Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Leafy Seadragons

Comments Showing 1-50 of 3,089 (3089 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 61 62

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Aug 24, 2016 08:17PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31133 comments Mod
Leafy Seadragons

Mentor: Karen

Teddie ~ Captain
Annika ~ Co-Captain
Kirsten ~ Co-Captain
Eni
Anita
Kaitlin
Lexi
Marcelina
Rosina
Sophie
Zee

Elena
Luciana
Angelique
Robyn
Meghan
Denise

Ellie
Heather
Kerry-Anne

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:23PM) (new)

Battleship Board

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 5: by Eni (last edited Jul 21, 2016 12:21AM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments

✔ Eni - wobble_2016 - Portugal (Europe)
✔ Annika - wobble - Sweden (Europe)
✔ Teddie - seadragons-wobble - NY (USA)
✔ Anita - wobble‎ - Denmark (Europe)
✔ Kaitlin - 2016-wobble-reads - Pennsylvania (USA)
✔ Kerry-Anne (★Read-a-Lot Kez★)- wobble-2016 - Ireland (Europe)
✔ Kirsten - wobble - (Canada)
✔ Lexi - wobble - (USA)
✔ Marcelina - w-o-b-b-l-e -
✔ Rosina - nbrc-wobble‎ - Alberta (Canada)
✔ Sophie - wobble - UK (Europe)
✔ Zee - wobble-wobble - England (Europe)
✔ Elena - wobble‎ - (USA)
✔ Luciana/Kiki - wobble -
✔ Ellie - wobble -
✔ Angelique - wobble - Netherlands (Europe)

message 6: by Eni (last edited Jun 18, 2016 05:05AM) (new)

message 7: by Eni (last edited Jul 10, 2016 11:31AM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments

Duration: 17th June to 1rst of July

(view spoiler)

Ranking: 19
Awards:
- Most Ships Sunk - 15
- Most Hits - 35
- Least Misses - 20

message 8: by Eni (last edited Jul 22, 2016 06:09PM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments

Duration: 2nd July to 22nd July

(view spoiler)

Ranking: 13

message 9: by Eni (last edited Jul 22, 2016 05:56PM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments

Duration: 23rd July to 19th August

Countdown to the Start of Wheelathon

Rules

◈ Wheelathon will last 4 weeks
◈ To begin, the mods will "spin the wheel" and assign each team a W.O.B.B.L.E themed word
◈ The team's task is to read books to spell out the word for 10 points per letter
◈ The team will get an extra 15 bonus points if all the letters in the word are part of their spell-it-out
◈ For each word there will also be a colour task that the team can complete for a colour bonus of 15 points. The colour task will be randomised
◈ Once teams have read their word they can "re-read" the word to gain more points (10 points per letter, and relevant bonus points) or if they don't like their word, they can re spin the wheel to get a new word and the chance at more bonus points when completed. (Note: wheel can only be re spun if both bonus' have been achieved. That is, the spell-it-out of the word AND the colour task has been completed).

message 10: by Eni (last edited Jul 16, 2016 07:19AM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments

Estimated: 19th August to 2nd September

(view spoiler)

Estimated: 2nd September to 23rd September

(view spoiler)

Estimated: 23rd September to 21rst October

(view spoiler)

message 11: by Eni (last edited Jul 16, 2016 07:32AM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments r

message 12: by Eni (last edited Jul 16, 2016 07:18AM) (new)

Eni | 2101 comments r

message 13: by Annika (last edited Sep 01, 2016 06:30AM) (new)

Annika | 1744 comments

BONUSES

Bonuses left to use: 3

Current bonus tasks

message 14: by Annika (last edited Aug 20, 2016 01:26AM) (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Omni Bonus List

message 15: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments r

message 16: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Hi everyone!
I'm so glad to finally have our team!
Hope you are all as excited as me to start this challenge! Is it just me or is the 17th just so far away? :D

Anyway, I'm Annika and comes from a small town in southern Sweden. I've always loved reading and never leave home withot at least one book. I read from all genres but dislikes sci-fi and horror so try to stay clear of those. Currently I tend to gravitate towards mm contemporary or shifter romances - I just love happy endings. ;)

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

Hello everyone on my team! I'm über super excited to begin this reading journey! I'm a avid reader (average of 3 books a week)who is a highs hooked and I'm planning to be a librarian or publisher. :) this is my first major team game that I'm ever playing in hopefully well be very chatty which is what I heard to be like the best part in some peoples opinion. June 17th seems so Farragut now because that's the first day or no school which frees up so much time for me.

message 18: by Alex (new)

Alex | 1018 comments Hi Leafy Seadragons! I'm so excited for this challenge and to finally have the thread open so we can start nattering and planning. The 17th definitely feels like a long time away!

I'm Zee and I'm from Yorkshire, England. I never leave home without a book but don't have as much time to read as I'd like due to a busy job and exercise schedule. I've played in tower teams and wheel-a-thon before and my favourite part is always the strategising.... sure going to be a lot of that this time round! :)

★Read-a-Lot Kez★ (kez35) | 52 comments Hi everyone so looking forward to getting started. Im Kerry-Anne from Northern Ireland, ive played in wheel-a-thon before and take part in game challenges. I love reading young adult, fantasy, dystopia books but have loved the experience of trying other genres through challenges.

message 20: by Kirsten (new)

Kirsten (kielianne) | 940 comments Hey All!

I'm Kirsten & I live in a small town in Atlantic Canada. I am a Communication Disorders Technician so I work with hearing and speech in a hospital setting. That involves screening newborns, children, and adults' hearing, and provide speech therapy for preschoolers and adults. This keeps me busy (with no lengthy vacation time to speak of) so I usually only have a chance to read 1 book a week. However I do have 864 books to be read on my shelves at home and on my e-readers so I hope to be useful when we are looking for more obscure and/or less common books.

Can't wait to meet you all! Now lets win! (yes I am also very competitive hah)

message 21: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Sophie (drsophie) | 3636 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

Annika - I'm the same. Has become much easier since I've got the kindle and overdrive apps on my phone! No excuse to not have a book with me ever.

I'm from Kent, UK. I'm a trainee GP which keeps me pretty busy most of the time. My time might be a bit stretched over this challenge as I'm getting married in August (though most of the planning is done by this point so it should be ok!) and changing rotations back into the hospital which is always busy and unpredictable. Will be aiming to read about 2 books a week though, might just need to be v tactical about what I choose to read (not always my strong point - in previous TT games I've read more 1000 page books than I should!)

I'll read pretty much anything, but I'm with Annika in avoiding horror when I can

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

I'm also very competitive and I have a bunch of books downloades on my Kindle via NetGalley and also a Read and Review program from the book club which I am a mod in. Anyways, since my library is in walking distance from my house I told my mom that I was willing to go there once a week if need be.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

Sophie and Annika, I'm also with you regarding the horror stories. I honestly can't handle those because in the past I have had negative physical reactions. But hopefully if a prompt comes up that requires the genre of horror someone on the team will be willing to pick it up! :/ :)

message 24: by Sophie, The other one (new)

I tend to end up using my parents house as a type of library - there are probably over 1000 books there and we have reasonably similar tastes.

My OH has finally allowed me to start buying physical books now that we own a house and (his words) 'we're never moving again'! Wait to see how long it takes me to build up a collection. The local library isn't the easiest to get to and doesn't have a great collection, but I take advantage of their ebooks which I don't need to go into the branch for

You might all need to prod me in the competitive stakes... I like to do well, but sometimes get distracted

message 25: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Marcelina - for another challenge there's a Stephen King book on my list that I keep putting off. Hopefully if it comes up here as well I'll finally get round to it

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

Sophie I've found that libraries often offer e-books through an app that goes on desktop and apps on your phone. So for example on my phone(which I carry everywhere) I have the 3M cloud app and OverDrive therefore I am never truly bookless.

As for distraction as long as you set your notifications to get instant email whenever anyone else replies than this team is supposed to chatty (I know for one that I am) and overall we're all here to encourage each other.

message 27: by [deleted user] (new)

Sophie-I've also never read a Stephen King before *ashamed face*. Maybe when it comes time we could buddy-read one together? At the moment reading one seems very intimidating but I do better discussing all of my emotions with other people. ;)

message 28: by Eldarwen (new)

Eldarwen | 9986 comments Mod
Annikaaaaaaaaaa :-)

What? Too early for crashing other team threads? *grin*

Hello Sophie, long time no see! :-)

message 29: by Sophie, The other one (new)

I may take you up on that! Might be a book that's read in small chunks interspersed with something more light hearted. I tend to have about 2 if not 3 books on the go at once...

message 30: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Sophie wrote: "Hi everyone!

Annika - I'm the same. Has become much easier since I've got the kindle and overdrive apps on my phone! No excuse to not have a book with me ever...."

Lol, yeah, my tablet has definitely improved the weight of my bag when leaving home ;)
I usually also have an audiobook going whenever I don't have a book in my hands - I'm all about optimising my reading time ;)

Kiersten - I hope you don't think this challenge will decrease your TBR. Team challenges has this annoying habit of always increasing it. Wonder why... ;)

Libraries here has a very limited selection of books in English, I sometimes have more than some of them!
But the library in my old hometown is very good buying books I tell them to, but it is a bit of a commute.

message 31: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Annikaaaaaaaaaa :-)

Hello Sophie, long time no see! :-)"

Hii E!!

I was actually wondering why you didn't stop by earlier. Was a bit worried about you actually ;)

message 32: by Eldarwen (new)

I didn't want to be the first to post in here after all *grin*

Besides, you could have come by my thread as well, tsk ;-)

message 33: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Decreasing TBR... can that be done??? I've never managed it. For every book I read 2 or more appear. Team challenges are the worst (by which I mean the best) for it as everyone's so enthusiastic about what they're reading.

Audiobooks while driving have been a recent development for optimising reading time! Used to drive about 2 hours a day for work so got through a lot. My commute is now down to about 45mins and will be getting less which shrinks the 'reading' time.

message 34: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1627 comments Hi everyone

I leave in a small town IN Alberta on the Canadian prairies....I am so excited to finally have the team threads open....cant wait to get to know you all....

My reading habits are that I read all the time anywhere..... I am always with a book with in my grasp.....I work from home so that allows me to watch movies or listen to audio books....or check out GR....

I read all types of genres....I love a well written story.... BTW I am a huge SK fan (movies & books).... Sophie what is the SK book you will be reading???

message 35: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Eldarwen wrote: "Annikaaaaaaaaaa :-)

Hello Sophie, long time no see! :-)"

Hii! Has been a while - and it's never to early to crash threads.

message 36: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Rosina wrote: "Hi everyone

I leave in a small town IN Alberta on the Canadian prairies....I am so excited to finally have the team threads open....cant wait to get to know you all....

My reading habits are that..."

Desperation - not sure how I came to choose that one!

message 37: by Eldarwen (new)

Well, that is true, Sophie :-)

*waves at Rosina* Looks like I'm stalking you, huh? ;-) Happy to see you in this challenge as well!

message 38: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Eldarwen wrote: "I didn't want to be the first to post in here after all *grin*

Besides, you could have come by my thread as well, tsk ;-)"

Well, I could - But then using GR while driving is frowned upon =P
Or at least I assume so, no one has never specifically told me not to, but it seems unwise ;)

message 39: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments Sophie wrote: "Decreasing TBR... can that be done??? I've never managed it. For every book I read 2 or more appear. Team challenges are the worst (by which I mean the best) for it as everyone's so enthusiastic ab..."

I don't think so, I think a decreasing TBR is against GR policy? =P
I listen to audio books when shopping, walking or just basically leave my apartment.

message 40: by Eldarwen (new)

Let me be the first to tell you to STOP PLAYING AROUND when you're driving :-p Even with GR!

There.

:-))

message 41: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments You're no fun!
*pouts* ;)

message 42: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Driving and GR don't seem like the best combination

message 43: by Eldarwen (new)

Sophie wrote: "Driving and GR don't seem like the best combination"

See?? I'm not the only one who thinks so!

message 44: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1744 comments I all honesty I'm not. I don't even have internet on my phone and tablet ;)

But I will be leaving soon again, need to pick my brother up from the train station. He's moving back home from uni so it should be an interesting couple of weeks...

message 45: by Anita Reads (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:27AM) (new)

Anita Reads | 1677 comments Hi everyone.

How come I didn't notice that groups were posted until now?! :D
So excited for this team challenge. I definitely recognize a few of you from some of the other team challenges I've participated in.

Anyway, I'm Anita, and I'm from Denmark and I still can't believe I'm turning 30 in just a few months. GO AWAY! I don't wanna! *SIGHS*
Anyways I'm currently unemployed which sucks. I hope to find a job really soon, because it's getting boring. I did go to my 3rd interview (for the same position) yesterday, it's the longest I've gotten so far so *crosses fingers* I really, REALLY hope I get that, it's not even a job I just want because I need a job, I can really see myself working there for the next 5-10 years or more. I'm also scared to get my hopes too high though.

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

Ha ha! a decreasing TBR is the funniest thing that I've ever heard of. I think that Goodreads does make it illegal putting up ads and having the "want to read" button that's both tempting and impulsive. And from my experience, when someone gushes or raves about a book from my team, I can't help but add it. Glad to see that some people already know each other very well!

message 47: by Sophie, The other one (new)

Annika - enjoy having him home again...

Anita - good luck! I really hope it goes well for you, especially since it's a job you want

message 48: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:34AM) (new)

Driving and GR is definitely a recipe for potential disaster. Trust me I know how it is to ride with an adult driver who texts like a teenager :/ :p

Welcome Anita! Good luck finding/getting a job!

message 49: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1627 comments Eldarwen wrote: "Well, that is true, Sophie :-)

*waves at Rosina* Looks like I'm stalking you, huh? ;-) Happy to see you in this challenge as well!"

EEEE its EEEE.....how are you????? been missing you....saw you in Butterbeer recipes.....What team is your new home?

message 50: by Rosina (new)

Rosina | 1627 comments Sophie wrote: "Rosina wrote: "Hi everyone

My reading ..."

I haven't read that one its been on my list for a bit....why did you chose this one and not one of his more iconic and less heavy ones?

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 61 62