Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Team Challenges Archive > Jewelled Umbrella Squids

Comments Showing 1-50 of 4,150 (4150 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 82 83

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jun 20, 2016 08:09AM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30795 comments Mod
Umbrella Squids

Mentor: Kelly

Karla ~ Captain
Kim Anderson ~ Co-Captain
Becky (The Bookworm) ~ Co-Captain
Crystal
Diane Woods
Donna Flynn
Emily
Erika Biel
KellyJo
Logan
Michelle
Rachel

Divya
Lindsay IL
Victoria

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Jul 04, 2016 02:21PM) (new)

Battleship Board

(view spoiler)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

message 6: by Karla (last edited Jul 01, 2016 10:20PM) (new)

message 7: by Karla (last edited Aug 03, 2016 09:32PM) (new)

message 8: by Karla (last edited Aug 07, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Karla Here is the list of words we could get:

Tapirs
Terror Birds
Brahminy Kites
Sword
Dragon
Green Dragons
Labors
Humor
Dumbo Octopus
Wheel
Sprint
Staff
Buddy
NBRCBOM
Dholes
Bingo
Athena
Ancient
Kingdom
Twelve

message 9: by Karla (last edited Jun 23, 2016 04:17PM) (new)

message 10: by Karla (last edited Aug 19, 2016 02:45PM) (new)

Karla Wheelathon Omni Bonus List
We have four bonuses left
Each bonus may only be chosen once.

A) 1 free book from travel agent
B) Lower bonus level by 1 (request from mod)
C) Request re-spin (request from mod)
D) Use a different language title than read for the letter
E) Use last letter of word instead of first
F) Change color of one color task
G) Change task of one color task
H) Use a different cover than the edition read
I) Use a text color in the place of an item on cover
J) Use an item on cover in place of color in title
K) Replace 1 letter with one of your choice
L) Use a book twice in the same word
M) Use a book a different team has read
N) Use a book of less than 100 pages
O) Get all new Color bonuses (request from mod)
P) Spin for a new word without completing the color bonus (request from mod)
Q) Use an author's middle name/initial

message 11: by Karla (new)

Karla Reserved

message 12: by Karla (new)

Karla Reserved

message 13: by Karla (new)

Karla Reserved

message 14: by Karla (new)

Karla Reserved

message 15: by Karla (last edited Jun 08, 2016 01:11AM) (new)

Karla Hi everyone! I'm your captain.

A little about me, I will be 34 on Saturday. I am single with no kids. I live in Federal Way, Washington which is between Seattle and Tacoma. I'm a bit confused with what I am doing with my life right now. I wanted to be a teacher since I was 7, but after receiving my degree and substituting for three years, I no longer want to teach. I'm back in school studying Psychology, but have no idea what I want to do. In the mean time, I work as a home-care aide for my mom and I tutor one child in reading.

I will read just about anything, I'm not interested in M/M or erotica. My favorite book is Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. My favorite authors are Meg Cabot and James Patterson. I love the Harry Potter books and the Stephanie Plum series. Right now I am really into photography and am reading about the subject to make the most out of my new camera.

Where are you all from? What do you do for a living? What are your favorite genres, authors, books? I love team challenges and am really looking forward to spending the next few months getting to know all of you!

message 16: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 08, 2016 07:01AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Welcome, Teamies!

I'm Becky and I'll be one of your Co-Captains on this Wobble Adventure! I hope all of you are as excited about this challenge as I am and are looking forward to a fun summer! Your captains are here to help so if there are any questions, just ask...even if you are having trouble finding a book for a task. We have thirteen team members and chances are high that someone has read (or knows of) a book that will fit the task. We want everyone to feel comfortable with each other and above all, have a great time!

A little about me....

I'm married with three grown boys, two daughters-in-law, two adorable grandsons, two horses and one dog. I'm at home most of the time due to a health condition so I read...A LOT. I'll read most anything, but my favorite genres fall into the fantasy sub-genre: science fiction, space opera, urban fantasy, etc. I also really enjoy crime thrillers, mystery, romantic suspense, historical fiction, and westerns (yes...westerns...dad's influence). There are many more, but it's easier to say 'Fiction.' LOL!

When I'm not reading, I'm out at the barn caring for my horses and rebuilding my strength so I can get back out on the trails...hopefully this summer.

That's me in a nutshell! Let's hear from you! Tell us about yourselves!

message 17: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 17, 2016 05:16PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments

This is where you will find links to various sites mentioned throughout the challenge, including rules, etc.

***Link Pending*** Jeweled Umbrella Squids: COMPLETED BOOKS This is where you post your finished books. Only completion posts (books finished for this challenge) go in this thread We will have more information for you on this by the 17th.

***Game Rules & Links***: - Will be updated as the rules are posted!

Standard W.O.B.B.L.E. rules

Battleship Rules
Battleship Board - Jeweled Umbrella Squids (Google Spreadsheet)

***Other Links***

All Sea Teams Chatter

NRBC's Goodreads 101 For step by step instructions to insert photos, links (posts, threads, etc.), or spoiler tags into your posts.

WorldCat Library Catalog To verify page numbers for Goodreads listings that currently DO NOT show page numbers on the summary. Search by Title, ISBN, Author, etc. Mainly for the Captains and Co-Captains.

TinEye Labs Color Extractor - This is a great tool to see if your book meets the criteria for a cover color theme. EXAMPLE: (view spoiler)

If there is a site you would like added to the list, send me a quick PM with a quick description of the link and the link itself. To keep things from getting cluttered, let's keep it specific to Goodreads and/or search resources for this challenge. If you're unsure if your submission fits, just ask! : )

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Reserved - Co-Captain

message 19: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments Good morning! Nice to meet you Karla :) I am excited to be a jeweled umbrella squid. Neat little critter!

message 20: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments My name is Crystal and I live in Washington as well :) I moved here about a year and a half ago but had spent 6 months of the previous year here as well. I live in a tiny town with a population of 400 people :P It is about an hour south of Canada in the north central area of the state.

I love the Harry Potter series, too. I grew up with the maiden name Potter so I felt a kinship with the character! I am 24 so reading the books as they were publish made me feel like we were actually growing up together.

I read just about everything, more so over the last few years when I started doing good reads challenges. This is my first group challenge and I am so excited!

message 21: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo (kellyjo02) Hello All.

This is my first Team Challenge here. I have participated in challenges with other groups but nothing this long or with as many teams/ players.

I am married and have a 7 year old son, so things can be kind of hectic at times. We live in Central Texas and currently have a small herd of Brahman Cattle we are putting together for sons 4-H project. I work at a bank in the accounting department, so most days I listen to audio books while at desk working.
I do not watch much TV so spend most evenings and weekends reading. I read a lot of Fanfiction (Harry Potter, Supernatural, ect.) or anything else with a Urban Fantasy/Paranormal twist. I also like to read M/M and would say that my favorite right now is the Cut & Run series by Abigail Roux.

I am excited to get started on this challenge and get to know everyone on the team.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Crystal wrote: "My name is Crystal and I live in Washington as well :) I moved here about a year and a half ago but had spent 6 months of the previous year here as well. I live in a tiny town with a population of ..."

Welcome to the Team, Crystal!

You live in a gorgeous part of the country! Do you like living in a small town? I'd personally love it! We've tried for years to find an acreage out near one of the small towns within driving distance to my husbands job, but the economy doesn't want to cooperate. We'll see how the next year goes.

How neat that you shared Potter's last name! The staying power of the Potter series amazes me! They're going to be timeless classics.

You're about two years older than my youngest son and he grew up with the Potter books as well. My husband was a huge fan of the series so it became their special thing to share.

What other books do you like? Is there a specific genre, or author that you enjoy or want to read?

message 23: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments Hello KellyJo and Becky :)

I was living in Central Texas before a moved to Washington. I know it's been getting pretty hot there! It has been pretty hot here, too already. I can only imagine this summer. Unfortunately, our house does not have a proper AC so we have to be creative in keeping the house cool :)

Does anyone have a garden? Gardening is a new-ish hobby of mine.

message 24: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "Crystal wrote: "My name is Crystal and I live in Washington as well :) I moved here about a year and a half ago but had spent 6 months of the previous year here as well. I live in a tiny town with ..."

I love most everything. but westerns (sorry Becky!) hehe. I read a little of everything: fantasy, chick-lit, some mysteries (I love Agatha Christie), I love science fiction but not always alien novels, action and adventure, suspense and thriller, some YA but I am more picky of that genre, historical fiction.

It's probably shorter to list genres I do not read :P
Horror, westerns, poetry, erotica....I can't think of anything else. There are also exceptions to these that I have read and loved so I try not to be closed minded when it comes to picking a book.

I hate to state my favorite books because I always feel like I leave too many out but I recommend The Baker's Daughter The Life List Ready Player One

The Baker's Daughter by Sarah McCoy The Life List by Lori Nelson Spielman Ready Player One by Ernest Cline

I read a lot of Elin Hilderbrand, Sophie Kinsella, Lisa Scottoline, and Nora Roberts.

message 25: by Crystal (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments Do you guys read one book at a time or multiple?

I usually have one audio book and one book (paper back or ebook) going all the time.

Currently I am reading Outlander and listening to Captain Blood

Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon Captain Blood by Rafael Sabatini

to be honest Captain Blood just isn't my cup of tea. It is a classic pirate novel but there is a lot of talking and cunning and I find the way it's written to be a little dull.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments KellyJo wrote: "Hello All.

This is my first Team Challenge here. I have participated in challenges with other groups but nothing this long or with as many teams/ players.

I am married and have a 7 year old son,..."

Hi Kellyjo!

Your first challenge! Congrats! This will be a good one, especially with all the excitement surrounding it! Group challenges are my favorite. I love all the interaction with others and enjoy finding new books by word of mouth.

Your profile pic is adorable! It's great to see young kids involved with show stock or FFA. It teaches them responsibility and so much more. Good for you! Your son is sure a handsome fellow! Mine have been out of the house now for a few years. It's amazing how fast time has gone by. Wow!

Actually, when my first son left for college and I began to have more time on my hands, I started reading Fanfiction, then moved to Indie authors and now I'm here! LOL!

I really enjoy Urban Fantasy, too! The Dresden Files is a favorite. Have you read The Dresden Files? In fact, since you still read Fanfiction, I hear someone wrote a great Dresden fanfic that has the ponies from My Little Pony in it. I guess that's technically a crossover, but it's supposed to be pretty decent.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Crystal wrote: "Do you guys read one book at a time or multiple?

I usually have one audio book and one book (paper back or ebook) going all the time. .."

Let me see here...I usually have between 2 and 4 books going at one time. The Hubsters and I listen to an audiobook in the evening because TV just drives us both crazy and books are better anyway. Right now we working our way through the Throne of Glass series and are almost finished with book 2, Crown of Midnight.

To break it down, 1 audio with Hubsters, 1 audio/ebook combo for me and 2 ebooks for me. It all depends on what's happening with my Goodread's schedule. I enjoy buddy reads so when those come up I have more books going at the same time.

I also enjoy Nora Roberts, but she can be hit and miss for me. I just finished her Born In / Concannon Sisters trilogy. I loved that one and her In The Garden series. Some of her standalone didn't really grab me.

I haven't tried Lisa Scottoline or Sophie Kinsella yet, but I hear they are pretty good. Can you recommend one of their books? There's no rush time wise, but I'd really appreciate the rec! : )

message 28: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo (kellyjo02) Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "KellyJo wrote: "Hello All.

I am married and have a..."

I have read the first book in the Dresden Files series. It is one I would love to get back to, just have not had the time as of yet.

I regards to multiple books at once. I usually have at least two or three books going at one time. One audio and one ebook at a minimum. I sometimes have a paperback going also depending on my mood.

message 29: by Erika (new)

Erika Biel | 81 comments Hey everyone!
I am so excited to get started with this challenge! It is my very first one so bear with me while I figure out how the games go and everything else that goes with them.

A little about me, I'm 24 from upstate NY and just graduated with a degree in English. Eventually I plan to go to grad school for teaching, but I want to give myself about 6 months before I relocate and start the "real world". When I'm not working as a nanny and a receptionist, I'm usually reading or running. I love the Harry Potter series (I've read it a total of three times), but I also love the classics/adventure stories and recently have found interest in the post-modern fiction category. I will read pretty much anything, except I'm not a huge fan of YA/romance.

I'm so excited for this to start!

message 30: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 08, 2016 09:13AM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments KellyJo wrote: "I have read the first book in the Dresden Files series. It is one I would love to get back to, just have not had the time as of yet."

I know what you mean. It's hard with a youngster at home, real life, and then there are so many awesome books out there that it's hard to pick which one to get to first!

The audiobooks for that series are out of this world. No joke. James Marsters does the most incredible 'creature' voices I've ever heard! I resisted audiobooks for years, but because of James....*swoons*...I'm now a fan. I even have an Audible membership, which I swore would never happen!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Crystal wrote: "Does anyone have a garden? Gardening is a new-ish hobby of mine.."

Sorry, I missed this!

I used to, but I have a black thumb when it comes to veggies. Flowers I can do and I love love LOVE roses! What are you growing?

message 32: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo (kellyjo02) Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ wrote: "KellyJo wrote: "I have read the first book in the Dresden Files series. It is one I would love to get back to, just have not had the time as of yet."

I know what you mean. It's hard with a youngs..."

I will have to add this to the list of books to pick up on audible. That may let me get to it quicker. LOL
I have way to many books in my TBR pile.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Erika wrote: "Hey everyone!
I am so excited to get started with this challenge! It is my very first one so bear with me while I figure out how the games go and everything else that goes with them."

Hi Erika and Welcome to the team!

Another first timer! Don't worry, you're going to do great! Once things start, it'll be so much easier than it first sounded. We're here to help you with any questions you have, so just let us know what you need. : )

Congratulations on your English Degree! That's fantastic! My daughter in law just finished her masters and is teaching English at the high school level. She absolutely loves watching her students grow and excel. It's a very noble profession.

So you are a nanny! I have a girlfriend that also works as a nanny. She really loves it and adores the children. It's pretty easy to get attached to them. I've cared for children in my home at one point in my life as well and the relationship is very special.

I'm right there with you on YA/Romance. I try to go with the attitude of a good book is a good book, but my bitter pill is any YA in a high school setting. I survived all the drama of mean girls when I was young! I don't need to read about it! LOL!

Post Modern Fiction...don't think I've tried it yet. What's your favorite book in the genre?

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments My TBR grows tremendously during team challenges. A lot of us refer to it as Mount TBR. At least I know what I'll be reading for the next oh...forty years or so! LOL!

message 35: by KellyJo (new)

KellyJo (kellyjo02) Yep, I have a Mount TBR. It currently has over 2,000 books that I have picked up and not read. Granted a lot of them are freebies thru amazon, but still that is way more than I will read in the next year or so. I am hoping to use this challenge as a way to clean up Mount TBR. Hopefully I can read and cull enough to get it to a more manageable size.

message 36: by Erika (new)

Erika Biel | 81 comments I would have to say Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is my all time favorite, but a lot of books fall under that category than you would think (most science fiction is included in it). Also, anything by David Foster Wallace is wonderful.

message 37: by Crystal (last edited Jun 08, 2016 10:27AM) (new)

Crystal Balboni (pastryandprimer) | 765 comments @Becky ♡The Bookworm♡

I love Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night. There were a few times I laughed out loud :)

For Lisa Scottoline, Don't Go was the first I read by her and I think I still like it the best so far. She has a popular Rosato and Associates series but I haven't started it yet.

In my garden I am growing vegetables. It isn't very large but I have cucumbers, beans, peas, cabbage, zucchini, swiss chard, carrots, beets, cauliflower, celery, kale, brussels sprouts, lettuce, melons and some herbs so far. It isn't enough of anything to feed myself and my hubby yet like I eventually want but it'll give me an idea of what I can grow and what I am not advanced enough to grow. haha. I don't have a green thumb, but I am persistent.

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments KellyJo wrote: "Yep, I have a Mount TBR. It currently has over 2,000 books that I have picked up and not read. Granted a lot of them are freebies thru amazon, but still that is way more than I will read in the nex..."

I wish you luck! I should probably go through mind and cut out the books that I know I'll never read. Some of them were added when I first started on Goodreads and my reading appetite has expanded or changed completely in some areas. I ran across a book the other day that I KNOW I'll never read.

I think I'm making SOME progress though. That first year I shelved about 400 books (before I went completely insane) and I've read 619 books since then. That's progress...I think...if you don't look at the 1300 books I've added in the last 18 months! LOL!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Erika wrote: "I would have to say Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close is my all time favorite, but a lot of books fall under that category than you would think (most science fiction is included in it). Also, any..."

Thanks, Erika! That does make sense.

I've heard of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close! I'm not sure why I hadn't already put it on my TBR. It sounds really interesting!

message 40: by Erika (new)

Erika Biel | 81 comments It's amazing! But when you read it, make sure to have a box of tissues next to you haha. It's pretty emotional!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Crystal wrote: "@Becky ♡The Bookworm♡

I love Sophie Kinsella's Wedding Night. There were a few times I laughed out loud :)

For Lisa Scottoline, [book:Don't Go|1579316..."

Thanks for the recommendations, Crystal! I'll check those out!

Wow, sounds like you have a big garden going! That's great! I'm sure you'll do really well, too. With all the information that is available online these days, it's pretty easy to find help with gardening issues. It's been a life saver with some of my perennials.

Good luck with your garden this year!

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments Hey gang!

I'm Kim, another co-captain. I'm 31 from a tiny town in Central Illinois. I'm married with 2 kiddos. Joon is 16 and Mikey is 8.

Things a little crazy for me right now. I used to work part time, until Monday when my company fired half the workforce and made all the part-timers go full-time. So, bear with me while I get into the swing of my new schedule. Most importantly, rest assured. I listen to audio at work, so my reading shouldn't be affected. Ha ha.

I like to read just about everything, but struggle the most with Non-Fiction, Historical Fiction, and Westerns. I read a lot of Young Adult.

My favorite author is probably Colleen Hoover.

I'm obsessed with my two kitties (Nigel and Nala), leggings, Nerds blizzards with chocolate ice cream, and cereal. I also like to play RPG games on the PS4.

I'm looking forward to wobbling with you all!!!!

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Erika wrote: "It's amazing! But when you read it, make sure to have a box of tissues next to you haha. It's pretty emotional!"

Gotcha! I'll be sure to read it at the right time and stock up on the ice cream, too! LOL!

I actually like tear jerkers if I space them far enough apart. Unfortunately this weekend I stumbled into three of them in a row. I read A Thread Unbroken...which is about a father searching for his kidnapped daughter. My husband and I started Crown of Midnight and there was an unexpected turn of events. I had also started The Sandcastle Girls. It was rough going for awhile.

The Sandcastle Girls hit me hard. The author's story is about victims and survivors of the 1915 Armenian Genocide. While giving character history and general history of the event, he focused heavily on the women and children.

Even though the overall story was pretty good, the violence and inhumanity was horrifying. Reading it in graphic detail was shocking to say the least.. There were bright spots of courage among the darkness, but I was still pretty depressed by the time I was finished. I would've appreciated it much, much more if it hadn't been for the other two books tugging on my heart strings.

message 44: by Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (last edited Jun 08, 2016 12:43PM) (new)

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments Hey Kim!

I didn't know you were obsessed with leggings! I love leggings in all kinds of colors! We could be soul sisters...except for the western genre thing. LOL! Just kidding... You might want to take a look at The Promise of Jenny Jones though. People who despise westerns have been known to love this book! It's one of my all time favorites. I laughed all the way through it! Almost...it has it's tender moments.

I think the problem is that there aren't enough western authors out there to maintain a high quality of available books.

message 45: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 352 comments Apparently, I joined the wrong team *looks around sheepishly* Hi all!

message 46: by Kim (new)

Kim Anderson (kimmatski) | 1223 comments Hey, Diane! Just tell them we sent you over as a spy to see if they'd notice...

Becky ♡The Bookworm♡ (mckennamuse) | 4205 comments No worries, Diane! It happens to at least one person in every challenge. This way you get a chance to meet even more people! We're glad to have you here!

message 48: by Logan (new)

Logan (loganturner) | 1499 comments Hi team! I'm Logan and am really excited for Wobble to start! My reading has really dropped off my usual pace this year and I'm hoping this will jumpstart things for me. I love team challenges!

I'm married, no kids, with a dog. I've been living in Chicago for 12 years now but was born and raised in Nebraska. I turn 35 in July! Besides reading I am a big planner girl - stickers, pens, decorated and all. I recently got into World of Warcraft, love to play around with web coding/development, and am a big board game fan as well.

Like Karla, I've been struggling to find a career I really love. Lately I've been focusing on building my own businesses so that I can quit my job (I'm a grant writer) and work from home. I'm a triathlete and a former dancer and I run a fitness and accountability group for fm some friends on Facebook so I'm looking into health coaching and group fitness instruction. But like Kim and Becky (hi Becky!!!) I am also crazy about leggings. A friend introduced me to LuLaRoe recently and now I am obsessed and just this week sent in my paperwork to be a consultant. I'm excited about all of the prospects in my future!

For reading, I tend to jump around a lot. I like almost everything except literary fiction, hard Sci-Fi and most contemporary stuff. I don't get as much enjoyment out of it as I do from an exciting plot or a swoony romance. I like fantasy, space opera, historical mysteries, romance, m/m, thrillers, and urban fantasy.

So that's me! I can't wait to try out some new books with you all!!

message 49: by Sally906 (new)

Sally906 | 1607 comments G'day All

Just a friendly and mellow mammoth popping in to spy on say hello to neighbours - won't have time to be a social butterfly once the battle challenge begins :)

message 50: by Diane Woods (new)

Diane Woods | 352 comments Kim wrote: "Hey, Diane! Just tell them we sent you over as a spy to see if they'd notice..."

I like that idea! ;)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 82 83