Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Slender Loris

Comments Showing 1-50 of 4,471 (4471 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 89 90

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 28, 2016 05:45PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
Slender Loris

Mentor: Karen

Elise ~ Captain
Melissa ~ Co-Captain
Cait ~ Co-Captain
Ashlee
Barbara Sweeney
Beatriz
Corey Huffman
Drishti
Ellen
Joly Per
Maddie
Mandiann
MB
Nicole Brennan
Shayla Snow

Caroline
Klancy

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:20PM) (new)

Battleship Board

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 6: by Elise (last edited Sep 10, 2016 04:49PM) (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat)

Labors of Bookules

Labors of Bookules Rules

message 7: by Elise (last edited Aug 18, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

message 9: by Elise (last edited Aug 13, 2016 12:51AM) (new)

message 10: by Elise (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:37AM) (new)

message 11: by Elise (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:35AM) (new)

Link to Completion Post thread
Completion Posts

message 12: by Elise (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:34AM) (new)

message 13: by Elise (last edited Jul 03, 2016 03:35AM) (new)

message 14: by Elise (last edited Jun 10, 2016 03:21AM) (new)

Here's the link to the Land Teams mini-challenge spreadsheet.

Let's go Team Slender Loris!

Land Teams Mini-Challenge Spreadsheet

message 15: by Elise (last edited Jun 08, 2016 05:33AM) (new)

Welcome to team Slender Loris!
Aren’t they the cutest?! Fun fact - they sleep all rolled up in a little ball - awww!

I’m Elise, your captain, and you also have two co-captains, Melissa and Cait, so there should always be someone around to answer any questions.

As you can see below, we have a mini-challenge to get started with, competing - for fun, not WOBBLE points! - against the three other Land teams. So check your book lists for land animal reads and let’s start this challenge off, Slender Loris style!

I’ll be sending out friend requests, if you could accept me, that would be lovely, and if you beat me to it, go ahead and add me.

I have some quick “get to know you” questions to get our team chat started…please post your answers so you can get to know your teammates!

Who am I? : Hi! I'm Elise, your team captain, from Sydney, Australia.

What I like to read : My favourite genres are classics and historical fiction...or books with dinosaurs in them.

My favourite book from 2016 so far... : Tough choice...it's a tie between The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón and The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway.

What gets you most excited about WOBBLE? : Definitely looking forward to the Olympic Games challenge - I love all things Olympics. The Labors of Bookules should also be fun...anything with to do with Greek mythology is awesome!

message 16: by Karen ⊰✿, Fiction Aficionado (new)

Karen ⊰✿ | 14216 comments Mod
Slender LorisTapirRed PandaPlumed Basilisk

Land teams mini challenge

Just for Fun! While waiting for wobble to start

Books with a READ date of June 8-16 and 100 pages or more count.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

To Play:

Read books with:
- Land animals in the title (max. 2 per book) for 20 points each
- Land animals in the book as characters (max. 5 per book) for 10 points each
- Land animals mentioned in the book (max. 5 per book) for 5 points each
- Land animals on the cover for 10 points (max. 5 per book)

BONUS: Read a book that someone on a different land team has read for 20 points!

Notes:
*Shapeshifters DO count.
*If a land animal is being claimed as a character, it can not also be counted as a "mention".
*When reading a book a team member from another land team has read, it may have a read date before or during this mini challenge

You CAN mix and match for lots of points.

For example:

Magic Breaks (Kate Daniels, #7) by Ilona Andrews

Land animals in the book as characters (Derek-wolf, Curran-lion, Jim - Jaguar, Andrea - Hyena, Barabas - Mongoose): 50 points
Land animal (lion) on the book: 10 points
Bonus: Someone {name} on Land team {name} has read for 20 points
So my book is worth 80 points! (50+10+20)

Remember: This is NOT for Wobble points, it is just for fun and to get to know your fellow Land team players.

Land teams are:
Slender Loris
Tapir
Red Panda
Plumed Basilisk

message 17: by Melissa (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:34AM) (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Welcome to Team Slender Loris!! We are so excited to get to know you all! :)

Who am I? : My name is Melissa and I live in the US (near Philadelphia, PA). I am 32 years old and have two daughters who love to read just as much as I do! I have co-captained a challenge before but nothing like this and I am really excited to get started on this one.

What I like to read : My favorite genres are historical fiction, fantasy, and paranormal. I will try anything and have been reading books outside of my normal realm by reading more BOMs which has been great.

My favourite book from 2016 so far... : This one is tough so I will pick more than one :)
Historical Fiction: Rebel Queen Awesome book!
Fantasy: A Gathering of Shadows This one was so much better than the first one IMO (not that the first one was bad!) and The Winner's Kiss Perfect ending to this series. If you haven't checked it out I recommend it!

What gets you most excited about WOBBLE? : I am really excited for the challenge in general. The multiple games and challenges are so unique and I am excited to do something I've never done before :) And of course - getting to know all of you!

The one thing I would like to mention is: Please have fun! This is a game to challenge yourselves and expand your reading preferences. Ask questions! Let us know how you feel - that is what we are here for :):)

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Does anyone already know anyone from the team or have been on a challenge with another person before?

I was Team Princess during the UNO challenge at Perks with Elise and Ashlee - good to see you again :):):)

message 19: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 497 comments Who am I? : Hi! I'm Ashlee. I am a 33 year old teacher from the US (near Pittsburgh, PA).

What I like to read : I am open to reading just about anything, but lately I have found myself enjoying a lot of romance, mystery, and young adult.

My favorite book from 2016 so far...Deep Blue Eternity, Hazardous Duty, and Elite. The 2nd and 3rd have gotten me started on 2 new series. :)

What gets you most excited about WOBBLE? : This is the first time I have been in such a big challenge; my first challenge was UNO. So, I'm excited to learn how to compete in a variety of challenges.

message 20: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 497 comments Melissa wrote: "Does anyone already know anyone from the team or have been on a challenge with another person before?

I was Team Princess during the UNO challenge at Perks with Elise and Ashlee - good to see you ..."

Yay!! I'm excited to be on this adventure with you girls! I'm also excited to meet all of the others!!

message 21: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Hi Ashlee - I was so excited to see you on our team!

I think this is the first challenge like this for all of us so it's going to be so much fun. I am always so jealous of teachers lol - School's almost out soon right?

message 22: by Ashlee (last edited Jun 08, 2016 06:59AM) (new)

Ashlee | 497 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi Ashlee - I was so excited to see you on our team!

I think this is the first challenge like this for all of us so it's going to be so much fun. I am always so jealous of teachers lol - School's ..."

Today is my second official day of summer vacation. It is a super windy day, so I intend to spend it as a bookworm and getting my WOBBLE bookshelf set up.

message 23: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Lucky you! Check out the mini-challenge too. That seems like a fun way to get ready to go for Wobble.

message 24: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hello Team Slender Loris!! I'm the other half of your co-captain duo. I'm so excited to get to know all of you and get this challenge started! Here's some quick info about me.

Who Am I?- I'm Cait, I'm 26, and I'm currently in upstate New York. But before the end of this challenge, I'll be a Floridian!

What I like to read- My absolute favorite genre is horror but I also enjoy fantasy, YA, mystery, and dystopias.

My favourite book from 2016 so far...: Oh goodness. Hmmm-- I have to go with We Are the Ants. Super unique and touching and funny and yes. Excellent book.

What gets you most excited about WOBBLE?: I'm reeeaalllly excited for the Olympic Games! I'm obsessed with the Olympics, watch it 24/7 when its on, so doing a reading version is going to be a blast!

message 25: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Hi guys! Super excited for this challenge!!!

Who am I? : Hi! I'm Drishti from India.

What I like to read : I read classics, contemporary, fantasy, humor, middle grade, mythology, paranormal, science fiction, thrillers and YA. These days, I'm trying to "break out of my shell". So I'm trying nonfiction and historical fiction. The experience has been good so far.

My favourite book from 2016 so far... :
Middle grade - The Honest Truth and The Last Olympian
YA - Carry On and Stand-Off
Historical fiction - The Book Thief and A Thousand Splendid Suns

What gets you most excited about WOBBLE? : Olympics, Battleship and Labor of Bookules! Especially Labor of Bookules 'coz anything with Greek mythology is interesting!

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Hi Cait and Drishti!

Drishti - I love historical fiction :) What time period have you read and which is your favorite? I recently read Rebel Queen which was so good!

message 27: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi Drishti and Ashlee! So good to meet you both!

Drishti, we have very similar tastes in books so I look forward to adding a ton of your books to my TBR lol

What's everyone reading right now? Anything good?

message 28: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Melissa wrote: "Hi Cait and Drishti!

Drishti - I love historical fiction :) What time period have you read and which is your favorite? I recently read Rebel Queen which was so good!"

I like the Holocaust and I'll read almost anything related to it. But so far, I've only read The Book Thief (which I loved) and All the Light We Cannot See (which I couldn't get into). And I read A Thousand Splendid Suns which is about the racial wars in Afghanistan and I loved it. So yeah, that's all the experience I have with historical fiction.

Btw, I added Rebel Queen to my TBR because A) It's about the country I live in and Rani Lakshmi Bai is one of my heroes and B) Indian War of Independence is a really interesting topic!

If you have any recommendations you think I'll like, please feel free to recommend. :)

message 29: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Cait wrote: "Hi Drishti and Ashlee! So good to meet you both!

Drishti, we have very similar tastes in books so I look forward to adding a ton of your books to my TBR lol

What's everyone reading right now? Any..."

Awesome. I'm always glad to meet people who share my reading tastes.

I'm currently reading City of Glass. And I must say, this series just keeps getting better and better!

message 30: by Mandiann (new)

Mandiann (goodreadscommandiann) | 495 comments Hello Team! I just wanted to quickly check in and let you know I am here and so excited but on my way out to head to work for the day. I will peruse the thread and land animal challenge when I get home tonight.

message 31: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments I hope you like Rebel Queen! I knew nothing about the events or people before I read that and it was so interesting.

Secrets of a Charmed Life was very good as well.

The Book Thief is on my TBR - I'm hoping to read it during this challenge.

I'm currently reading Outlander which is a re-read for me. I really enjoy this story and the relationship between Jamie and Claire - although there are many debatable aspects of it.

message 32: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Hi Mandiann! Look forward to talking to you later. Enjoy work :)

message 33: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi Mandiann! Have a good day :) Talk to you later!

message 34: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Melissa wrote: "I hope you like Rebel Queen! I knew nothing about the events or people before I read that and it was so interesting.

Secrets of a Charmed Life was very good as well.

The Book Thi..."

I just added Secrets of a Charmed Life to my ever-growing tbr! It sounds good.

I hope you like The Book Thief. It's an awesome book.

message 35: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 497 comments Drishti wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Hi Cait and Drishti!

Drishti - I love historical fiction :) What time period have you read and which is your favorite? I recently read Rebel Queen which was so good..."

Ooohhh, I like reading about the Holocaust, as well. Might have to check some of your reads out.

message 36: by Drishti (new)

Drishti (drishti_ohri) | 1047 comments Ashlee wrote: "Drishti wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Hi Cait and Drishti!

Drishti - I love historical fiction :) What time period have you read and which is your favorite? I recently read Rebel Queen w..."

Have you read The Book Thief? It's about The Holocaust and it is a great book!

message 37: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 497 comments Drishti wrote: "Ashlee wrote: "Drishti wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Hi Cait and Drishti!

Drishti - I love historical fiction :) What time period have you read and which is your favorite? I recently read [book:Rebel Qu..."

I bought it, but haven't had a chance to read it yet. Will definitely add to by TBR.

message 38: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments I've sent friend requests to everyone with a note that I'm one of your co-captains. If you feel comfortable accepting, that would be lovely <3 Just in case I ever need to get in touch with you...and so we can scour each others shelves ;)

message 39: by Ellen (new)

Ellen | 286 comments Hello team! I'm Ellen, I'm a Brit (Jamaican and English) currently living in Riyadh Saudi Arabia where I work as a nurse. Currently trying to decide whether to stay here, go home or go to Dubai next (Dubai is winning).

My favourite genres are historical fiction, young adult, classics, sic fi, books about nursing/health care and books set in other countries.

I'm really excited to join this challenge this will be my first competitive team challenge. I did take part in the around the world challenge so hopefully that may prepare me a little for what lays ahead.

message 40: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi Ellen! Welcome :D

I'm loving seeing all these new to team challenges players joining in. Nothing like jumping right in to the biggest one yet!

I've lost track of how many team challenges I've done now but Wobble is new for us all so we're on even ground.

And wow, Dubai! That would be incredible! I've moved around a ton the last ten years but never somewhere fun like that haha

message 41: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylarae21) | 76 comments Hi guys! Just checking in for now but I will be back to answer the Get To Know Me questions soon, just at work right now :) Send me friend requests!

message 42: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Hi, Shayla! Nice to meet you! Have a good rest of your day at work, looking forward to getting to know you more later :)

message 43: by Melissa (new)

Melissa | 2577 comments Hi Ellen and Shayla! It looks like we have teammates from all over the world. That is awesome!

message 44: by Elise (new)

Elise F (elise_literaryhabitat) Ashlee wrote: "Melissa wrote: "Does anyone already know anyone from the team or have been on a challenge with another person before?

I was Team Princess during the UNO challenge at Perks with Elise and Ashlee - ..."

Yay! Hello fellow princesses! :)

message 45: by Elise (new)

Welcome to all the team members who have checked in so far!

The mini-challenge against the other Land teams has officially started...any books that you complete from June 8 on count towards this challenge (YES, you can have started them before the challenge!).

As you complete a read, please post on here what you read, date completed, if another person in another team has read it as well, and importantly, how it can get the points! If you have any issues/confusion/questions, either post or PM one of your captaining team.

With regards to getting points for the book being read by another team member - get your stalker on! In a non-creepy way of course ;)
You can go to another members bookshelves, select their "read" shelf, and arrange their shelf by title, author, etc. You could also use the "compare books" function. If you aren't sure how to do this, post a question, or PM your captaining team.

I would also suggest while you are there - sort their shelf by their ratings before you leave, and have a look at what has been rated 5 stars. Could be an excellent way to add to your TBR...or remind you to pick something up that has fallen off your radar!

message 46: by Shayla (new)

Shayla (shaylarae21) | 76 comments Who Am I? - Hi! I’m Shayla, 23 years old, and live in Edmonton, Alberta (which is in Canada).

What I Like To Read - I’m a huge sucker for fantasy and psychological thrillers! I love books that make me think and that don’t overdo the gushy romance stuff, since I have found very few books that do it well and don’t make me roll my eyes haha.

My Favourite Book From 2016 So Far… - I LOVED Six of Crows, also really enjoyed The Girl on the Train and Falling Kingdoms.

What Gets You Most Excited About WOBBLE? - This will be my first ever reading challenge and I’m looking forward to hopefully making some friends and discover some great books! :)

message 47: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments Hey guys :D I'm Maddie and, like Elise, I'm also from a place where our time zone definitely doesn't match anywhere else :p I'm from New Zealand, the first country to see the sun each morning, also home to LoTR and Narnia :D Great place to live.

I like to read fantasy, sci-fi, YA for sure, basically any popular book. I'm not really one for chick lit or romance, but I do sometimes when I'm in the mood. The one thing I don't normally read ever is non-fiction or short stories. I like to read series', and you'll often find me saying 'ah I only got to so-and-so book in this series' because I never have time to finish them all :p Also something else I tend to do heeeaps is overbook my buddy reads :p I'm always constantly behind in them. So just beware haha.

Favourite book of the year has got to be..... Hmmmmmm...... That's actually such a genuinely hard question haha. Do I have to answer?

I'm most excited for the challenge and the competition, and the motivation to get more books read :p My first challenge in this group, I think, so I'm pretty excited. And I might need some pushing/encouraging/yelling at to get my books read :p

message 48: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments And I know Drishti and Mandiann from other place :) Oh, and I'm 18.

message 49: by Cait S (new)

Cait S | 2825 comments Welcome Shayla and Maddison! Nice to meet you both :D

I'm with you on chick lit and romance, Maddison. I won't touch strictly romance novels with a ten foot pole. I'll dabble in anything else though.

And yes! You have to answer! ;) Give us a few of them if you can't pick one. I'm using everyone's answers as a means to expand my TBR lol

message 50: by Maddie (new)

Maddie (maddisonbruce) | 5239 comments I mean, if I need a break from complex plots and whatever, and if it's by an author that I really like, then I'll read it, but I can't read just those books. For example, my favourite author is probably Colleen Hoover. Her books are just amazing and incredible. But I'm more into fantasy and paranormal etc.

I'll just give you good authors :p
Colleen Hoover (contemporary)
Kelley Armstrong (paranormal-ish)
Joseph Delaney (medieval fantasy)
Becca Fitzpatrick (fantasy kind of romance)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 89 90