
24: 3rd Round of Battleship Guesses
27: 4th (Final) Round of Battleship Guesses

July
1: Battleship Ends/Olympics Begin
22: Olympics End/Wheel-a-Thon Begins

August
19: Wheel-a-Thon Ends/Bingo Begins

September
2: Bingo Ends/Labors of Hercules Begin
23: Labors of Hercules End/Emerge the Victor Begins

October
21: Emerge the Victor Ends

Time Zones

Official Challenge Start Time is 11:00 AM London, England Time (BST). All challenges will begin or end at this time. Here's the conversion to our time zones:

ACST: 7:30 PM
UTC: 10:00 AM
London (BST): 11:00 AM
NA Eastern: 6:00 AM
NA Central: 5:00 AM
NA Mountain: 4:00 AM
NA Pacific: 3:00 AM

message 7: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Reserved

message 8: by Vicky (new)

message 9: by Vicky (new)

message 10: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Good Morning Team! Welcome to WOBBLE & the Brahminy Kites! :D

I'll be your captain for this challenge, along with JoAnne and Shannon and we are all super excited to get going! I'm going to be sending out friend requests to everyone shortly to make sure that everyone knows to come to our thread, please make sure to accept them - especially if your profile is private, I will need to be your friend to check your books!

I will be out of town for the weekend starting tomorrow evening, but I will still be checking in on Goodreads.

Everyone please stop in to introduce themselves, let us know why you're excited to WOBBLE and what you're currently reading! :D

As for me, this is my 5th team challenge with NBRC and I always get excited for them because they give me a lot of motivation to read and let me meet lots of new readers! I'm currently in a bit of a reading slump, but I'm almost through with Tower Lord and I'm reading Outlander for this month's BOM with NBRC.

message 11: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments I am so very excited!! Yay!! I am Amy aka The Genre Minx which is my blogging moniker. I am excited to Wobble because I have never done a team challenge and this one is very involved, also it will probably challenge me to read new genres (although as the genre minx I do read across most genres as is) Currently I am reading Stifled (Summoned, #2) by Rainy Kaye . I received a copy via NetGalley for review.

message 12: by jingles (new)

jingles Good morning, team! I'm jingles. I live in the southern part of the US. Unfortunately I'm in a bit of a reading slump at the moment as well. I am reading, but it's slow going and I seem to have to make myself do it :( What's up with that?!

I've participated in a couple of team challenges in the past and really enjoyed them. I love to do the team challenges because I always find new friends and new books to read...and many times great new authors :)

I am a series fanatic! I love, love, love series books. Not that I don't like stand-alones....I do, but there's just something about a series :)

I'm looking forward to the game!

Vicky, JoAnne and Shannon, thanks so much for heading up our team!

message 13: by Bonita (new)

Bonita Hi, Vicky

Glad to finally get this started! This is my first team challenge with NBRC. I will be traveling the 17th (bummin'). Should be checking in over the weekend though.

I don't want to read anything I chose for challenges this month so I am in the process of adding to my currently reading list without actually finishing anything. I liked Outlander but it's challenging because of its length, and I haven't read the next book yet.

message 14: by Cora (new)

Cora (corareading) | 98 comments Hello Team! My name is Cora. I am from Maryland, US (DC suburbs). This is my first time playing a team game at NBRC, but I have played a handful at another group. My favorite genre is fantasy, but I enjoy reading a number of genres.

I am currently reading The Tower at Stony Wood by Patricia A. McKillip. I expect to finish that up later today.

I am looking forward to meeting everyone. I am going out of town from tonight until Monday. I will be checking in but since I hate posting from my phone I may be quiet for a couple of days.

message 15: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 92 comments Hi everyone! I'm Laurence from Quebec, Canada. This is my first challenge here but I'm used to challenges on other discussions groups. I read mostly in french which is my first langugage. I'm currently ready Muchachas volume 1 by Katherine Pancol. Should be finishing it today or tomorrow. Happy to meet everyone and being part of the team!

message 16: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Welcome fellow Kites! A kite is apparently a bird of prey so I'm expecting us to tear this challenge apart :p

I'm Joanne and I will be one of your friendly co-captains. I will also be sending you all a friend request to help with keeping track of everyone's reading. We have such a big team and I'm excited to get to know all of you.

I've played a few team challenges in this group and a whole bunch more in other groups.

I'm currently reading a book called As Long as the Rivers Flow which is about a girl from northern Ontario who was sent to a residential school at the age of 6. It's going to be heartbreaking I know. The last really great book I finished was The Pillars of the Earth which I kept putting off for years in spite of the good reviews because it just didn't sound that interesting and because its so long. Glad I finally got to it though, it's become one of my favourite books and I just can't shut up about it now.

message 17: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Aaaah Outlander. I read the first 6 books at the rate of about one a month and then was so burnt out after that that I haven't picked up the next one since, and that was a couple of years ago.

message 18: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Bonjour Laurence, fellow Canadian!

message 19: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 12 comments Hello my name is Sarah and I am from Alberta, Canada. I am super excited to participate in this challenge with everyone. Currently I am rereading A Court of Thorns and roses, and Clockwork Prince. I am so happy to be part of this group.

message 20: by Laurence (new)

Laurence Bastien | 92 comments Mix of US and Canadian can't wait to play with you all we're going to have fun wobbling haha

message 21: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Sarah wrote: "Hello my name is Sarah and I am from Alberta, Canada. I am super excited to participate in this challenge with everyone. Currently I am rereading A Court of Thorns and roses, and Clockwork Prince. ..."

Hello Sarah!

message 22: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments I will be excited to know once everyone has reported in if we are all from Canada and America. I am from Frisco, Texas. Just recently relocated from NY.

message 23: by Bonita (new)

Bonita The Genre Minx wrote: "I will be excited to know once everyone has reported in if we are all from Canada and America. I am from Frisco, Texas. Just recently relocated from NY."

I live in Ohio. How do you like Texas? Where is Frisco?

message 24: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Bonita wrote: "The Genre Minx wrote: "I will be excited to know once everyone has reported in if we are all from Canada and America. I am from Frisco, Texas. Just recently relocated from NY."

I live in Ohio. How..."

Frisco is north of Dallas, which is also just south of Oklahoma. I like much about this area except we live in the bottom of Tornado Alley--like how the F did I not know that before moving here?? and the weather here is not hot enough for me. It is already June and we are just starting to have 90 degree days here, sheesh!! haha ha I guess that is what we get for living in north Texas.

message 25: by Bonita (new)

Bonita Huge change from New York! Tornadoes are scary. I would like the hotter/drier climate though.

message 26: by Minx (new)

Minx (minxreadsalot) | 2485 comments Bonita wrote: "Huge change from New York! Tornadoes are scary. I would like the hotter/drier climate though."

I agree about tornadoes! not cool at all. I remember living in Missouri when I was younger and having tornado issues then, ugh.

message 27: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments The Genre Minx wrote: "I will be excited to know once everyone has reported in if we are all from Canada and America. I am from Frisco, Texas. Just recently relocated from NY."

My insider informant told me that we were all NA based, so we probably will be.

I was born and raised, and still live in, Delaware. My hubby is Canadian though, from outside of Ottawa. He still living there while we play the waiting game for immigration paperwork (it's not a very fun game! haha).

message 28: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Aaaah Outlander. I read the first 6 books at the rate of about one a month and then was so burnt out after that that I haven't picked up the next one since, and that was a couple of ye..."

I'm stuck at book 6 too! I flew through the first 4, and then plodded through 5 & 6. I've loved them all, but big books are so much work! I'm hoping to hit 7 & 8 sometime this summer... we shall see! This reread might inspire me. ;)

message 29: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Maybe if I see you reading book 7 this summer I will be inspired to read it too.

I work with a lot of people who have immigrated to Canada and its amazing to hear how many years of paperwork and waiting it takes to come here. I'm sure its similarly difficult to move to the US.

message 30: by Books In Bloom (new)

Books In Bloom (booksinbloom) Hii. I'm Margaret from bemusedbookworm.com. I'm super excited to get started on this challenge. The battleship sounds really fun. :)

I'm currently reading a few books. The Girl on the Train, Appetite and All the Birds in the Sky. Im hoping to finish atleast two of those before Wobble. :)

message 31: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea (chelsbee) | 66 comments Hi Everyone!

I'm Chelsea. I live over in Seattle, Washington, though I am probably relocating to Dallas this summer.....is that part of tornado alley as well? As if the snakes and spiders weren't enough already. We have such mild everything here on the West Coast!

I am super excited to join this challenge, especially as I just finished the Uno Teams in another group!

message 32: by Vicky (new)

Vicky (librovert) | 2016 comments Welcome Margaret & Chelsea! :D

Also - I meant to mention earlier, I'm heading to Boston after work tomorrow for the weekend. I'll be popping in from time to time but also hate following threads via the app so I might not be super chatty. I'll be driving back on Sunday and will be back to business as usual on Monday! :D

message 33: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie Hatfield (hidingbehindthepages) HEY I am Steph, I live in CA. This is my first challenge. I am kind of in a reading slump, I have 3 books that I am kind of reading but not as fast as I would like to. Starting June 20 I will be in Europe until July 1 so i wont be on as much as i would like to be.
Feel free to send me a friend request :)

message 34: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments I am hoping that we can all get to know each other a bit better.

I would love if everyone would post two or three series' that they love. I'm always looking for some good recommendations.

I'll get us started with a few of my favourites:

Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb This series currently has 42 published books in it and more on the way. I've read the first 9 books and can't wait to make more progress on them. They are set slightly in the future with a homicide cop as a main character.

Feed (Newsflesh Trilogy, #1) by Mira Grant I finished this trilogy just recently and thought it was so good. It's about zombies, but this one isn't about people living in chaos. The world got through the outbreak and systems are in place to control the contagion and keep things as safe as they can. The science behind what happened was so interesting to me.

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, #1) by Patrick Ness People seem to either love or hate this series. I loved it obviously. I feel like if you can get past the phonetically spelled words, the story is just so good. Oddly enough, these are the only books from this author that I liked. Everyone else loved A Monster Calls but I just couldn't get into that or one other one I read by him.

message 35: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Stephanie wrote: "HEY I am Steph, I live in CA. This is my first challenge. I am kind of in a reading slump, I have 3 books that I am kind of reading but not as fast as I would like to. Starting June 20 I will be in..."

Hey Stephanie, we would love to have you on our team, but it looks like you've been put on team Draco Lizards. Here is the link:
https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 36: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1607 comments G'day All

Just a friendly and mellow mammoth popping in to spy on say hello to neighbours - won't have time to be a social butterfly once the battle challenge begins :)

Just letting you know that Brahminy Kites live in my part of Australia - they are a beautiful bird of prey - mostly reddy brown with a brilliant white head and chest. I love seeing them soar over my house.

message 37: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments LOL Sally, you're not at all conspicuous with that giant magnifying glass.

That's interesting that they fly over your house. I have to admit that I had to look this animal up online as I had never heard of "kites"

message 38: by Shannon (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:01PM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1142 comments Hello everyone!! It's great to see so many new people. I'm your co-captain with Joanne and this is my first challenge in this group. I will admit I'm a little terrified of how this all works but am so excited to get started.

I'm up by Chelsea in the Portland, Oregon area but am from Arizona originally. We tried going back to AZ but gave up after a few years. I think my hubby got tired of seeing me cry whenever "Little People, Big World" came on showing them on their Oregon farm. lol

I only read M/M books but will read anything in that genre. Mysteries, Fantasy, Crime Thriller... if it's good, I'll read it. It should be interesting to see what other things I'll be forced to read outside my comfort zone. Scared and excited about that!

message 39: by Catherine (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:21PM) (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Hi all... can't wait to get started ;)

I fear I may get confused with how they have this set up...but bear with me...no pun theer...no not I...lol... I am not a computer person...so if I forget to do something....but hey...I'll try to remember :)

I love historical, historical romance, romance, mystery, thriller, humour, brit lit, chick lit, fantasy...so I think I will be ok with all the games :)

message 40: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Sally906 wrote: "G'day All

Just a friendly and mellow mammoth popping in to spy on say hello to neighbours - won't have time to be a social butterfly once the battle challenge begins :)

Just letting you know th..."

Haha...Sally906....how many Brahminy Kites did you see with that there magnifying glass?!?!? :)

message 41: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Don't worry about being confused Catherine. Just ask if you have questions. We're here to help.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a to-read shelf as big as yours.

message 42: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Shannon I've never read an M/M book. Where would you suggest I start?

message 43: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1142 comments Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Shannon I've never read an M/M book. Where would you suggest I start?"

What's your favorite genre of book? Straight up romance, mystery, historical....lots of sex, no sex, fade to black. Give me something to work with here, I have so many books!! lol

message 44: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1142 comments Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Don't worry about being confused Catherine. Just ask if you have questions. We're here to help.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a to-read shelf as big as yours."

I have got to see her shelf!!

message 45: by Joanne (new)

Joanne | 3201 comments Hmmm. Maybe straight up romance. I'm still fairly new to romance in general but I'm a fan of "forbidden romance" and "friends to lovers". Some sex is good. Haven't read anything too out there (BDSM etc) and not sure I'm ready for that yet, lol. More than "fade to black" but not every 5 pages either.

message 46: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Shannon wrote: "Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Don't worry about being confused Catherine. Just ask if you have questions. We're here to help.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a to-read shelf as big a..."

if you are sure you want to risk it....lol...bring breadcrumbs...or you might get lost!!

message 47: by Shannon (last edited Jun 09, 2016 12:08AM) (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1142 comments Joanne, Look and see if any of these look interesting to you. I 5-starred all of them. If you see one you'd like to give a try, let me know. I (or someone in my group) probably have it kindle lendable so you can give it a go for free. Bringing another one over to the dark side! Mwahahahahahaha

Collide
Crossroads
In the Absence of Light
Knight of Ocean Avenue
Faith & Fidelity
Slide
Rock
Loving Jay
All Kinds of Tied Down

message 48: by Shannon (new)

Shannon (pokey36) | 1142 comments Catherine wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Don't worry about being confused Catherine. Just ask if you have questions. We're here to help.

I have to say I don't think I've ever seen a to-rea..."

lmao, OMG, yours is worse than mine! I have mine broken down a lot so I can find things but we obviously share some kind of weird, I must have over 20k books, obsession. That makes me happy! :)

message 49: by Catherine (new)

Catherine | 5051 comments Shannon wrote: "Catherine wrote: "Shannon wrote: "Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "Don't worry about being confused Catherine. Just ask if you have questions. We're here to help.

I have to say I don't think I've ..."

haha!! I think my shelf has simply taken on a life of it's own!! :)

message 50: by Bonita (new)

Bonita Joanne - is from Canada wrote: "I am hoping that we can all get to know each other a bit better.

I would love if everyone would post two or three series' that they love. I'm always looking for some good recommendations.

I'll ge..."

1) Stephanie Plum by Janet Evanovich - I am listening to her books on CD in the van - sometimes I make up excuses to go places just to listen to more of the book.

2) Tommy & Tuppence by Agatha Christie - anything by Agatha Christie. I started reading her books when I was in high school.

3) Masters of the Shadowlands by Cherise Sinclair - awesome series and so excited that she has a new one out!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 151 152