Play Book Tag discussion

Archives 2016-2017 > 30 Days of Books: Day 22

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1302 comments Today's prompt is your favorite book you own. I don't have a huge library, but I have increased it over the last nine years. And, you'd think I'd pick one of my many signed books, especially ones signed by the more famous authors like Stephenie Meyer, Cassandra Clare, and Markus Zusak. But, I'm choosing something with more sentimental value.

When I was ten years old, my parents gave me a whole slew of books: The Secret Garden, Japanese Children's Favorite Stories, The Reluctant Dragon, and Pinocchio. They thought maybe they could get me to read. They thought wrong, lol.

I did read a few of the stories in Japanese Children's Favorite Stories and I even tried to read The Secret Garden, but I just didn't like to read back then. Once I enjoyed reading, I read The Secret Garden and I enjoyed the story. It's not my favorite book, but it was a fun story. I have plans to read the other three eventually.

I'm choosing these books because even though I haven't read most of them, they mean a lot to me. I've had them for nearly 20 years. They're a little beat up, but I wouldn't trade them in for newer versions. I guess I could buy newer versions and read them just to keep these on my self the way they are. But, I'll never get rid of them even if I end up hating them when I read them. You see, they have my mom's writing in them. Ever since my mom passed away three years ago, I've gone through and put gifts from her in more prominent places in my home to help me remember her.

What is your favorite book you own?

message 2: by Susie (new)

Susie | 4488 comments Most of my books are in electronic form these days, and of the print ones I have owned I have a habit of lending them to people and never getting them back. I don't mind though. It's one of the things I love about reading, the sharing. I think I love my Harry Potter series the most.

message 3: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7756 comments I also do not own many books. I move a lot and they are such a pain to drag around the country with me! I hope someday to actually stay in one place for more than a couple of years and dream of built-in bookshelves full of books and tchotchke.

Instead of picking a single book, I will say that I love my "science shelf." I love mainstream science books and they are the one genre that I purchase (in paperback) and never get rid of.

message 4: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4965 comments Way too many. I'm a book hoarder, though most of my new stuff is electronic nowadays.

I guess my favorite would be my paperback set of The Chronicles of Prydain. I hope to one day get a hardcover set.

message 5: by JoLene (new)

JoLene (trvl2mtns) | 1532 comments Hum....tough one. Once I read a book, I usually give it away -- either to a friend or the library. I'm not a re-reader so there's no point in keeping them for me.

However, my husband likes to keep books --- I haven't figured out if he re-reads them or not. One of my favorite books is The Lions of Al-Rassan which he had bought, so I'm pretty sure we have a copy of it somewhere :-D.

message 6: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 195 comments I have a very artistically done collectors edition of The Pilgrim's Progress.

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy | 8509 comments Many, but right now the bulb is out in my "library" and I am looking lovingly at the Night Circus.

message 8: by Patty (new)

Patty | 80 comments I have an old Uncle Tom's Cabin. I am not sure how old it is. It has someone's signature on it that is dated 1894. I received this book a couple years ago for my birthday and this started me finding old classics and rereading them.

message 9: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5790 comments To Kill a Mockingbird .... I own five different editions, including a first edition (which I bought at the Friends of the Library sale!)

message 10: by Blueberry (new)

Blueberry (blueberry1) Right now it is Inside the Shadow City because I found it free at a book giveaway at the Berkeley Book Festival I went to last weekend. Otherwise I might have said my Mrs. Pollifax collection.

message 11: by Marnie (new)

Marnie | 106 comments I would have to say a book that my grandfather owned when he was little, it is a children's bedtime story book. It's the old books from my childhood that are my favs and then all of my religious bibles and texts from various religions I find them beautiful.