Booktube Reads #mglit discussion

Middle Grade Summer Reads 2016

Comments Showing 1-33 of 33 (33 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Akoss (last edited Jun 18, 2016 02:15PM) (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Hello everyone!

So I'm not liking this title much anymore for the next read-a-thon and came up with others I plan to choose from. If you want to play you can let me know which one you like the best. :)

Camp Adventures and Mayhem Read-a-thon
Summer Camp and Adventures Read-a-thon
Smore's and Mayhem Read-a-thon

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments The smores one is my favorite of these three, but I'm all for simplicity and something like #MGSummerReads.

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Ha! Good thing I picked the right one or I would feel really silly! Sorry, I just saw that you had already chosen and posted your video a couple of days ago. The videos I've been watching have been from my Watch Later list and I had not checked my feed in a few days. Okay, gotta go watch your video.

message 4: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Ha! Good thing I picked the right one or I would feel really silly! Sorry, I just saw that you had already chosen and posted your video a couple of days ago. The videos I've been watching have been..."

lol XD
That's ok! I figured you didn't know about the video when you posted the comment. But I appreciate the feedback regardless! :)

message 5: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tyree | 23 comments Mod
I love S'mores and Mayhem...definitely getting excited :P

message 6: by Elizabeth (new)

YES, HERE WE GO! Starting Babysitter's Club now :D

message 7: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Sorry I haven't posted my TBR video yet. I filmed it last week, but haven't finished editing it yet because I was reading all I could before the month ended. I will get it up today. I've got some good stuff to read this week and I'm excited.

message 8: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "YES, HERE WE GO! Starting Babysitter's Club now :D"

I will be listening to The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher on my way to work today! :D

message 9: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Sorry I haven't posted my TBR video yet. I filmed it last week, but haven't finished editing it yet because I was reading all I could before the month ended. I will get it up today. I've got some g..."

No worries!!! :)

message 10: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Akoss wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "YES, HERE WE GO! Starting Babysitter's Club now :D"

I will be listening to The Misadventures of the Family Fletcher on my way to work today! :D"

I've never heard of that one. Hope it's good. Have a good day at work.

message 11: by Elizabeth (new)

Akoss - Awesome! I've never read it so I'm really looking forward to hearing your take on it.

Elizabeth - Looking forward to seeing what you're reading!

Happy Reading ya'll

message 12: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments I am off to a slow start because of needing to get some of my already filmed videos up and running. I started Little Blog on the Prairie and am about 50 pages in. It is really cute. This family has gone to Frontier Camp where it is the 1890s. I think I would really like to try something like that. I wonder if there are places like that.
Hope you all are having a good weekend.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments I was trying to finish my first book last night. Ha! I even read during the fireworks, but I got too sleepy later and had to go to bed with only 11 pages left. Anyway, I finished Little Blog on the Prairie first thing this morning and I really liked it. I am seriously thinking of searching around to see if there are any actual camps like Camp Frontier. I totally identified with the mother in the story. There were a couple of things at the end that were a bit over the top that I thought were not very believable, but that's okay, it was a very enjoyable read and I hope you guys will have a chance to read it some time. I would love to discuss it with someone.
While cooking breakfast, I put in One Crazy Summer. The second disc is playing now as I'm typing. Wow, that mother is ridiculous!! Hope ya'll have a great day. I will check in later.

message 14: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "I was trying to finish my first book last night. Ha! I even read during the fireworks, but I got too sleepy later and had to go to bed with only 11 pages left. Anyway, I finished Little Blog on the..."

You're doing great!!!! :D
By the way which mother are you talking about? Big Ma or the girls' mother? lol

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Akoss wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I was trying to finish my first book last night. Ha! I even read during the fireworks, but I got too sleepy later and had to go to bed with only 11 pages left. Anyway, I finished ..."

The girls biological mother that they go to visit. I'm still near the beginning of the book, so hopefully she will improve as her exposure to her daughters continues. I'm sure she is like this because she really doesn't know how to be a mom.

message 16: by Elizabeth (new)

I'm on book 3, High Wizardry, and will probably be starting book 4 as well (its a super short book so I'm thinking I'll be using it as breaks from the longer books)

You guys are doing great! I love that you're reading books I've never read, my TBR is growing so much!

message 17: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "Akoss wrote: "Elizabeth wrote: "I was trying to finish my first book last night. Ha! I even read during the fireworks, but I got too sleepy later and had to go to bed with only 11 pages left. Anywa..."

Oh!!! I'm really looking forward to hearing what you will have to say once you're done. Cecile is one complicated woman but also loyal. :D

message 18: by Elizabeth (new)

I FINISHED ESCAPE FROM MR. LEMONCELLO'S LIBRARY AND YOU NEED TO READ IT.

That is all for now, thank you for your time :D

message 19: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth wrote: "I FINISHED ESCAPE FROM MR. LEMONCELLO'S LIBRARY AND YOU NEED TO READ IT.

That is all for now, thank you for your time :D"

lol
OK OK!!!

message 20: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Just finished 2nd book, Dog Days by Jeff Kinney. I'm about halfway into One Crazy Summer and I'm about to start Echo on audio while I do some work around the house.

Beth, I put Mr. Lemoncello on my library list.

message 21: by Elizabeth (new)

Sweet! I'm looking forward to hearing what you guys think of Lemocello!

message 22: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
So I've only managed to read 2 books but I thoroughly enjoyed them!!!
Thank you ladies for joining in this fun!!! <3
I hope to get to my wrap up this weekend.

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Yay for two great books! It's always a bonus if you really like what you are reading. I'm having a good reading week too. I have enjoyed just about everything I've read so far.

I have about two hours left on Echo by Pam Muñoz Ryan and it is absolutely beautiful!!!! I'm so glad that I got the audio version too because the story has a lot to do with music, so the audio version actually has lots of music in it and its amazingly beautiful. You wouldn't believe what some people can do with a harmonica.

I picked up Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library from my library yesterday and I just started it and have it playing in my kitchen while I'm on the computer right now. The premise does look really good. Thanks for the recommendation Beth.

message 24: by Elizabeth (new)

Echo sounds like something I should check out!

I love these Read-A-Thons Akoss, thank you for having them and this thread for us to discuss the books together!

I finished 5 books for the readathon, uploading my final vlog now because I'll be out tomorrow.

message 25: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth wrote: "Yay for two great books! It's always a bonus if you really like what you are reading. I'm having a good reading week too. I have enjoyed just about everything I've read so far.

I have about two h..."

Isn't Lemoncello GREAT?? I have the 2nd book now and am enjoying it as well, although the narrator changed up the way he does Mr. Lemoncello's voice and that is bothering me some.

message 26: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments I had high hopes for yesterday and even though I made good progress in both books, I didn't quite finish Echo or Mr. Lemoncello. So this morning I have just finished Mr. Lemoncello and loved it. Now I'm going to pocket my Playaway of Echo and finish the last two hours of it while I do some more housework. I'm also still reading Campfire Weenies. I will finish both of those before I film my wrap-up. Then I'm joining in on the Pantsalong. I've never read any of the Traveling Pants books.
This has been really fun. Beth, I have enjoyed your Vlogs. Thanks Akoss, I have my mg food books lined up and ready for the next readathon.

message 27: by Elizabeth (new)

So glad you enjoyed Lemoncello...I look forward to your wrap up!

message 28: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Elizabeth, I'm trying to decide whether or not to proceed with Middle Grade Noms or replace it with a read along.
I started a thread about it, if you have time to check it out.

message 29: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments Elizabeth wrote: "So glad you enjoyed Lemoncello...I look forward to your wrap up!"

Hey Beth, I was at a library book sale the other day and picked up some later books in a series that you are reading. Message me on Youtube and I will tell you what I got and see if you want me to mail them to you.

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Whisted So I know it's SUPER after the fact, but I just finally finished one of my Summer MG Reads (A Summer of Sundays) and it was spectacular! Thank you, Akoss for recommending it! :D

message 31: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Meadows (lizziefaye) | 76 comments I've never heard of that one. Who is the author?

message 32: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Whisted Elizabeth wrote: "I've never heard of that one. Who is the author?"

Lindsay Eland!

message 33: by Akoss (new)

Akoss | 113 comments Mod
Sarah wrote: "So I know it's SUPER after the fact, but I just finally finished one of my Summer MG Reads (A Summer of Sundays) and it was spectacular! Thank you, Akoss for recommending it! :D"

ANYTIME!!! :D