Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Burning Firebirds

Comments Showing 1-50 of 2,290 (2290 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 45 46

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 25, 2016 11:12PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30803 comments Mod
Burning Firebirds

Mentor: Sonia

Rachel ~ Captain
Megan ~ Co-Captain
Jen
Amanda
Joyce
Lindsey
Marybeth
Megs
Natasha
PNJ Janet
Sarah
Sherri Wright
Sumit
Wren

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:25PM) (new)

Battleship Board

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Aug 18, 2016 08:04PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments description

Duration:18 weeks. Beginning June 17th.
Start of Bingo

Important Links:
Books Read Thread
All Myth Teams Chatter
All Ranking Leaderboard Spreadsheet
Official Firebird Spreadsheet
Planning Firebirds Spreadsheet
Battleship Information and Rules
Olympic Games Information and Rules
Wheel-A-Thon Information and Rules
Bingo Information and Rules

•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•*´¨`*•.¸¸.•

Bingo Patterns:

Turtle: Reward - Change one square to a free square where you can read any book
☐☐☒☐☐
☒☒☒☒☒
☐☒☒☒☐
☐☒☒☒☐
☒☐☐☐☒

Picnic Table: Reward - Use a book from the Travel Agent Account
☒☒☒☒☒
☐☒☐☒☐
☐☐☒☐☐
☐☒☐☒☐
☒☐☐☐☒

Telephone Pole: Reward - Replace one of your square with another square on the board
☒☒☒☒☒
☐☐☒☐☐
☒☒☒☒☒
☐☐☒☐☐
☐☐☒☐☐

Letter P: Reward - Request a new card
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☐☐☐☒
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☐☐☐☐
☒☐☐☐☐

Bow Tie: Reward - Add an addition power square to your board, Must be a new board.
☒☐☐☐☒
☒☒☐☒☒
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☒☐☒☒
☒☐☐☐☒

Stamps: Reward - Increase all undiscovered x2 power squares to x3 power squares
☒☒☐☒☒
☒☒☐☒☒
☐☐☐☐☐
☒☒☐☒☒
☒☒☐☒☒

Diamond: Reward - Pre-feed the Bioshark on your current board.
☐☐☒☐☐
☐☒☒☒☐
☒☒☒☒☒
☐☒☒☒☐
☐☐☒☐☐

Coverall/Blackout: Reward - 50 Bonus points
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☒☒☒☒
☒☒☒☒☒

Wheel - A - Thon

Word Spell outs work for:
- first letter in the book's title,
- first letter in the author's first or last name,
- translator's or audiobook narrators first or last name,
- first letter in the series name, or
- first letter of a character's first, last, or nick-name.

Olympics:

Event 1 : Title Relay
Event 2 : Page Jumping
Event 3 : Book in to the Distance
Event 4 : Fight Club
Event 5 : Create a Chariot

**NO books may be STARTED for Olympics until July 2nd, 11am LONDON time**

message 6: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Aug 20, 2016 12:15PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Here is the current Bingo Card:

message 7: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Aug 29, 2016 06:28PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Attention

Hello Burning Firebirds!

I've put together some helpful information for this long journey ahead. We will be having 6 different games in this challenge. They will run in this sequence, in this order:

⚡ Battleship - 2 weeks
⚡ Olympics - 3 weeks
⚡ Wheelathon - 4 weeks
⚡ Bingo - 3 weeks
⚡ Labors of Bookules - 3 weeks
⚡ Emerge the Victor - 4 weeks

Burning Firebird Captain/Co-Captain's Availability:
The Captains/Co-Captain for The Burning Firebirds are in the United States of America.
► Captain - Rachel. Timezone PDT (Pacific Time). Available M-F after 6pm and weekends.
► Co-captain - Megan. Timezone CDT (Central Time). Available M-F evenings.
► Co-captain - Sherri.

There are a few things we'd like to know.

Our Team Planning Spreadsheet Access
The Captain and Co-Captain made a Planning Spreadsheet that we can all access. What we need from you is for you to send a PM to one of us with your email. For quick access please click on the one of the Captain or Co-Captain links to send your email. Once we are on GoodReads we will add you to the spreadsheet.

Rachel Captain
Megan Co-Captain

Important Messages
Sometimes the team will seem too chatty and info gets lost. If you don't want to read through all the posts you can look for these important messages. They will be posted with a special graphic like the one at the top of this message, so if you don't check in as frequent, you can look for these graphics on the top of the message. See spoiler for the special graphics.

(view spoiler)

Books Read Thread:
The Books Read Thread is only for the posting of read books by team members in order to assist the captains. This is because our books can get lost in the chit chat of our team thread.

Please click on the link to get to the Burning Firebirds Books Read Thread. **Link will be posted once thread is made. :)

Weekly Check-Ins
We will be posting a weekly check-in. This is to make sure everyone is on track with their books or needs someone to step in for them for a 2nd or 3rd book. In this challenge we are required to read at least one book per week. It's great to have this weekly check in because we get to see what others are reading and get to have interesting book discussions as well as chit chat. We have a Google Form we will post once a week. Please make sure to fill it out. It's quick and easy. It's also linked to out spreadsheet for the captains easy tracking.

Weekly Questions:
This is completely optional. It's just nice to get to know each other. We will be posting weekly questions with different themes. Feel free to take part in the discussions and see where they lead.

In Team Mini Games:
We will be having in team mini games. These are completely optional and it's a fun way to get the spark within the team. They are just for fun. They don't reflect any extra points to our team for the 6 main games. There might be House mini games and extra mini games. These would be up to the mods and would be announced to us from them. Points might or might not count towards our team.

⚑ Helpful Hints ⚑
✦ Searching Top Shelf Goals
(view spoiler)

✦ Searching for Text on Kindle or Amazon or Google Books
(view spoiler)

✦ For Cover Color Tasks
50% or more cover color

Handy Color Tool: Tin Eye Color Extract
      Handy Color Tool: Color Extract
      Handy Color Tool: Zonums
      Handy Color Tool: Color palette generator
      Handy Color Tool: Color Explorer

✦ Helpful Listopias to find books:
Titles that start with A or B
Titles that start with C, D, or E
Titles that start with F, G, or H
Titles that start with I, J, or K
Titles that start with L, M, or N
Titles that start with O, P, or Q
Titles that start with R, S, or T
Titles that start with U, V, or W
Titles that start with X, Y, or Z
NBRC Book Cover Lists
NBRC Difficult Letter Lists
Animals on Cover
Red Cover Books (Seeing Red)
Purple Cover Books (The Color Purple)
Blue Cover Books (Best Books with Blue on Cover)
Green Cover Books (Greenest Books Ever)
Yellow Cover Books (Yellowest Books Ever)
Orange Cover Books (Most Orange Books of All Time)
Pink Cover Books (In the Pink)
Brown Cover Books (In a Brown Mood)
Gold Cover Books (Black and Gold)
Black Cover Books (Great Books with Black Covers)
Grey Cover Books (Grey Daze)
White Cover Books (White as the Driven Snow)

✦ How to make a bookshelf
(view spoiler)

Communication Hierarchy

message 8: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:20AM) (new)

Guidelines for Posting Questions on W.O.B.B.L.E.
(view spoiler)

message 9: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 14, 2016 07:42AM) (new)

Hello Burning Firebirds. Please make sure to friend the Mod account. This is so your books are tracked on our official spreadsheet. This helps out the Mods and the captains. Thank you!

You may access it here: NBRC Mod Account

message 10: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 25, 2016 06:20PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments description

Week 1: Firebird Five:

Q1. What was your favorite book as a child and why?

Q2. What is THE most exciting thing you've ever done in your life?

Q3. If someone wrote a book about your life, what would they title it?

Q4. What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

Q5. Name one book you read but hated, and explain why you hated it.

Past Firebird Five Questions
Pre-Challenge Firebird Five:
(view spoiler)

message 11: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jul 01, 2016 04:30PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Reserved.

message 12: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 25, 2016 05:50PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments location

Hello Firebirds! I thought it'd be fun to track all the places we go while reading during W.O.B.B.L.E. and then when it's over see how many different places we've been.

I created a Google Map for it: HERE

So I'd need to know:

1. Where your book took place (if more than one location, let me know the one where the characters were the most). You can either message me with the locations or leave a comment here, I'll need book title, location, and rating, and I'll add your books/locations to the map. :)

2. Do you have a color preference for your marker/peg on the map? Here are the colors they could be: Bright Yellow, Medium Green, Dark Green (Megan), Cyan, Bright Blue, Dark Blue, Purple, Dark Red, Bright Red, Vivid Orange (Rachel), Orange, Brown, White, Black, Grey, Pink, and Lavender.

Feel free to add books you've read since the start of W.O.B.B.L.E and if it's easier, when posting a finished book you can add the location and rating.

message 13: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Aug 20, 2016 12:14PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Firebirds Badges Earned:

Pre-Challegne: I Have What It Takes!

Baby Firebird

You can copy the code here but take out the *'s at the beginning and end of the < > and I put a space after .com, you will have to take the space out.

<*img src="http://i1043.photobucket.com /albums/b431/rachelvlehcar/badge2_zpsnzszi0ne.png" width="200" height="200" alt="Baby Firebird"/*>

Battleship: We Finished All Hits and Miss Tasks!

Firebirds Battleship

You can copy the code here but take out the *'s at the beginning and end of the < > and I put a space after .com, you will have to take the space out.

<*img src="http://i1043.photobucket.com /albums/b431/rachelvlehcar/Firebird%20Battleship%20Badge_zpsrdhjzsvx.png" width="200" height="200" alt="Firebirds Battleship"/*>

message 14: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:09AM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments W.O.B.B.L.E. Burning Firebirds In House Game: Firebird Recipe

Firebirds

W.O.B.B.L.E. isn't officially here but that doesn't mean we can't have fun. For a "get to know you" team building activity we will be playing the Recipe of "What it takes to be a Firebird!"

This challenge is a recipe challenge. Find all the ingredients to earn points. This challenge is an all team challenge and it will take everyone's teamwork to get through it.

What to do:
⚡ Check and see what options you are able to do.
⚡ Decide what you'd like to read and partake for the next 2 weeks.
⚡ Read, have fun, and join in on the conversations.

⚡ If you finish this mini challenge you earn 10 points. This is not work W.O.B.B.L.E. Points.
⚡ Once we are finished we will all earn a baby Firebird badges. Perhaps we will grow to be fierce Firebirds by the end of 18 weeks.

Baby Firebird

Points of Interest:
⚡ Duration: June 8-17, 2016
⚡ We will be working as a team to finish this task.
⚡ You will be reading about 2 to 4 books during this mini challenge.
⚡ Same book rules apply as in W.O.B.B.L.E. rules, see here.

Firebirds and Books

What it takes to be a Firebird
Start to finish: 2 Weeks (Starts June 8 PDT - Ends June 17 PDT)
Servings: 14, players.

Ingredients:
★ 15 oz of Fiery Passion – Read a book with a red cover or fire on the cover. (4 teammates for this task)
★ 13 oz of Banana – Read a book with a yellow cover or title, author's first or last name, or characters name begins with B. (4 teammates for this task)
★ 13 oz of Lime Juice - Read a book from each others “read” list, their book must be scored a 3 or 4 star. (4 teammates for this task)
★ 16 oz of Lemonade – Pick one person from our team, visit their home page, click on the "Compare Books" link, and choose one book to read that you both have in common. (4 teammates for this task)
★ 14 Old-fashioned glasses - Go to the “W.O.B.B.L.E Teams Folder” and select a team other than ours and say hello. (14 teammates for this task)
★ Broken Ice – Write a review and share it in the challenge thread. Stating: Book, Author, Rating, and Review. It doesn't have to be an extra book to read. Can be a book read from this mini challenge. (14 teammates for this task)
★ Pour & Serve – Spell out the word FIREBIRDS as a team. Using either title and/or author’s first or last name, and/or characters. (9 teammates for this task)

F -
I -
R -
E -
B -
I -
R -
D -
S -

message 15: by RachelvlehcaR (last edited Jul 01, 2016 04:31PM) (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Reserved.

message 16: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Hello I'm Rachel, your Burning Firebirds Captain. Our Co-Captains are Jen and Megan. We are mainly an east coast team with west coast/central captains. How'd we swing that? I'm not sure. ;)

Here's a little about me. I'm live on the west coast of the USA. So, for many of you, I'm 3 hours behind you but for one of you I'm 12.5 hours behind you! Please keep this in mind. My availability for captaining will be M-F 6pm-midnightish and Weekends.

I recognize some of you and others of you are brand new to me, which is wonderful. I always find this is an amazing time to meet new people and getting to know about books I haven't hear before. My TBR list grows longer and longer since I'm finding more books to read from challenges like this. I've been captain of many team challenges both in NBRC and other groups, so some of you might have seen me.

I bring my kindle everywhere. Sometimes I'm lucky if I can read or pop in an audiobook while at work. While at home I do read a lot. I tend to like the darker side of literature. My favorite genres are horror, thriller, sci-fi, fantasy, mystery, nonfiction, and history.

Please, introduce yourself. There are a lot of new faces and we'd love to hear from you. What are you reading right now? Why did you join W.O.B.B.L.E.? Anything exciting planning?

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Hi all!! I can't wait for this challenge to start!! I love these things!!

message 18: by Natasha (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:22AM) (new)

Natasha | 784 comments My name is Natasha and I'm on the east coast. I recently started taking the train to work so I'll be able to squeeze in more reading time, which is great. I read at home as well, although I need to cut back on my phone use, which steals away reading time.

I enjoy reading fantasy, science fiction, history, historical fiction, and young adult.

I'm currently reading The Impostor Queen by Sarah Fine and Rogues, edited by G.R.R. Martin.

I jointed Wobble because I love challenges a little too much and it looked interesting. I like challenges because I read books I might not otherwise have read or discovered.

When I'm not reading, I enjoy playing video games, doing jigsaw puzzles, watching hockey, and playing with my reptiles.

Anyone is free to send me a friend request.

Also, my Wobble shelf name is wobble-2016.

message 19: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Nice to meet you Sarah and Natasha. Please stay tuned for more information. I will be posting more tonight. :)

message 20: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 297 comments Hello!

I'm Megs. I'm in Canada near the Rockies (Mountain time zone, so in the middle of most of you).

This is my first team challenge and I'm super excited. I love signing up for challenges and I definitely looking forward to this one!

I mostly read YA and fantasy, with the odd science fiction. But I am pushing myself to read more literary fiction and classics, with varying results.

I'm currently reading Dragon Heart by Cecelia Holland and I also have Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost on my phone for when I have a space moment anywhere.

When I'm not reading, I enjoy riding my horse and playing games (video games, board games, sports, anything)!

message 21: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Nice to meet you Megs! I will reply to all of you more once home tonight. It's difficult on this little phone screen.

Also make sure to check out some of the messages 5-15. I will be updating more tonight once home. :)

message 22: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Hi everyone, I guess I'm the 12.5 hour time difference firebird. But considering I'm a bit of a nightowlfirebird, I think we'll manage to chat once in a while.

I live in India, and am eagerly looking forward to this challenge. I'm currently reading 'Fellside' by M.R. Carey.

message 23: by Sherri (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:31AM) (new)

Sherri | 726 comments Hi everyone! I'm in Michigan USA and in the ET time zone; so technically I am supposed to be working and not checking on WOBBLE teams. :-)

I am currently reading The Angel Wore Fangs (Deadly Angels, #7) by Sandra Hill and My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) by Bec McMaster

message 24: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 646 comments Welcome Sarah, Natasha, Megs, Sumit, and Sherri! :)

message 25: by Megan (new)

Megan (celtic_girl) | 646 comments Hello everyone! I'm Megan and one of your co-captains. My timezone is CDT and I'm usually online in the evenings, though I do check in sporadically throughout the day.

I'm currently reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and Vegangelical How Caring for Animals Can Shape Your Faith by Sarah Withrow King .

message 26: by Marybeth (last edited Jun 08, 2016 03:11PM) (new)

Marybeth (narutofan14) | 262 comments Hello, I'm Marybeth and I live around the mountains of SC (EST). I am currently at school trying to finish my degree while working at the bookstore in my school. My actual class doesn't start until the end of June so I have a lot of free time to read.

This is my third team challenge and I'm really excited! i love challenges and am always signing up for them. I am hoping to finish a couple this month though.

I generally read anything YA but my favorite genres are Fantasy, Science fiction, Paranormal and contemporary romance.

I am currently reading Fire with Fire (Burn for Burn, #2) by Jenny Han , Rebel Heart (Dust Lands, #2) by Moira Young , Ashfall (Ashfall, #1) by Mike Mullin , A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2) by Sarah J. Maas and Yield the Night (Steel & Stone, #3) by Annette Marie .

message 27: by Jen (last edited Jun 08, 2016 02:02PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hello All! I'm Jen and I'm another of the Co-Captains for our amazing Burning Firebirds team! I am super excited to meet and read with all of you, as every single one of you, Captain-team included, is new to me. :-)

I read (and live) in Tucson, Arizona, U.S.A., which right now -- and probably for the whole of this challenge -- shares a time zone with the U.S. West Coast (so PDT).

I joined W.O.B.B.L.E. because I have learned that I love team challenges! This is my third, and all have been/are through NBRC. I love this group! (My first team challenge was Tower Teams IV in the fall-winter of 2015-2016, and my second is still going on -- the Around the World challenge.)

I am very much a night-owl (or a night-firebird), so I am usually asleep between my hours of 8a-12p. I try to go to sleep before dawn -- and I'd like to get at least eight hours of sleep -- and sometimes I'm even successful! So I might be "gone" for an hour or three plus and/or minus 8-12. ;-)

My favorite genres to read are Paranormal Romance and Urban Fantasy, but I'm willing to give most everything a try. (I'm in my second year of participating in Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge and this challenge really challenges me to read outside of my comfort-genres. It's been really eye-opening and pretty great!)

I'm currently reading book #5 in the Discworld series, Sourcery, by Sir Terry Pratchett. I'm reading it with a buddy here in NBRC. We've been slowly making our way through this series - we started with book #1 and are reading them in publication order - since I think November. I really love these books. I fell so in love with book #1, The Color of Magic, after reading it in November that I ran out and bought the entire series! By the end of January, I owned all 40+ of them. :-)

My plans include finishing the Spellmason Chronicles by Anton Strout (I need to read books #2 and #3), finally reading Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, reading the next books in the Guild Hunter series by Nalini Singh and the Fablehaven series by Brandon Mull, and possibly reading two classics with two different (but possibly the same) buddies here in NBRC. :-)

I think that's enough for now. It's all of the questions answered, at least. I need to read through the rest of what you all wrote next, though, so I might come up with more to say!

(And in case you can't tell, I'm one of the "Chatty Ones" on our team. I promise to never miss a post by anyone!)

:-)

message 28: by Jen (last edited Jun 08, 2016 04:06PM) (new)

Jen (reader44ever) | 2930 comments Hi All! I've gone through all of your posts and will reply all in one message, so as not to flood our thread with a waterfall of messages. ;-)

RachelvlehcaR wrote: "... I bring my kindle everywhere. Sometimes I'm lucky if I can read or pop in an audiobook while at work...."
I have a Kindle, too, but I rarely read on it and usually forget to take it with me. It mostly sits at home near my bed. I find that it's great, though, when I need a book for an unusual challenge task! I have so many books on it that I can usually find one to fit. :-)

Sarah wrote: "Hi all!! I can't wait for this challenge to start!! I love these things!!"
Me too, Sarah! This challenge looks like such fun! Where in the world are you? I'm in Arizona, melting. lol! :-)

Natasha wrote: "... I jointed Wobble because I love challenges a little too much and it looked interesting. I like challenges because I read books I might not otherwise have read or discovered.

When I'm not reading, I enjoy playing video games, doing jigsaw puzzles, watching hockey, and playing with my reptiles...."

"Interesting" is definitely one way to describe this W.O.B.B.L.E. challenge! I would probably have gone with "crazy fun." :-) (Though I'm hoping it won't be too crazy. Full of great stuff, yes; crazy, no. Please, lol.)

And reptiles? Really? How neat! What kind/s? :-)

Megs wrote: "... I mostly read YA and fantasy, with the odd science fiction. But I am pushing myself to read more literary fiction and classics, with varying results. ..."
I'm with you on the "mostly read fantasy," and I'm also with you on trying to push myself to read more literary fiction and classics, though most of my forays into literary fiction have been classics. ;-) Are you familiar with Book Riot's Read Harder Challenge? That's a great one for pushing yourself into reading books outside of your comfort areas. :-)

Sumit wrote: "Hi everyone, I guess I'm the 12.5 hour time difference firebird. But considering I'm a bit of a nightowlfirebird, I think we'll manage to chat once in a while.

I live in India, and am eagerly look..."

Welcome, Sumit! And yes, you're the 12.5 hour time difference. I think it's after 3a where you are right now. Are you awake? :-)

Sherri wrote: "...I am currently reading The Angel Wore Fangs (Deadly Angels, #7) by Sandra Hill and My Lady Quicksilver (London Steampunk, #3) by Bec McMaster."
I notice that those are both later-in-series books. Have you read the first ones? What do you think of them? I'm pretty sure I have book #1 for each of those series on my To-Read shelf, and I'm also pretty sure I have yet to read either of them. *sigh* Why do there have to be so many great and interesting books in the world? :-)

Megan wrote: "...
I'm currently reading The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien and Vegangelical How Caring for Animals Can Shape Your Faith by Sarah Withrow King."

How are you liking The Hobbit? I've been wanting to read it for, oh, at least 15 years now and can never seem to find the time. And is Vegangelical non-fiction? Sounds interesting! :-)

Marybeth wrote: "...I am currently at school for the summer semester and also working at the local bookstore at my school but i don't have to go to my campus class until the end of June so i have a lot of free time to read lately. ..."
What are you studying, Marybeth? And you work at a bookstore?! How fun!!!

And I see that you're reading Steel and Stone #3. That series is a buddy read in another of my groups and I was with them when we read the first book -- and I loved it! -- but finding time to read the next four books has proved problematic. (I bought the Kindle editions, but I'm afraid reading on my Kindle is hard for me and I just can't seem to bring myself to read a book/s on it, even though it's a series that I really want to read.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

And I think that's all of you! So far, at least. I'll be back later to check back in, but for now, I really need to read and finish my book for an Around the World task. :-)

message 29: by Amanda A (last edited Jun 08, 2016 04:40PM) (new)

Amanda A (carolinabookworm) | 627 comments Hi, I'm Amanda and I live in South Carolina. It is nice to meet all of you. I am looking forward to this challenge.

I also take my Kindle everywhere and I have a longish commute so I listen to audiobooks while driving and often at work too. I will read just about any genre but a few of my favorites are mystery/thriller, romance and YA. I am currently reading Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner and I just started listening to The Fairest of Them All by Cathy Maxwell. Have we started the Firebird Recipe game yet?

I joined WOBBLE because I am addicted to challenges. :-) I have lost count of how many I have participated in across various groups.

Here is a link to my shelf: wobble

message 30: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) Jen wrote: "Hi All! I've gone through all of your posts and will reply all in one message, so as not to flood our thread with a waterfall of messages. ;-)

Great job with replying to all messages, Jen. Wonderful gesture, and deeply appreciated.

It's 6 am here, and I am awake now!

Kindles are still not as popular in India, but they're getting there. Our subways and public transport are usually too crowded to read on, but I always find it heart-warming whenever I see a fellow reader, reading something that I consider worthwhile reading.

I take my Kindle pretty much wherever I go, and occasionally read on the iPad too. Never buying the latest one (Kindle Oasis) though because of the leather cover, which is an included accessory.

message 31: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 297 comments I actually just bought a new Kindle. I got a paperwhite after my 5 year old Kindle keyboard started freezing. I love the built in light but am still getting used to the touch screen.

message 32: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 390 comments Hi I'm Joyce

I live in Florida (transplant from NY this year). I love my kindle because I can access my books anywhere I am, on my phone if I really get stuck. I also love audio books when I'm cleaning and doing very mundane things.

Right now I'm reading Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson and Bright Blaze of Magic (Black Blade, #3) by Jennifer Estep

message 33: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments How exciting?! Wobble! New people, old friends, shiny people, oh the shiny people. :)

I love my Kindle and I had 4 of them. I have one to my mom. I'm now down to 3 of them. I have two fires, one I take to work, the other stays home ALWAYS!!! Then I have the paperwhite.

I love the touch screen and the built in light too. I remember I had a first generation Nook when they first came out. It didn't have a built in light. I was grumpy about that.

Really Sumit? Kindles are not catching on there? I can just see the responses when you see a fellow countrymen with their Kindle. The vision of it in my mind makes me giggle. The approving nod, with half smile, with little bow of acknowledgement. :D

message 34: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Sarah wrote: "Hi all!! I can't wait for this challenge to start!! I love these things!!"

I know! Isn't it a great feelings? No wonder people become reading challenge addicts. If you aren't one now, you soon will be!

message 35: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Natasha wrote: "My name is Natasha and I'm on the east coast. I recently started taking the train to work so I'll be able to squeeze in more reading time, which is great. I read at home as well, although I need to..."

I'm curious. Do you read on an e-reader or phone? A few of my friends do all their reading on their phones. I don't know how they do it. If I have left my kindle in the car or someplace while waiting I will break out the phone to read a kindle book on there. I prefer physical books or my kindle. I use to be a huge hardcover fanatic but they just hurt my hands too much because they are so heavy (since I like to read the big chunky books).

What video games do you like to play? I still love Harvest Moon :)
I'm a huge fan of Dead Island, I just love bludgeoning those zombies to death. I'm also a huge fan of the Dragon Ages. Those games are amazing. I'm even a fan of the Lego games, those are my cutesy games.

message 36: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 390 comments I said Hello to the Snarling Sabertooths here is the link

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 37: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Megs wrote: "Hello!

I'm Megs. I'm in Canada near the Rockies (Mountain time zone, so in the middle of most of you).

This is my first team challenge and I'm super excited. I love signing up for challenges and ..."

Another gamer! I play a lot of board games and some xbox games. What is your favorite board games? One of mine is Firefly the Board game and WAR. I'm really good at those games. My friends put on big game nights with about 6 to 10 people playing. It's great fun!

Good to see another Sci-fi/Fantasy fan!

message 38: by Joyce (new)

Joyce (eternity21) | 390 comments I can take the "E" in Firebirds

message 39: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Joyce wrote: "I said Hello to the Snarling Sabertooths here is the link

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/..."

Wonderful! You are already on it! Woohoo! I shall log it.

message 40: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Joyce wrote: "Hi I'm Joyce

I live in Florida (transplant from NY this year). I love my kindle because I can access my books anywhere I am, on my phone if I really get stuck. I also love audio books when I'm cle..."

I'm curious, how are you able to concentrate on the story when cleaning and such? I have a difficult time and have to re-listen to it. It makes me sad. :(

Perhaps my brain just can't handle it. I end up tuning out the book or I'm so focused on what I'm doing I miss the story.

message 41: by Megs (new)

Megs (meganlikesbooks) | 297 comments RachelvlehcaR wrote: "Megs wrote: "Hello!

This is my first team challenge and I'm super excited. I love signing up for ch..."

I have an XBox One. My favourite video game is Assassin's Creed Syndicate, but I've recently been playing a game called Hand of Fate which is pretty fun. And I play Rocket League with my boyfriend sometimes.

My favourite board game is Ticket to Ride, but I've played a bunch I really like. One of my good friends is a board game addict, so he hosts a lot of games nights as well.

message 42: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Sherri wrote: "Hi everyone! I'm in Michigan USA and in the ET time zone; so technically I am supposed to be working and not checking on WOBBLE teams. :-)

I am currently reading [bookcover:The Angel Wore Fangs|26..."

That was me too. I had a bit of time I was on the phone in my office. so bad...

message 43: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Marybeth, nice to meet you! Cool to meet another Sci-fi/fantasy fan. :)

Having good readying time is great, especially when it isn't a text book, right?

message 44: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Jen wrote: "I am very much a night-owl (or a night-firebird), so I am usually asleep between my hours of 8a-12p. I try to go to sleep before dawn -- and I'd like to get at least eight hours of sleep -- and sometimes I'm even successful! So I might be "gone" for an hour or three plus and/or minus 8-12. ;-)"

"a night-firebird" lol you crack me up!

I love The Color of Magic. I need to continue on in the series. It reminds me of fantasy style of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. How are you liking the series? There are so many books in that series. I really need to jump back into them.

message 45: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Jen wrote: "I have a Kindle, too, but I rarely read on it and usually forget to take it with me. It mostly sits at home near my bed. I find that it's great, though, when I need a book for an unusual challenge task! I have so many books on it that I can usually find one to fit. :-)"

NOOOOO! You do not! Kindle around the world are crying! Just lie to me and say you reading it all the time. :P

message 46: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Megs wrote: "I have an XBox One. My favourite video game is Assassin's Creed Syndicate, but I've recently been playing a game called Hand of Fate which is pretty fun. And I play Rocket League with my boyfriend sometimes."

Assassin's Creed is great. I have a bunch of the games. I've played Fate. I will even play Minecraft. Gosh the amount of hours I've put into that game. I'm remember asking my son, what kind of game is this? It's just a bunch of blocks, then next thing I knew I was making my own world and wasting so much time into it. My friends are really into League Legend.

message 47: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Amanda A wrote: "Hi, I'm Amanda and I live in South Carolina. It is nice to meet all of you. I am looking forward to this challenge.

I also take my Kindle everywhere and I have a longish commute so I listen to au..."

Nice to see you again Amanda. Yes, the problem with the new challenges coming and going you just have to join them. This one is a long haul for NBRC. I'm excited because there are familiar games as well as new.

message 48: by RachelvlehcaR (new)

RachelvlehcaR (charminggirl) | 4364 comments Joyce wrote: "I can take the "E" in Firebirds"

Put you down for it! So on the ball. :)

message 49: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) I went over to say hi to the Slender Lorises as well: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 50: by Sumit (new)

Sumit Singla (sumitsingla) RachelvlehcaR wrote: "How exciting?! Wobble! New people, old friends, shiny people, oh the shiny people. :)

I love my Kindle and I had 4 of them. I have one to my mom. I'm now down to 3 of them. I have two fires, one I..."

Lol, Indians don't do the acknowledging strangers bit too well. So, if I were to smile at a stranger and nod approvingly, I'd probably just get looks that say, "What? Why's that guy looking at me all creepy and weird?"

Not that folks are unfriendly, but many people just don't seem to have that ability.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 45 46